DOES ANY ONE KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT;

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hunterd this is what I am aware of

Interesting that this study is currently in the news. The Canadian study was funded by The MS Society of Canada. There were 24 patients enrolled from across Canada. I don't know what number the patient was that died (only that he was an early participant) but the MS Society did not renew their grant for further funding for long term research in this in 2012. I wonder if they are looking at doing another study in HSCT now.

If anyone is interested in following one of dr. Freedman's patient's journey you can look up my-end-to-ms-blogspot dot com. His wife kept a very detailed diary of his journey.

Dr. Freedman is known to be a leader in stem cell therapy for MS in Canada. HE is currently involved in another stem cell clinical trial using mesenchymal stem cells. See info below

From stemcellfoundation.ca
    January, 2015

Canadian researchers unveil stem cell trial for MS
    Posted by Joe Sornberger

A new clinical trial in Ottawa and Winnipeg will investigate the ability of stem cells to suppress inflammation and repair nerve tissue for people with Multiple Sclerosis, researchers announced Thursday.

“The MS Society of Canada is proud to be investing in the first Canadian clinical trial studying the ability of mesenchymal stem cells to treat multiple sclerosis,” Yves Savoie, President and CEO, MS Society of Canada, said in a media release. “As Canada has the highest rate of the MS in the world, we are excited that Canadian researchers are among the leaders in developing a novel and effective cell-based treatment.”

The $4.2-million clinical trial, co-led by the University of Ottawa’s Dr. Mark Freedman and Dr. James J. Marriott of the University of Manitoba, is called MESCAMS (for MEsenchymal Stem cell therapy for CAnadian MS patients). It will involve 40 patients — 20 in each city — who will receive either mesenchymal stem cells extracted from their own bone marrow or a mock solution to see if the effects of the stem cells are real or triggered by a “placebo effect.”

For information about clinical trial eligibility and enrollment, click here.

“This is absolutely the kind of clinical trial that Canadians will see more of with the Canadian Stem Cell Strategy & Action Plan,” said James Price, CEO & President of the Canadian Stem Cell Foundation. “The Strategy is about bringing more clinical trials to Canada so that Canadians have early access to therapies that are proven to be safe and effective.”

As reported by Elizabeth Payne in the Ottawa Citizen, recent publicity around hockey legend Gordie Howe’s experimental stem cell treatment in Tijuana for stroke has focused attention on a growing international stem cell tourism industry offering unproven, untested therapies. “There is so much noise about stem cells in general and the hype that surrounds them, we are doing this study properly so we can answer the question for once and for all,” Dr. Freedman told the newspaper.

“Canada has a world-class stem cell sector and we are poised to bring new treatments to the clinic,” said Mr. Price. “That’s why implementing the Action Plan is so important. It will mean that rigorously tested, safe and effective therapies are developed right here at home.”

Readers of this blog may be familiar with the story of Jennifer Molson who took part in a previous stem cell trial in Ottawa conducted by Dr. Freedman and Dr. Harry Atkins. She is now free from all her previously debilitating MS symptoms. Unlike that study, which involved transplantation of hematopoietic stem cells to re-boot the immune system, there is no requirement for chemotherapy in MESCAMS.

The MESCAMS trial is part of a larger, international research effort led by Dr. Freedman and Dr. Antonio Uccelli at the University of Genoa in Italy. The international effort links researchers from nine countries who are undertaking parallel research.

Funding for the trial, announced by the MS Society of Canada and the Multiple Sclerosis Scientific Research Foundation, is also being provided by Research Manitoba and A&W Food Services of Canada.

Comment

Echo2099,
      Thank you. Yes, I'm home from the hospital. Back to my routine at home. I, now, have a power wheel chair and an AFO for my right foot 'drop foot'. But my right foot continues to rotate clockwise to about the 3:00 position. I guess there will be continued negative. changes to my health and physical condition. I hate this disease and if I had a chance to get into a stem cell trial, I would jump at it ! Good luck

Comment

Working...
      X