On-line Dating With MS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On-line Dating With MS

Does anyone have any advice/suggestions for on-line dating with MS?

I'm thinking of starting a Match profile but to tell or not? I feel it's a good way to "weed out" insincere people, but throughout my 22 years of living with MS, I've always been of the "don't ask don't tell" nature.

But, being your "authentic self" can be very empowering, too. What about putting MS Activist or something in your profile? Any thoughts or experiences to share?

Thanks, in advance, for your input!
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass; it's learning to dance in the rain!

Such a tough decision, dm3029. I guess you must go with your heart in this matter. However, I like what you say about being authentic. What else can you be?

There is a online dating website for people with disabilities called disabledmate.com where you can browse through profiles if you're interested.

I've read here that someone found a life partner here on MSWorld!
    I'm sure there is someone out there just right for you. Someone to love and respect and support, whether disabled or not!

Good luck!
    1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
    Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Hi dm0329.

I met my husband through an on-line dating site. I DID NOT mention MS in my profiledddd. Quite frankly I am glad that I didn't, because I met a number of undesirable people from there and wouldn't have wanted them to know that I had a disability . Of course at the time I could pull it off (no visible symptoms unless you were in my presence for a good while ).

But the sites that Seasha mentioned sounds like a more 'even' playing field. If I had know they existed I would have looked there also.

BTW my husband is an insulin dependent diabetic (he didnt disclose on-line either). The fact that we are both "sick people" seems to have helped us in our relationship. We both take care of the other.

Time of disclosure is always problematic, but IMO after meeting someone and deciding that you would like to spend time with them is the time to bring up MS. In our relationship disclosure was fairly early. Being insulin dependent he couldn't hide, and after spending a day or so with him I didnt wish to continue if MS was going to be a "deal breaker".

The idea of putting MS Activist in your profile could be a good way to start a discussion about MS, and find out how they would feel about dealing with it. And being your "authentic self" is something to treasured in the world of on-line dating! I did not misrepresent myself in my profile, I simply waited until I felt that it was something that they needed to know. I did have one gentleman decide that MS was not something he wanted to deal with, and I was impressed by the way he let me know.
      My dh was the 2nd to learn of MS, and he decided to stick around .

Best of luck to you .

Comment

Hi

I personally wouldn't, until maybe the 3rd date with same person if you meet someone you like.

I also wouldn't make it a "big" talk when you do tell them. When googling ms for ppl that know nothing about it.. it can seem quite daunting.

Try to remember it's nothing to be ashamed of if anything it speaks volumes as to your level of strength and character.

Online dating can be interesting though, so I do wish you luck. ❤️

UOTE=dm0329;1493728]Does anyone have any advice/suggestions for on-line dating with MS?

I'm thinking of starting a Match profile but to tell or not? I feel it's a good way to "weed out" insincere people, but throughout my 22 years of living with MS, I've always been of the "don't ask don't tell" nature.

But, being your "authentic self" can be very empowering, too. What about putting MS Activist or something in your profile? Any thoughts or experiences to share?

Thanks, in advance, for your input![/QUOTE]
        Jen Dx'd 5/11
        "Live each day as if it were your last"

Comment

Originally posted by sunshine008 View Post
          I personally wouldn't, until maybe the 3rd date with same person if you meet someone you like.
          I put it in my profile... fewer responses, but that's okay. I figure that if it weeds out the ones that won't cope it saves everybody some time.

Comment

Working...
          X