Another Diet to Consider: Very-low Fat, Plant-based Diet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another Diet to Consider: Very-low Fat, Plant-based Diet

A pilot study by Dr. Vijayshree Yadav and colleagues, at the Oregon Health & Science University, now suggests that a very-low saturated fat, plant-based diet followed for one year by people with the most common form of MS, relapsing-remitting MS (RRMS), can be a starting point.

The study consisted of 61 patients — 32 were assigned to the very-low fat, plant-based diet; the other 29 were included in the wait-listed group (control). The low-fat diet group received residential diet training in Santa Rosa, California through the McDougall Program. They ate starchy plant foods (beans, breads, corn, pastas, potatoes, sweet potatoes, and rice with the addition of fruits and non-starchy vegetables). Meat, fish, eggs, dairy products and vegetable oils (such as corn and olive oil) were not allowed. The control group maintained their usual diet during the study. Both groups were also encouraged to perform at least 30 minutes of moderate intensity activity at least five days a week.

“Dietary intervention participants experienced reduction in weight, BMI, LDL [“bad” cholesterol] and total cholesterol and insulin levels,” the authors wrote. “These improvements would likely enhance their long-term general health if they remained on the diet.”

Improvement was also found in quality of life concerns including overall mood and levels of fatigue, the latter being a debilitating problem among RRMS patients.

The results showed no effect on MS disease activity (MRI and clinical), but the authors attribute this partly to several limitations, such as “the small sample size, short duration and the use of DMT among most participants.”

https://multiplesclerosisnewstoday.com/2016/08/08/2016low-fat-plant-based-diet-in-multiple-sclerosisl/

Soo ... do what you can for general health and you will feel better, am I reading that correct? 8-)

Comment

Originally posted by Daveo View Post
      Soo ... do what you can for general health and you will feel better, am I reading that correct? 8-)
      Hilarious!

My wife and I noticed I felt better after eating a particular ginger dressing. That's when I learned that ginger was a natural anti-inflammatory. Years later, I still try to eat anti-inflammatory foods and they still help me feel a bit better.

Comment

Working...
      X