Paresthesia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Paresthesia

Hi all i was diagnosed with CIS july last year after an Mri showed one lesion typical of ms, i have been pretty well since and have had a negative lp and negative spine mri (whooopee) really thought i was in the clear then just under 2 weeks ago started with burning in my foot that has since spread to both lower legs and feet, the burning is still there but i also have what feels like a stiffness to, is this classed as a relapse or is it just a blip ?

Since this is new and there are so many possible causes for that kind of paresthesia, I would go get it checked out...
    1st sx 11/26/09; Copaxone from 12/1/11 to 7/13/18
    NOT ALL SX ARE MS!

Comment

[QUOTE=MarkLavelle;1494883]Since this is new and there are so many possible causes for that kind of paresthesia, I would go get it checked out...[/QUOTE
      I will be getting it checked just wondered if anyone could maybe relate to this as it can be a while before i get seen

Comment

Hi suzie:

What you're experiencing meets the definition of a relapse. You should be getting checked by your neurologist this week. With new neurological symptoms in a person diagnosed with CIS, there's no such thing as "it could be a while before I get seen."

Please call your neurologist's office first thing on Monday morning, describe your new set of symptoms and your CIS status, and tell them you want to see the doctor this week. Then be prepared to go to an appointment as soon as you're able to get one, even if that means missing work.

For some reason, too many people with CIS and MS get the idea that the only time they can see the neurologist is when the office makes them a routine appointment, then they sit around and wait for that appointment no matter how far away it is or what happens with them in the meantime. You can and should call for an appointment whenever you have an onset of new symptoms or a new issue comes up.

The indication for timeliness here isn't because your symptoms are right now urgent or an emergency. One reason is that your symptoms have progressed from one foot to both feet and lower legs. Progression - from a small area to a large area, and particularly from one side to both sides -- should be evaluated as soon as it shows up.

Another reason to be seen this week is because two weeks have already gone by. In those two weeks was your waiting time for a more routine appointment, like "we'll see you at the end of this week," or "come in next Monday." In those two weeks was the window of opportunity for you to be evaluated for steroid treatment that might have shortened the length of the episode.

One more reason for timeliness is to recognize the significance of this episode. You probably remember that a second episode of signs and/or symptoms that are characteristic of MS meets the diagnostic criterion for clinically definite MS. One episode (with supporting evidence) is CIS; two episodes (with supporting evidence) moves on to meet the definition of MS.

Per the McDonald diagnostic criteria for MS, an attack (relapse, exacerbation [flare]) is defined as patient-reported or clinically observed events typical of an acute inflammatory demyelinating event in the central nervous system,current or historical, with duration of at least 24 hours, in the absence of fever or infection.

The "street" version of that is that the definition of a relapse is the onset of new, or worsening of existing, symptoms that lasts more than 24 hours.

What you're describing fits that definition. Anything lasting more than 24 hours isn't just a "blip." You're well into the time period that fits the definition of relapse. You didn't say anything about having a fever or infection, but even if you did, you would still need to see your neurologist on a timely basis because of 1) your CIS status and 2) the possibility that the illness could have also caused some other condition that is not MS but is serious.

So please call your neurologist's office first thing Monday morning and tell them you want to be seen this week. If your neuro won't see you this week, you can try calling/seeing your primary care doctor and having your primary contact the neuro's office.

If you or your neuro let this go on any longer, it sets the tone for how your condition will be handled in the future. And it's better to be proactive than to wait until the situation dictates what's going to happen. So make that call!

Comment

Originally posted by jreagan70 View Post
          Hi suzie:

What you're experiencing meets the definition of a relapse. You should be getting checked by your neurologist this week. With new neurological symptoms in a person diagnosed with CIS, there's no such thing as "it could be a while before I get seen."

Please call your neurologist's office first thing on Monday morning, describe your new set of symptoms and your CIS status, and tell them you want to see the doctor this week. Then be prepared to go to an appointment as soon as you're able to get one, even if that means missing wor
          For some reason, too many people with CIS and MS get the idea that the only time they can see the neurologist is when the office makes them a routine appointment, then they sit around and wait for that appointment no matter how far away it is or what happens with them in the meantime. You can and should call for an appointment whenever you have an onset of new symptoms or a new issue comes up.

The indication for timeliness here isn't because your symptoms are right now urgent or an emergency. One reason is that your symptoms have progressed from one foot to both feet and lower legs. Progression - from a small area to a large area, and particularly from one side to both sides -- should be evaluated as soon as it shows up.

Another reason to be seen this week is because two weeks have already gone by. In those two weeks was your waiting time for a more routine appointment, like "we'll see you at the end of this week," or "come in next Monday." In those two weeks was the window of opportunity for you to be evaluated for steroid treatment that might have shortened the length of the episode.

One more reason for timeliness is to recognize the significance of this episode. You probably remember that a second episode of signs and/or symptoms that are characteristic of MS meets the diagnostic criterion for clinically definite MS. One episode (with supporting evidence) is CIS; two episodes (with supporting evidence) moves on to meet the definition of MS.

Per the McDonald diagnostic criteria for MS, an attack (relapse, exacerbation [flare]) is defined as patient-reported or clinically observed events typical of an acute inflammatory demyelinating event in the central nervous system,current or historical, with duration of at least 24 hours, in the absence of fever or infection.

The "street" version of that is that the definition of a relapse is the onset of new, or worsening of existing, symptoms that lasts more than 24 hours.

What you're describing fits that definition. Anything lasting more than 24 hours isn't just a "blip." You're well into the time period that fits the definition of relapse. You didn't say anything about having a fever or infection, but even if you did, you would still need to see your neurologist on a timely basis because of 1) your CIS status and 2) the possibility that the illness could have also caused some other condition that is not MS but is serious.

So please call your neurologist's office first thing Monday morning and tell them you want to be seen this week. If your neuro won't see you this week, you can try calling/seeing your primary care doctor and having your primary contact the neuro's office.

If you or your neuro let this go on any longer, it sets the tone for how your condition will be handled in the future. And it's better to be proactive than to wait until the situation dictates what's going to happen. So make that call!
          Thank you so much that is so helpful and wow you know your stuff !! its exactly what i was wanting to know, i will phone them first thing, thank you again x

Comment

Working...
          X