No announcement yet.

Heat Intolerance- Member Topic for the Month of June

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Inside prefer about 71. However if outside and with sun shining with gentle exercise (walking) I find that everything works well at 60. Yes heating and cooling bills are above average. I have not fainted outside when warmer however it feels like there is a plank of wood where my brain should be and the hands go quote number. Co-ordination strangely still seems ok, but I guess I don't walk on my hands. I find the sun and heat is scary. Country is Australia.

Comment

"Qualifying income"

Originally posted by hunterd View Post
      letme just mention that MSAA has a cooling vest program.they provide cooling vests for no cost to applicant's. You can find the applications here,
      http://mymsaa.org/msaa-help/cooling-products/

wishing you all the best
      This program is great but you must meet income requirements to get a vest.

Comment

This unbearable heat...

How sick does the heat make you feel? I just went outside for a few minutes and when I came in my heart rate had gone over 100 bpm. Made me feel pretty sick.

Just wondering how the heat affects everyone. Do you get absolutely sick after just a few minutes of being out in it? I'm not sure what our temp is right now. Supposed to reach 95 today.
        Marti

The only cure for insomnia is to get more sleep.

Comment

Hi Marti -my heart rate goes up in the extreme heat too.

Heat intolerance is the theme of our Member Topic of the Month of June- view it here http://www.msworld.org/forum/showthr...-Month-of-June and see what others are doing to stay cool!

Best to stay inside when you can - venture out only in the mornings and late evenings.
          1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
          Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Originally posted by Seasha View Post
            Hi Marti -my heart rate goes up in the extreme heat too.

Heat intolerance is the theme of our Member Topic of the Month of June- view it here http://www.msworld.org/forum/showthr...-Month-of-June and see what others are doing to stay cool!

Best to stay inside when you can - venture out only in the mornings and late evenings.

Thanks for the link. Very interesting stuff. Seems kind of unfair that we can't go outside like all the "normal" humans. Just a quick question... do the cooling vests really work? Do people actually go outside in the summer more often or for longer periods of time when they use the vests?? Guess I'll take my questions over to the topic of the month.
            Marti

The only cure for insomnia is to get more sleep.

Comment

I will have some burning pain in my left hand but other than that I do pretty well.
              God Bless Us All

Comment

Heat Intolerance

Thanks for all the super solutions~so many of them are surely a result of desperation!
                What a great help!..I do not tolerate heat or humidity,but for some reason the humidity seems worse.Living in Southwestern Ontario humidity is a constant..I become the basement troll with A/C on & going out the very least possible..Hugs to everyone of us that are prisoners during the "dog days of summer"! I just hope family & friends don't get so upset when I say no to their outdoor events... Although they say they understand,they still get upset...I tell them..I'm missing out too!!
                Anyway I loved Yslgram(sp?) idea of frozen grapes & pineapple~stealing that idea!
                All my best
                Candice
                candice

Comment

The cooling vests work. Mine enables me to get out more. I have to stay in the shade along with wearing a hat and the vest. If it's just moderately hot, I'll put it on the back of my wheelchair and lean back against it.

Comment

I've always been heat intolerant...why do I live in the desert?

It was 108 today and there will be many more 100+ days ahead.

If I can't get up and out before 10:00 am, forget it. Sometimes just walking from my car to the store drains me. Even now at 10 pm it's 90 degrees. That's still hot.

Aside from always carrying water to drink, I use a couple of things originally bought for my dogs. Cooling collars, cloths, bandanas...so we share them. haha Of course they have cooling vests and mats. Share and share alike, right?

Comment

I've always been heat intolerant...why do I live in the desert?

It was 108 today and there will be many more 100+ days ahead.

If I can't get up and out before 10:00 am, forget it. Sometimes just walking from my car to the store drains me. Even now at 10 pm it's 90 degrees. That's still hot.

Aside from always carrying water to drink, I use a couple of things originally bought for my dogs. Cooling collars, cloths, bandanas...so we share them. haha Of course they have cooling vests and mats. Share and share alike, right?

Comment

Right now we are in the upswing of a heat wave. When this happens I always feel agitated and cant sleep.

Climate change is happening so fast it's frightening. I had 2 brushes with death last summer from heat stroke. This year I am staying in my apartment with the air conditioner on.

When I am out in the sun, all my symptoms go haywire. I can't think. I can't balance. My hands shake and legs throb.

I knew my life was in danger so I moved 1000 miles north. It still has heat in the summer but it's only for 3 months (knock on wood).

Living in the desert? Not worth it.

Comment

Right now, I barely go outside during the summer time and always with a planned purpose. Any amount of time spent outside feels like I have a severe facial sunburn and heat exhaustion.

The car runs for 5-10 minutes before heading out to cool off the vehicle. I avoid in and out errands because the dramatic change in temperature really mess up my body. I carry a fan with me everywhere I go. If a restaurant does not have an electrical outlet then I do not eat there. I also carry an ice vest (bullet proof vest style), neck cooler, and ice pack in a temperature controlled bag.

I have most types of cooling vests and while they work for the core area, they do nothing to protect the head. Cool Shirt does make an active cooling shirt that has a hoodie with cooling tubing in the hat. The shirt alone is over $200 and the remaining items hundreds more. These shirts either require a battery and ice reservoir, or power outlet and an igloo cooler.

I am interested in the wristify product, but it's currently not available AND will not cool the head.

Instead, I have ordered a migraine cap that has internal cooling via frozen packs. If that works, I will order a second one so that I can rotate them. The last thing I want to do is wear a hat in 100 degree weather, but hopefully it will keep my head cooler. A damp cold towel draped across my face does take some of the sting out, but overheating remains overheating.

Ultimately, the heat will most likely cause me to leave my hometown (Austin, Texas) for a milder climate. The problem is trying to find the best climate year-round. I could move to Chicago and the summers would still be too hot and the winters too cold. San Diego sounds nice, but the cost-of-living is very limiting. There's just not a good answer ......

Comment

Yes, it is already too hot in Texas. I have the most trouble with the car. The AC just doesn't keep it cool enough.

We just returned from the cool/cold weather of Scotland. My husband said that he was surprised that I was able to keep up with him on the trip. I realized when I got back to TX that it was the cool weather that helped. I can't believe what a difference it made.

Comment

I have lived in the DC area for over 25 years. Its the combination of heat AND humidity that gets to me. Maybe even the humidity more than the heat. Yes, AC makes a huge difference. I keep my 1200 sq ft condo set at 65-68 year round. Cold showers to bring down my body temperature with the water streaming on that spot on the back of my neckwhere my spine meets my head. Cooling collars - the ones that take the gel packs.

Most importantly for me, DEHUMIDIFIERS. For the last 2 years we have had 2 DEHUMIDIFERS running continously through the summer. I cannot recommend them enough. We pull somewhere between 7 and 10 gallons of water per day out of the air. It makes summer in DC bearable. I may not go out much, but you are welcome to come over.

Comment

Originally posted by chickenwogs View Post
                                Hi 'Dastardly'.. Didn't know if you were on a Disability Pension or not, but if you are, there is another allowance you are entitled to from Centrelink if you receive a payment from them.. The Essential Medical Equipment payment which you can claim for each piece of equipment needed (i.e. air con, nebuliser, C-Pap,etc). Hope this helps anyone else reading too.. Cheers... Jen
                                Hi Jen and Craig,
                                Unfortunately everything in Aus is means tested now so although I'm lucky to have a husband with a good job it makes me ineligible for any subsidisation.
                                Like most of the posts here I function best at about 70 F (20-22c)
                                In a inland central Qld summer though the average is 34c (about 83F)for weeks day and night and can sometimes reach over 40C (104 F- 110 F) . I have never considered this a desert but running an a/c 24/7 just so my brain can function certainly feels like it could be considered one. And it gets darn expensive.
                                Some times i just can't avoid working in these temps, and then i pay for it physically for a couple of days.

I find I cope best by keeping my head cooler - I often wet my hair and sometimes wear a wet hat or towel to help. Might give the cooled hoodie a go, when we retire i might move to Tazzie- or Canada?
                                Just a thought,
                                All the best.

Comment

Working...
                                X