No announcement yet.

Heat Intolerance- Member Topic for the Month of June

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I moved my bedroom to downstairs it is below grade and is always one of the coolest rooms in the house. Lost the master bathroom and some space but it is worth it. When I have to go out in the heat I come home lay down in bed for an hour or more till I cool off. During the heat of the summer sometimes the AC will run all day and won't get cold that room stays cold year round though so even if the AC can't keep up with the heat that is my refuge.

I work for an insulation company and we sell a radiant barrier called BluePoint that I am thinking of installing it's expensive but it cuts the heat coming into the house so your AC doesn't have to work so hard. Maybe that would make the rest of the house bearable during those super hot days.
    Rise up this mornin, Smiled with the risin sun, Three little birds Pitch by my doorstep Singin sweet songs Of melodies pure and true, Sayin, (this is my message to you-ou-ou

Comment

I live i Phoenix. It was 118 last week. for the next two to three months, the daytime temps will be around 100-110 and it will only get DOWN? to the 90s at night.

There is no way to stay cool in these temps unless you're in an air conditioned car or building. I can't drive anymore and I don't work anymore so..............

IT'S HIBERNATION TIME.

I stay in my house with the AC set on 75. Sometime in late Oct or early Nov, the outside world will be accessible again.

Comment

Originally posted by bobus498 View Post
        I live i Phoenix. It was 118 last week. for the next two to three months, the daytime temps will be around 100-110 and it will only get DOWN? to the 90s at night.

There is no way to stay cool in these temps unless you're in an air conditioned car or building. I can't drive anymore and I don't work anymore so..............

IT'S HIBERNATION TIME.

I stay in my house with the AC set on 75. Sometime in late Oct or early Nov, the outside world will be accessible again.
        that's why i left phoenix.

Comment

Keeping Cool As Cheaply As I Can

Most of us who have had MS for a while, wind up at best, $ poor due to eventually not working. I've always been frugal. Here's how I manage:
          Tried & used: Cool Packs to wear, sleep on (chillows), but even better:
          Cool Ice Drinks, mostly water. Lots and lots of ice. Be careful of sugared drinks. You'll end up FAT and alter your metabolism which can make you suffer from the heat even more.

And for me, stay low. (the lower parts of the house are cooler) No I'm not kept like a ??? locked up in the basement! But I do find myself lured to those areas in the nasty muggy heat.

I do not use the ($$$$$) central air, except once or twice a year when others come over, and it is hot & muggy. I do use a ($) small window unit in the bedroom, and keep the door closed. You can do a ($) refrigerator like temperature room that will refresh you as well as a walk-in beer cooler as I had to resort to visiting my Daughter who "lives on the beach" in Florida. Yeah, not me!

From my desert days, misting is great at cooling recreation areas, but you must use fans, lots of fans, in the humid midwest and north woods. Think ice. And a small window unit for a single small room!

** Moderator's note - Post broken into paragraphs for easier reading. Many people with MS have visual difficulties that prevent them from reading large blocks of print. **

Comment

I need to correct my prev. post. I went to the lake and got overheated and when I tried to walk (with my walker) I could barely lift me legs , this happened twice. I will be wearing my cooling vest from now on.
            God Bless Us All

Comment

Reg53

I was the say way back in my walking days my legs felt the same way I never tried the cooling vest I hope it works for you

Shoo
              Shoo

Comment

Thanks you Shoo.
                God Bless Us All

Comment

Hi Everyone,

Great suggestions!

My introduction to heat sensitivity was several years after my diagnosis, while on vacation. I was sunbathing while my daughter was swimming in the pool, when suddenly I realized I couldn't move from the waist down. Thank goodness my cell phone was in reach so I could call my husband, and he had to carry me back to our hotel room. Would've been a lot scarier if I didn't know anything about heat intolerance (thank you MSWorld). I asked him to crank up the a/c and after an hour or so, started getting my movement back.

I'm very grateful we have ceiling fans and central air conditioning. I'm careful to turn on a fan and/ or the a/c if I even start to feel warm. If I don't, an increase in tingling, pins and needles, burning, and spasticity soon follows - then weakness. I keep my fingers crossed we don't loose power for any reason when it's hot. (Even a slight fever is becoming a cause of concern anymore, so I try to do everything I can possibly do to avoid getting sick.).

Summers can be both hot and humid where I live. Not a good combination. Now all my outdoor activities revolve around the weather forecast! Not only the actual air temperature combined with any humidity, but the amount of sunshine expected. Then I take into account shade that will be available, if there's any breeze, and whether or not a place with air conditioning is available. Usually I do OK outside to around 80 F, as long as all the right variables are there, and I don't move much. If I do venture out, I'm careful about what I wear, bring a mister with an attached fan, freezer or instant disposable ice packs, water, avoid caffeine and alcohol, and eat light. I miss plenty of summer outdoor activities, but it's so not worth it if I get too warm. (My family agrees ).

I liked this article, and thought the other link might also be helpful ~

http://www.momentummagazineonline.com/beating-heat/

http://www.momentummagazineonline.co...aging-heat-ms/
                  Last edited by Kimba22; 06-30-2016, 11:19 PM.
                  Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

Hot in Texas

Originally posted by marti View Post
                    How sick does the heat make you feel? I just went outside for a few minutes and when I came in my heart rate had gone over 100 bpm. Made me feel pretty sick.

Just wondering how the heat affects everyone. Do you get absolutely sick after just a few minutes of being out in it? I'm not sure what our temp is right now. Supposed to reach 95 today.
                    I'm in hot Texas, and it doesn't take me long to overheat, I don't sweat well either, making it more dangerous. In a short period of time, I feel weak, light headed, nausea, and out of breath. I've always been an outdoor person, and I feel like I've lost so much of my joy because of the heat.

Comment

Originally posted by hunterd View Post
                      letme just mention that MSAA has a cooling vest program.they provide cooling vests for no cost to applicant's. You can find the applications here,
                      http://mymsaa.org/msaa-help/cooling-products/

wishing you all the best
                      Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you for sharing this information!!!! Mine came today, and it works really good. I have it on right now. I have been so stinking sick from the heat and this cooling vest is already proving a tremendous help. Again thank you so much for posting the information!

Comment

Do you think symptoms from the heat/cold are indications of what maybe your progression course may be?

Comment

Originally posted by bluegiraffe View Post
                          Do you think symptoms from the heat/cold are indications of what maybe your progression course may be?
                          Not at all. My heat related symptoms tend to be worsening of existing symptoms or reappearance of old symptoms that have fully resolved.
                          Kathy
                          DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Heat Intolerance

Since no one mentioned or I just missed it, the color of clothing, when I am out in the sun, I try to wear a white shirt, long sleeves if necessary and/or sunscreen helps with the burning sensation I often get from direct sunlight, and made of a synthetic cool fabric like found at REI or sporting goods stores. Light colored pants and socks and hat too.

I usually wear a white Nike "Headsweats" baseball cap. It is synthetic with a cotton headband, perfect for soaking at any time and putting on your head to cool off quickly, works great for me, best $20 I ever spent. And since 35% of body heat can be lost through your head, it's very efficient. I also found as others have mentioned staying hydrated is very important, and conversely I have noted that emptying a 1/2 to full bladder getting rid of 99 degree water also helps.

No one ever mentions weight and fitness, but I believe that carrying extra fat, sorry ladies, I know that biologically you get an extra layer, may be a detriment to heat loss. Misting is also very helpful. I keep a spray bottle with me when on the road, and installed misters on my patio, cheap using drip irrigation parts from home depot. Sometimes I just can't be out in the sun or in really high temps, high mid 70s is when I need to begin remedies mentioned above and have been able to survive and get around with temps in the 80s while avoiding direct sun.

Oh and I am 5-10, 165#, but do need to workout more...just get so fatigued doing it!
                            Hope this helps anyone...

Comment

Working...
                            X