Gluten Free Diet for MS Constipation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gluten Free Diet for MS Constipation

Today I went to a new neuro and told him I have "MS-constipation". This isn't regular constipation that needs more fiber and prune juice. I can even be having loose bowel movements but I have "MS-constipation". Getting it down the "pipes" and pushing it out is a half hour ordeal each time (that's when I'm lucky). So I asked him what he suggests. He told me to try a Gluten-Free diet. I'm willing to try that (it's easier than some of the other crazy things we try for our health).

But i was wondering if anyone here ever tried this for this problem ("MS-constipation", not regular constipation).
    Dx 1/86 at age 23
    Copaxone 1993 - 2011 (except when I was pregnant or nursing)
    Tysabri - 2011 - present

I have the same problem, Donna. I've been on a GF diet for a couple or so years now, I think...maybe more. It has helped, but taking a probiotic helps as well. Also magnesium.

Lately, I'm having trouble digesting meat and poultry, thus leading to constipation. I am trying more vegetarian meals and fish!! which helps most of all in addition to the supplements I;m taking.

There are so many GF products in the markets these days. It's quite easy to find them.
    Good luck
    1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
    Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

You have to be 100% GF for a GF diet to work? I though I'd just give up flour like bread, cake, crackers, pasta... (my daughter's actually doing that to lose weight now ).
      Dx 1/86 at age 23
      Copaxone 1993 - 2011 (except when I was pregnant or nursing)
      Tysabri - 2011 - present

Comment

Well, if you have Celiac, then definitely NO to anything that contains gluten. Our problem is different.

I first started by eliminating breads, cakes, pasta, crackers and that helped somewhat. I now read labels and buy items that have the GF label, like different canned soups, soy sauce, etc.

You might start an easy elimination diet like I did and see if it makes a difference. Like i said, the probiotics I take really makes more of a difference in addition to going GF alone.

Also, drink lots of water!
        1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
        Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Working...
        X