Relapse (flare)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Relapse (flare)?

Hi everyone. I haven't been around much because life is literally non-stop with work, sports (my son, all-stars, etc. I'm going to start this by saying that my MS neuro is nowhere near forthcoming with information on MY ms. When asked straight out if X symptoms were from,, MS...she changed the subject. Needless to say, I am less than thrilled.

So now I think I *might* be having a flare. I have immense, life-stopping pain/tightness in my left shoulder and neck, tingling and numbness in extremities and lips and worsened cog fog and fatigue.These are either new symptoms of worsening of old symptoms.

Since my doctor is so personable and won't tell me anything, I ask the question here. Could this be a flare? Should I call the waste of a neurologist that I see. Sorry for silly questions but I truly don't know the answer!

Thanks
    Tracy

It does sound like it. If it starts easing off after a bit you'll have a pretty good idea.
    To be honest your quite intense disappointment in your neuro is more of a worry.
    We need to collaborate with them for our benefit. Are you able to change docs?
    I changed about 4 1/2 years ago and am much happier with doc now. It meant extra travel and cost but I consider it worth it.
    All the best.

Comment

Originally posted by wholenewworld View Post
      These are either new symptoms of worsening of old symptoms.
      The simplified definition of a flare is the onset of new, or the worsening of existing, symptoms that lasts at least 24 hours in the absence of fever or infection. So you meet half the definition already.

Have your symptoms lasted continuously for at least 24 hours? Do you have a fever or infection? Along the lines of a fever, have you had elevated body temperature for any other reason lasting more than 24 hours? If yes to the first, and no to the other two, you meet the definition of a flare.

Not every flare needs to be treated, and treating flares doesn't change the ultimate outcome. But recognizing a flare might influence whether your treatment med should be changed.

Whether your neuro gives you information is different than whether she acts appropriately to manage your condition based on signs and symptoms. But having good communication with a doctor is tremendously helpful in one's ability to live well with a chronic condition. So if your neuro isn't a good communicator, it might be time to look for a new doctor who is.

Comment

Working...
      X