Thigh Straps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thigh Straps

Does anyone use leg straps around your thigh to help lift your leg up when needed like moving around in bed, getting up into a chair, etc?
    Be Well,

Dx 1995 as RRMS, 2003 SPMS Rx: Gabapentin, Baclofen, Wellbutrin, Clonazepam

Originally posted by Angelea View Post
    Does anyone use leg straps around your thigh to help lift your leg up when needed like moving around in bed, getting up into a chair, etc?
    Hi Angelea

I don't have any yet, but have been researching various leg lifters on Amazon (long handle with strap for foot on the end).

On the weaker-than-usual days, I have a difficult time getting my right leg up on the bed.

So far, none of them have really caught my eye as something that I would be able to maneuver.

Still looking though.

Take Care
    PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
    ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Originally posted by KoKo View Post
      Hi Angelea

I don't have any yet, but have been researching various leg lifters on Amazon (long handle with strap for foot on the end).

On the weaker-than-usual days, I have a difficult time getting my right leg up on the bed.

So far, none of them have really caught my eye as something that I would be able to maneuver.

Still looking though.

Take Care
      Hi KoKo, one of my OT's gave me a long blue strap that is kind of stiff but bends and it has loops at both ends. She said to use it to get in and out of bed. I have to bend it around my leg and lift it into bed. That works well for that.

I did see some thigh straps on Amazon that are meant for weight training. I was thinking of getting those and just wearing them all day for just lifting my legs whenever needed.

I hope you find what you need. Thanks for responding.
      Be Well,

Dx 1995 as RRMS, 2003 SPMS Rx: Gabapentin, Baclofen, Wellbutrin, Clonazepam

Comment

one of my OT's gave me a long blue strap that is kind of stiff but bends and it has loops at both ends. She said to use it to get in and out of bed. I have to bend it around my leg and lift it into bed. That works well for that.
        Thanks. I might check into that kind. In your opinion, do you think that it could be operated with one hand?

I did see some thigh straps on Amazon that are meant for weight training. I was thinking of getting those and just wearing them all day for just lifting my legs whenever needed.
        Good luck - hope that works for you! Maybe someone will come along that has experience with those, or other types of thigh straps. If I find any during my searching, I'll let you know.

Take Care
        ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

The one that my PT let me try worked well, and I used only one hand to lift my leg. But I would think it would depend on how high you had to lift, and how much weight.

Search Google for Model #: F704170000.

You might also try a medical supply shop near you to see what they offer and what will work for you.
          Echo
          DX 2007 Started Ocrevus on 2/14/2018

"Some where over the rainbow...."

Comment

Try googling "thigh lifter." I found two - one made Sammons Preston (cheaper) and the other by North Coast. There's a big loop on top, and your forearm is actually meant to aid lifting with the thigh. Personally, I do better at lifting using both of my hands. (I'd probably cut the loop, then pull up with both remaining straps.)

The last time I was in inpatient rehab at my local hospital, my OT used something the rehab unit used for gait belts. It was a 2 inch wide, cloth like webbing material that was cut from a roll. They would cut the length wanted, tie and knot around a patient's waist, then discard after each use. My OT had me tie and knot this around each thigh, and then pull up on the loose ends with my hands. Worked. I was given a few extra straps to use at home. Found something similar on-line, but it was nylon. Came in a 2" x 300' foot roll; a bit much and was expensive. (Recall someone here said they used the ties from their bath robes.)

"Leg lifter" is the term used for the blue one Angelea described. These can easily be found at medical supply stores (and on-line). Wasn't something that worked for me, because my foot would just slip out of loop.

There's also something called a "leg wrap wrap positioning aid." (Funny, I remember the OT fashioning something like them, and then wondering if something like it could be marketed.) Basically, it's one strap around the thigh, one around the calf, with 3rd strap that connects the two. The third strap is what's used to lift your leg. (Gave good leverage, and I could move my entire leg with it.)

Good luck finding something that works!
            Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

Angelea

Found two leg devices that I think will work for both - your thigh lifting and my leg lifting.

The Leg Wrap Positioning Aid (that Kimba mentioned), and also a similar Leg Handle-Cast Handle Leg Lifter - (both at amazon).

They appear much more supportive and easier to use than the handle-with-foot-loop kind.

Either one can be worn all day. Also it looks like either one could be used with one hand/forearm.

At this time, I'm leaning toward the Leg Wrap Positioning Aid.

Thanks for starting this thread Angelea - I've needed to get busy and find a device like this.

Take Care

Comment

Working...
              X