Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Leaving for vacation -- but I probably need steroids! Has this happened to anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leaving for vacation -- but I probably need steroids! Has this happened to anyone?

Sorry I don't post much, or really at all. I mainly just leave. But I'm unsure what to do. We are flying to Orlando for a disney vacation tomorrow, and over the past few days (and hey! why not that today is a holiday so no one is in the office...) I've come to realize I'm probably having a flare and need steroids. I'm miserable. On a different note, a week and a half ago I went in for a urinalysis, the UA looked good, but the culture came back Friday with 45,000 cfu/ml of enterococcus. (I put this in a separate thread to see if anyone knows if that warrants antibiotics, it would make me happy if that is what is causing problems)

So - I'll call the office tomorrow -- but has anyone ever had success with oral steroids? Would it make me miserable - or would it be a good alternative? I've only ever had IV steroids and of course don't want to do that in Florida....expensive and time consuming and probably wouldn't help in time anyway. Damn MS!!

Thanks anyone for your input and thoughts. Despite my misery, Mickey for life!

Jaime

steriods and possible infection

First I will say with the possible infection just callthe Drs. Office on Tuesday and ask if you need an Antibiotic they willknow. Prednisone (Steroid) has definitely helped me in the past with allsorts of flare ups, that being said everyone is different, and responds to medsdifferently. But if you have an infection also your provider might be morewilling to write them also. When you call the office tomorrow and ask tospeak to nurse (RN or LPN) MA or CMA. Ask about the test result and tellthem everything about your symptoms and where you are and how long you will bethere. Ask them to send your prescription to a national pharmacy that islocated in the area you live and one close to where you are staying. Tellthem when they send in the prescript not to fill as they will be getting transferredto a different location in there Pharmacy system. That is the most legal way for your normalprovider to handle your perceptions since you are out of State. My providers have done this for me in thepast.

If your provider will not do this then find a quickmed oran ER during business hours so they can call your provider if they havequestions you cannot answer.

Good Luck.

Sean
    Past EMT & Medical IT for a living.
    I am not an expert and am not making a diagnoses justtrying to help and give you some insight.

Comment

Hi Enzati,

You would need to clear up the Urinary Tract Infection with antibiotics before steroids would be considered. A UTI or any infection can cause a temporary increase of MS symptoms, this is referred to as a pseudo-exacerbation.

A pseudo-exacerbation is a temporary increase of MS symptoms due to a virus, infection, the flu, increase of core body temperature (fever or overheating).

Usually once the infection, virus, flu, resolves usually an improvement of MS symptoms are seen. However, if after the infection resolves and no improvement is seen with MS symptoms the possibility of a true exacerbation needs to be considered.
      Diagnosed 1984
      “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Hi Enzati

Ditto on the pseudoexacerbation. By definition, an increase in symptoms is not considered to be a flare in the presence of fever or infection. Fever and infections cause an increase in symptoms that are due to nerves misfiring in the presence of increased body temperature, not due to inflammation. No inflammation, no flare. No flare, no steroids. Steroids are not a treatment for infections. Antibiotics, yes. Steroids, no.

Of course call your neurologist. But don't be surprised if your neuro declines to prescribe steroids in the presence of an infection. A prudent practitioner won't.

I hope you can get started on antibiotics for your UTI before you leave. Enjoy your vacation.

Comment

Do not know if you will need, but Turner Pharmacy will deliver to any Disney World area hotel If you search for their name and Disney you should get a link to their website.

**Edited by Moderator in compliance with guidelines**

Comment

Working...
          X