Processed Foods Added to the "no-no" List for MS Patients

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Processed Foods Added to the "no-no" List for MS Patients

Processed foods have been added to the list of “no-no” items that we are not supposed to eat if you, like me, are unfortunate enough to have MS. We were already warned against gluten, salt and various other ingredients in our diet; now it’s processed foods and additives.

This is because research says that additives commonly used in processed foods can cause damage to the intestinal tolerance and immunity balance. This appears to be a knock-on effect of the food additives seriously harming the tight junctions that protect the intestinal mucosa, also called the gastric mucosa, which is the lining of the gastrointestinal tract.

The full story can be found here: http://multiplesclerosisnewstoday.co...protection-ms/

Thanks for this, Marco. I think this is also an important statement for people living without MS as well!

I eat mostly whole organic foods and grow as much veggies as I can today. It is however, hard to find unprocessed foods in a great many restaurants. Unfortunately, I started having MS symptoms 27 years ago, when I was living in a small town in Alaska. No organic foods there, but I'm sure that it wasn't the only contributing factor!

Still, it's a good habit to stay away from processed foods - They are high in sugar and/or high fructose corn syrup, causing unwanted weight gain and the additives can cause all sorts of health problems. These foods are also high in refined carbs and trans fats and low in fiber and nutrients.

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/ar...sed-foods.aspx
    1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
    Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

And delicious, too

Thank you, Marco, for posting about this. I believe that artificial chemicals have no place in human diet or the recipes of foods to be eaten. Of course, it is so hard to avoid them, but I think it is worth it.

I recommend - start with the snacks when changing the diet. It's the weakest link and can be the door opening to health and deliciousness. My favorite snacks right now are: radishes with brie cheese, apples with peanut butter, hummus with red bell pepper. I eat a high-protein diet: paleo + dairy. It works for me.

Again, thank you.
      Stay lifted,
      Mermaid
      "Life is short, and we have but little time to gladden the hearts of those who travel with us; so let us be swift to love, and make haste to be kind."

-Henri Amiel

Comment

Working...
      X