The itching...help me!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The itching...help me!!!

I've been on the Copaxone for a month. About a week and a half ago, I started getting itching and swelling a day or two after the injection. I called SS and they said it's normal, so talk to the neuro to see if they can prescribe something.

I tried Benadryl cream, hydrocortisone cream, icing and heating, but the itching is maddening!! It's happening randomly, no set pattern.

My Monday shot on my thigh now has a hot, itchy welt twice the size of a quarter. I sent a message to the doctor and the NP basically didn't read my message and said I should get retrained or come in for an office visit to discuss.

I don't need to be retrained. I am no stranger to needles and my technique is just fine. I'm not driving an hour to the office so they can tell me it's a normal reaction. I need something stronger for the itch than OTC stuff!

Anyone have experience??

Have you tried taking Benadryl/Diphenhydramine in pill form? It may work far better than a cream. Only problem is the tiredness that comes with it.
    Peace to all,
    LM
    RRMS 11/11/2005, SPMS 20011 (guess I 'graduated')

Comment

Very prominent in the Copaxone prescribing information is Section 4 -- Contraindications:

COPAXONE is contraindicated in patients with known hypersensitivity to glatiramer acetate or mannitol.

Intractable itching is an obvious sign of a hypersensitivity reaction, which is not good. Why is everyone -- including medical professionals who should know better -- acting like this warning is a mere suggestion that can and should be gotten around somehow? Especially to put oneself at risk for a nonessential medication?

Comment

Message to you jreagan 70 (this is not intended to hijack this thread--APOLOGIES)

Originally posted by jreagan70 View Post
        COPAXONE is contraindicated in patients with known hypersensitivity to glatiramer acetate or mannitol.

Intractable itching is an obvious sign of a hypersensitivity reaction, which is not good. Why is everyone -- including medical professionals who should know better -- acting like this warning is a mere suggestion that can and should be gotten around somehow? Especially to put oneself at risk for a nonessential medication?
        I intently pondered this comment as it was applicable to my, albeit different type of, itching-issue as well. I have medical background and am aware that MD's often pre-medicate with Benadryl when someone is allergic to a life-saving therapy. However, Copaxone is NOT a life-saving therapy.

I just finished discussing it with my fiance and she agrees with me, that I need to get OFF of Copax.
        Peace to all,
        LM
        RRMS 11/11/2005, SPMS 20011 (guess I 'graduated')

Comment

Working...
        X