Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you reward yourself after reaching your goal - August Member Topic of the Mont

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do you reward yourself after reaching your goal - August Member Topic of the Mont

Your Member Topic for August is here!
    You made suggestions and we listened!

Thanks to all who participated in July's Member Topic of the Month! July just flew by!

For the month of August, your topic will be: How do you treat or congratulate yourself when you have accomplished a goal or reached a milestone?

Please join us in this important conversation on the ways you reward yourself after accomplishing your goal/ milestone.
    Your thoughts and concerns on this topic are always welcomed.

Thank you all for your participation and stay tuned for more topics from your suggestions in the months to come! We appreciate all your thoughtful ideas and hope to hear more from you! You can add more suggestions here: http://www.msworld.org/forum/showthr...the-Month-quot
    Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

what I like to do is that for every accomplishment ( depending on whether it was major or not), I will "reward" myself with an item from my "wish list". The larger the accomplishment, the larger my reward. That is just something that I do for myself, if it works for you, great. I want to hear what everyone else does.
    hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
    volunteer
    MS World
    hunterd@msworld.org
    PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

Accomplishment is the reward

Now that I think of it, I do think about self rewards now and then, but I really don't do that anymore.
      I get things I want when I want them. When I lost the extra weight, my reward was to keep it off and continue watching what I ate. I have build in rewards.. like having extra treats for special occasions or on the weekends or now and then. If I see my weight is up, I just start back on my usual routine.
      Losing weigh was a reward in itself and now I am spending a lot on having some of my favorite clothes taken in rather than shopping for new ones (which could be a reward and maybe less expensive!)

Rewards I think mean more when it is self-appreciation for completing that reward. Goals are good and if a reward helps , then go for it!!

Comment

When I first read this thread I couldn't think of a goal I reached since having ms and itasara helped me remember.

I used to pay someone to clean my house because of my weak and burning pain in my legs. My house keeper quit so I decided to clean. It takes me several days when I sweep and mob twice a month. I clean bathrooms once a wk. and the feeling of ACCOMPLISHMENT felt like a reward.
        God Bless Us All

Comment

Chocolate!

Sometimes just getting through the day safely can be a major accomplishment.
          I reward myself after dinner with a couple squares of chocolate
          1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
          Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Originally posted by itasara View Post
            Now that I think of it, I do think about self rewards now and then, but I really don't do that anymore.
            I get things I want when I want them. When I lost the extra weight, my reward was to keep it off and continue watching what I ate. I have build in rewards.. like having extra treats for special occasions or on the weekends or now and then. If I see my weight is up, I just start back on my usual routine.
            Losing weigh was a reward in itself and now I am spending a lot on having some of my favorite clothes taken in rather than shopping for new ones (which could be a reward and maybe less expensive!)

Rewards I think mean more when it is self-appreciation for completing that reward. Goals are good and if a reward helps , then go for it!!
            I never thought of it this way, but that is a HUGE part of rewarding myself. There are times that I am more proud of myself and wish to do nothing more than brag about my accomplishments ( sometimes I just want others to know that someone they think is not capable, is able to do something correctly). I will also let my accomplishments pile up in the corner until I feel that I have done enough to reward myself with something I want ( and that also gives me enough time to save up enough [which is an accomplishment in itself]).
            hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
            volunteer
            MS World
            hunterd@msworld.org
            PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

Originally posted by REG53 View Post
              When I first read this thread I couldn't think of a goal I reached since having ms ...
              I too hesitated to respond to this topic because 1) I don't really have any major accomplishments
              and 2) I don't really think of it as rewarding myself when I do not do anything special for me.

I mean yeah I have daily accomplishments - feeding dogs, cats, chickens, and trying to keep the kitchen halfway clean - but those are more of a 'have-to-do' type of thing. I do volunteer (food bank at church) and that is a time sensitive thing (we give out food once a month always on same day of month) so I suppose that is an accomplishment - but I feel that is another 'have-to-do' thing . Other than that the only thing that I can think of that I do is pull together family gatherings on Thanksgiving and Christmas (which is a huge endeavor!) but which feels like another 'have-to-do (for my mother's sake).

Reward myself? Well maybe having a sense of accomplishment and feeling grateful that I can still do these things. Knowing that someone/some thing is appreciative of my efforts is a kind of reward. But actual rewarding myself would take even more energy, which I don't have .

I guess I did somewhat reward myself recently by actually buying a few new outfits after loosing a bit of weight and keeping it off for a while, but that was more so that I would have something that fit me than a reward . Maybe I just need to change the way that I think about the things that I do .

Comment

Feeling good is its own reward, for me

Interesting. The good feeling that I get from completing a task is its own reward. On days when I have nothing specific to do, I do something that I want to do, but isn't really "necessary." One day it was cleaning and reorganizing the shelves in the garage. That furthered my good feelings.

Right now I have a hummingbird mobile that is in need of repair. It sits on the dining room table (which I rarely use for eating) and I have figured out how to repair it, bought the paint and balsa wood, and have done some of the repairs. I don't care that it isn't finished, I have done part of it. When it is completed and hung I will feel so good. I suppose that anything that is a mood enhancer is a reward.

Comment

REST!

I'm usually so darn busy every day, that if I've accomplished a goal, I will try to take some time for myself and just REST! That is a treat since I seem to be out and about every single day most weeks for one reason or another.
                  Judy Metzler
                  Living With MS Since 2003
                  "Seize The Moment"

Comment

Interesting thread. I recently was working with a neuropsych and took an online class designed to help with memory. For each of the five week, a reward for completing the training was built in.

I had to list the rewards before starting. When I first did, I was listing things that required effort on my part, such as starting a project to convert old slides and negatives to digital, determine how to organize medical info more efficiently, etc...

The neuropsych pointed out that it looked like I forgot how to reward myself!

So now, I buy a new CD/iTunes, a book or magazine, make a call to a friend I haven't spoken to for a while, mail an old photo with a handwritten note to a friend or relative about the experience shared in the photo, go to a favorite place near home to enjoy nature when weather permits, etc...

The important thing is that it doesn't have to be expensive or something bought, just something that brings me inner peace and happiness. Sometimes a little effort in the reward is ok, as I found looking thru old photos brings great memories.

I have found the receivers of the picture and notes to be really appreciative, as it may be the bright spot in their day or week, which in turn, is so rewarding to me. I may not be able to physically help or do all the things I could before with the person, but I can bring them some happiness for the cost of a stamp!
                    Kathy
                    DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

I too had trouble thinking about this topic. I suppose it's good that I'm thinking- that seems the hardest thing recently.
                      And I agree with most of the previous comments. Especially just being ABLE to do things feels like a reward.

It's great to be able to sit quietly in the sun on my patio in the morning with a cuppa after doing something without screwing up.
                      While having a philosophical debate with my son recently I managed to make my point very succinctly for a change instead of waffling on.
                      It's interesting, that if you get cranky, the old brain fog seems to clear somewhat and the ability to get thought to mouth and out of mouth, improves immensely!
                      Would this be classed as a reward?

Comment

How do I reward myself

I used many ways to reward, but I keep my goals tiny. They are like a tiny step to reach a major goal. Say I want and need a clean kitchen,a goal might be to empty the dishwasher.
                        I might give me a piece of chocolate or put change in a jar for something I am saving up for.
                        Was an elementary teacher for many years. I learned to give praise often for encouragement.

Comment

Good to hear your progress...

Originally posted by REG53 View Post
                          When I first read this thread I couldn't think of a goal I reached since having ms and itasara helped me remember.

I used to pay someone to clean my house because of my weak and burning pain in my legs. My house keeper quit so I decided to clean. It takes me several days when I sweep and mob twice a month. I clean bathrooms once a wk. and the feeling of ACCOMPLISHMENT felt like a reward.

I wish I could get motivated now to clean my house. I don't have someone coming in and my house needs major organizing, discarding, cleaning. I just would rather do anything else. If I had company I'd be more likely to make progress, but it seems like everyone is busy in their own right.

Comment

Working...
                          X