No announcement yet.

First experience with a Cather in ER was not pleasent -- worried about future

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First experience with a Cather in ER was not pleasent -- worried about future

Hello everyone, I have been reading several posts about self catheterizing and it seems that once you are used to it, it is no big deal.....However, Sunday night 8/7/2016, I had my first experience with a cath.....I had a combination of several things that lead me to the ER. The main driver was a blockage for number 2.....This challenge would not allow me to start number 1...I have issues with hesitation/getting started for #1 but have always been able to complete it. This time due to #2 I could not get myself to urinate even though I was over full... It was this that really pushed me to the ER.....

Now, first thing they did was Cath me.... This was my first time, it was not pleasant and it did hurt more that I would have liked. Apparently this cath had a balloon at the tip to keep it in....I am hoping that this experience is not an indication of what I can expect if I have to self cath myself going forward. Also, once the cath was removed (painful), I had this lingering burning and "pain" when I urinated post cath. Today is Wed and I still have the "burn/pain" when urinating. It does seem to be getting better however.....

I apologize for the long ramble but needed to get this out.... So the real question is:
    Was my experience with the ER cath different than doing if I had to do it myself with different "tools" (I see ads on TV for Caths that claim to be painless- TRUE?).... This is what has me stressing right now...

Thank You.

RRMS, diag 2013, Techfidera, 47 yrs old, male...

I have had many cath.they were all painful,the doc recommended I get one that comes straight out from bladder,you still have to change tube every 4 weeks,which a in home nurse does.i dont think I could change one on my own.thanks m.s.

Comment

I was self cath-ing for almost a year. It wasn't painful after I got a smaller catheter (narrower tube). I used sterile lube and took every precaution I could think of but I was still getting UTI's every other week. So I quit the catheters and haven't had any problems since. I think after the self cath my bladder became more "normal" and empties now.

Comment

Working...
      X