Itching, like bugs are crawling on me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Itching, like bugs are crawling on me

I know this has been discussed before, and I think I've tried most/all of the suggestions that were given. I thought I'd bring it up again and hope you all may have some different suggestions and maybe even a solution or two. I am going nuts with this.

My itchy spots (there's nothing visible) come and go, are worse at night when I have nothing to distract me maybe, are only marginally helped by cortisone Rxs or ice packs, or lotions and creams. My dermatologist put me on/took me off Benadryl and gave me an Rx for Atarax (hydroxyzine). That was great for a few days as it helped with the itch and inability to sleep. Then I noticed that the day after I had taken it, I was unexplainably short-tempered and depressed way beyond normal, and it stopped helping the itching. Anger, depression and feeling jazzed was not acceptable, so I stopped it and called the doctor. Since I react similarly to another med in the same group(anxiety), he agreed that probably Atarax was not for me.

Because I already take Clarinex and Singular for allergies and asthma, I am more than suspicious that the itchy skin problem is just one more part of my MS. Although itching doesn't sound like much to worry about, it makes it harder to go to sleep (I already have a hard time with that) and it's crazy-making. I'm sure some of you know what I mean, but what do I do now? I can't continue to itch and squirm and wiggle and itch forever, and it already feels like it's gone on forever.

What can you suggest?

Itching falls into the category of dysesthesias, and is neurologic in origin. It is different from the generalized itching that can accompany an allergic reaction, as there is no external skin rash or irritation at the site of itching. Read more here. http://www.nationalmssociety.org/Sym...mptoms/Itching Neurontin (Gabapentin) is what helped me. Talk to your neurologist.

Read somewhere once, this symptom is often worse at night. Don't know how true that it is, but was also my experience. The itching would be so intense, it would even wake me up from a deep sleep.

I hope you find relief. Good luck
    Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

Thank you for your reply, Kimba. I wish I could say that Gabapentin has worked for me, but I tried it and it didn't help at all. Also took Lyrica (for another symptom) and hoped it might help somehow. It helped with the pain but did nothing for the itching.

I am beginning to think I may just be one of those lucky folks that need to learn to live with some symptom(s). isn't that what we all do anyway?To add to the fun, I managed to sprain/strain/stress something in my left knee this AM and now have the challenge of getting around with a knee immobilizer for a few weeks. Since I'm supposed to wear it day and night, maybe it (and the knee pain) will be enough to distract me from the itching for a while!

I so love challenges, don't you all?

Comment

Originally posted by DogMa View Post
        Thank you for your reply, Kimba. I wish I could say that Gabapentin has worked for me, but I tried it and it didn't help at all. Also took Lyrica (for another symptom) and hoped it might help somehow. It helped with the pain but did nothing for the itching.

I am beginning to think I may just be one of those lucky folks that need to learn to live with some symptom(s). isn't that what we all do anyway?To add to the fun, I managed to sprain/strain/stress something in my left knee this AM and now have the challenge of getting around with a knee immobilizer for a few weeks. Since I'm supposed to wear it day and night, maybe it (and the knee pain) will be enough to distract me from the itching for a while!

I so love challenges, don't you all?
        Sorry no luck with the Gabapentin (or Lyrica). I'm not having the best of luck with these for pain. It's very frustrating trying different medications, and also different doses - to see if it helps!

Also sorry about your knee! Wishing you a speedy recovery.
        Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

I too am itchy

Originally posted by DogMa View Post
          I know this has been discussed before, and I think I've tried most/all of the suggestions that were given. I thought I'd bring it up again and hope you all may have some different suggestions and maybe even a solution or two. I am going nuts with this.

My itchy spots (there's nothing visible) come and go, are worse at night when I have nothing to distract me maybe, are only marginally helped by cortisone Rxs or ice packs, or lotions and creams. My dermatologist put me on/took me off Benadryl and gave me an Rx for Atarax (hydroxyzine). That was great for a few days as it helped with the itch and inability to sleep. Then I noticed that the day after I had taken it, I was unexplainably short-tempered and depressed way beyond normal, and it stopped helping the itching. Anger, depression and feeling jazzed was not acceptable, so I stopped it and called the doctor. Since I react similarly to another med in the same group(anxiety), he agreed that probably Atarax was not for me.

Because I already take Clarinex and Singular for allergies and asthma, I am more than suspicious that the itchy skin problem is just one more part of my MS. Although itching doesn't sound like much to worry about, it makes it harder to go to sleep (I already have a hard time with that) and it's crazy-making. I'm sure some of you know what I mean, but what do I do now? I can't continue to itch and squirm and wiggle and itch forever, and it already feels like it's gone on forever.

What can you suggest?
          I too am itchy. I am on no therapies, and take gabapentin, amnitriptaline,tramadol. I called my neuro logist because it's driving me up a wall. It does feel like little bugs crawling all over me. He said he has never heard of it being from MS. To see my family doctor. I upped my dose of allergy med, and got some ok too with aloe in it. Only helps for a short time. I told my neuro that people are having the same symptom on the MS world . he asked if I changed any laundry det., shampoos, etc. I said no.
          Doctors seem to forget that not everyone fits into their little box of known symptoms. I have always been out of the box!!
          Your not alone. If I find an answer I will definitely share.

Comment

Originally posted by couponlady View Post
            He said he has never heard of it being from MS. To see my family doctor. I upped my dose of allergy med, and got some ok too with aloe in it. Only helps for a short time. I told my neuro that people are having the same symptom on the MS world . he asked if I changed any laundry det., shampoos, etc. I said no.
            Hi couponlady,

Sorry your neurologist is uninformed. It is considered one of the "less common" MS symptoms, but would still expect your neuroIogist to know about it.

Pruritis (itching) may occur as a symptom of MS. It is one of the family of abnormal sensations — such as “pins and needles” and burning, stabbing, or tearing pains — which may be experienced by people with MS. These sensations are known as dysesthesias, and they are neurologic in origin.

Dysesthetic itching may occur suddenly and intensely, but for brief periods. It may be present over any part of the body or face. It is different from the generalized itching that can accompany an allergic reaction, as there is no external skin rash or irritation at the site of itching. Corticosteroid ointments applied to the skin are not helpful in relieving this type of dysesthetic itching. There are, however, several medications that are usually successful in treating dysesthetic itching. Among them are:

anticonvulsants, such as carbamazepine (Tegretol®), phenytoin (Dilantin®) and gabapentin (Neurontin®)
            antidepressants, such as amitriptyline (Elavil®) and the MAO inhibitors
            the antihistamine hydroxyzine (Atarax®).

People who experience itching should consult their physician. http://www.nationalmssociety.org/Sym...mptoms/Itching

Maybe print out the link and share it with him? (I would.) Might be time to find another neuroIogist who is more knowledgeable about MS.

Good luck
            Kimba

Comment

Itchy at night

You didn't specify the location of your itchiness, so this may or may not help... There have been times when I had the same thing keeping me up and it always seems to be on my left leg. I usually sleep in only my undies and when this has happened in the past, it usually stemmed from my foot and ankle area. The sensation was exacerbated by the intermittent contact with the bedding. I know this may seem strange, but wearing socks seems to kill that sensation and replaces the "trigger" in my foot with constant contact and pressure of the sock and then I would be asleep in no time at all. I know it's not a drug or treatment but it really was able to fool my nervous system into settling down, and give me some peace.

Comment

Ugh, the itching!

I never knew that itching can be a symptom of MS. Before I knew, I would tell my sister or mom they MUST have fleas in their house because this itching is driving me nuts!

I've since apologized (lol) for suggesting their homes had fleas.

MS, the gift that just keep on giving.

Comment

Thank you to all of you that have chimed in on the itchy question I posted a while ago. I am still having the problem, mostly in two patches (not visible) on my back, but sometimes on an arm or the back of my neck or wherever suits my mind's fancy I guess.

While my neurologist acknowledges that "it might be an MS symptom", he shrugged it off and made no suggestions for helping with it. Of course it seems like he shrugs lots of things off now that I think about it, especially since he's started wearing those glasses that function as electronic connections to transcribers (in some foreign land I think). Seems like he's very interested in sounding good now, rather than responding to me specifically. Hmmm. I think that is a problem I need to address also. Does this ever end??? Anyway...

Sure wish the itching involved my feet as the sock idea might also help my frozen-feeling feet, but my feet don't itch. The only meds I haven't tried from your suggestions are Tegretol and Dilantin. Guess I'll research those, but off the top of my head, anticonvulsants seem a bit scary to me. Has anyone had any success with them?

Any other ideas, anyone? I know we can come up with a solution. Meanwhile, I've accused my dogs of having fleas, CathyA, so I can identify. with you there.

Comment

Itchingruritis

Itching....I have read on the message boards that people with MS are having severe itching that can drive us crazy. I itch on and off. I read the side effects of the tramadol I take. And one of the side effects is itching. Nothing helps to relieve it for me.
                    Your not alone.

Comment

Just about the time I convince myself that it is my MS the season changes and bugs abound.
                      Peace to all,
                      LM
                      RRMS 11/11/2005, SPMS 20011 (guess I 'graduated')

Comment

I had the burning for the first time and realized that pressure relieved the sensation. I put on compression baseball socks and ahhhhh- sweet relief. Wore them for three days and nights. Can you put on a mock bandage that exerts pressure or weight? Maybe even wear something that wraps around your torso?

Comment

My itching has now migrated to spots at the top of my back (in the middle re just below my head), where my arms won't reach, and on either side of my neck. I can reach those spots and do, frequently enough to have now irritated the skin.

I'd be willing to try the idea of compression; however, I think wrapping something tightly around my neck might be a bit too effective in ending the itching. Tonight I am sticking a couple of band aids on the areas in hopes of keeping me from doing more scratching damage, but that's not a viable long-term solution.

Isn't this MS stuff fun???

Comment

Back when the itching, tingling, and pain was too much to handle with all of the other symptoms I had going on, the doctor's put me on Neurontin for it. They had to increase the dosage a couple of times, which I heard is pretty normal in order to get the dosage that works for each individual person. I think it was 600mg 3xs a day at that time. Anyway, when it started working for me, it helped tremendously!

Maybe you've already tried the increases and it didn't help? If not, I'd give it another go but report to your doctor that the starting dose didn't help and ask for an increase.

I still have these symptoms, but I'm going to try cannabis soon for it because I've heard that works really well. I hope you find something that works for you and get relief from it soon. Mine is always worse at night too. I'll just be laying there and a part of my body will go, ITCHHHH! It will itch so badly that it's almost painful. I know how frustrating it is. I've actually started trying to do the mindfulness thing by going, OK, that really really itches right now. It's there. If I wait, it will go away. Within a few seconds, it does and then pops up somewhere else. If it gets to be too bad, I go take a hot shower. It seems counterproductive, but it makes me really lethargic and helps me get to sleep because the fatigue is worse than those symptoms, if that makes sense.

Comment

I hear you about the fatigue. Some nights (really it's mornings)I just hold still and pray I can fall asleep before the itching drives me nuts. I may be tired but the need to scratch is soo strong! Maybe I can invent some kind of solution to this..

Comment

Working...
                              X