Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone take ampyra only once a day?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does anyone take ampyra only once a day?

I'm not sure if it must be taken 2x a day. It has helped with my strength, my walking speed is significantly better (my physical therapist says it is, too) but I really do think this might be due, at least in part, to an awful, months long relapse finally calming down.

I was diagnosed in March, had 2 rounds of solumedrol (which maybe made me a little worse for a month or two), and am going for my 3rd tysabri infusion Friday. I still have pretty bad gait and balance issues, which my dr thinks are due to spasms, and tremor. He really wants me to take baclofen, but it makes me way too sleepy and I think it makes my tremor and balance worse. I'm taking clonazepam for the tremor, and it does help a lot, but I hate the idea that it's an addictive drug. And if I take the baclofen too, the tremor comes back.

Anyway, I think maybe the ampyra 2x a day makes my balance worse, too. I forgot evening doses a few times and I really seemed to be better off the next day. I'm really too skinny (I weigh maybe 104-105 lbs, I'm 5'2) so maybe it's just too much for me?

Anyway, I know this whole post is crazy, I'm sorry for that. I'm just trying to figure out what to do. Does ampyra HAVE to be taken 2 times a day for any benefit? Is it one of those meds that have to stay constant in your system for any help or can it be taken once a day every day?

I will ask the neurologist Friday, but I just wondered if anyone here had similar issues? Thanks for any help, ideas, info or advice.

Hello
    Yes Ampyra was doing good for me but the full dose of two pills a day was also giving me balance issues and You can't split those pill.
    So my Dr gave me 4amino, 4 pills of 4.5 mg ( the same that Ampyra but only $60!!)
    And I can take only 3/4 of the dose. Two on the morning and one at nite.
    For me I did have to stay on 1/2 dose for several weeks before take more.
    I have been on for 9 months now and may try again the full dose again.
    We are all different so we have try and error.
    Good luck.

Comment

I took Ampyra twice a day for about three years but when I started having a lot of trouble sleeping at night I switched to once a day. My doctor was okay with that. And it really helps keep me walking. The once a day was great. I think it's okay to do.
      Last week though I started having myoclonic seizures. So no more Ampyra ever for me. Not sure if they are from the Ampyra or MS yet. Either way it stinks because without Ampyra I'm worried I won't be able to work. Out on leave now because of seizures but hope to get back.

Comment

Sendsun,

I have been taking Ampyra for six years, but since I will be going on Medicare in February and losing my $40 a month copay, I have decided to try 4-AP to see if the results are the same. I just received my 1st order from Skips Pharmacy in Florida, and 120, 5mg caps were $40 + $6.95 shipping. I found a "ramp up" routine online and will begin tomorrow. I can see how this would really help you, since you can determine how much you need and when. I'd consider asking your neurologist to fax them a prescription and give 4-AP a try.

Comment

Working...
        X