Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest PML Research - Looking for clues ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Latest PML Research - Looking for clues ...

Infection with the JC virus most often passes unnoticed in healthy adults. For reasons still eluding scientists, however, MS patients treated with natalizumab (Tysabri), as well as patients with other autoimmune conditions and cancers treated with certain immunosuppressive drugs, are at increased risk of developing the brain disease.

Earlier research noted that JC virus isolated from patients with PML was mutated. The mutation, present as a change of a single amino acid, affects the part of the virus shell that allow it to dock into and infect human cells. Scientists demonstrated that the mutation alters the capacity of the virus to infect certain tissues, but until now they did not know whether it also had an impact on immune responses to the virus.

The study, “Type I Interferons Regulate the Magnitude and Functionality of Mouse Polyomavirus-Specific CD8 T Cells in a Virus Strain-Dependent Manner,” published in the Journal of Virology, set out to explore this crucial question. Investigating mice with a mouse variant of the JC virus, the research team indeed found that when the mutation was present, immune T-cell responses were not as pronounced.

“We found that mouse polyomaviruses with a single amino acid change in their shell elicit a very different magnitude and quality of the T cell response that is needed to control the infection,” Dr. Lukacher said.

http://multiplesclerosisnewstoday.com/2016/05/24/mutation-in-pml-virus-allows-evasion-of-host-immune-responses-in-ms/

Yikes

"Earlier research noted that JC virus isolated from patients with PML was mutated."

I do not know the mechanism for transmitting the JC virus, but does this mean that the mutated form can be sent out into the general public due to MS (and other) treatments?

Posted the same comment on the referenced site. Hope someone more knowledgeable can provide a reassuring answer.

Comment

Originally posted by jumangi View Post
      "Earlier research noted that JC virus isolated from patients with PML was mutated."

I do not know the mechanism for transmitting the JC virus, but does this mean that the mutated form can be sent out into the general public due to MS (and other) treatments?

Posted the same comment on the referenced site. Hope someone more knowledgeable can provide a reassuring answer.

I believe the JCV mutations are confined and limited to the patient. A normal immune system will still keep the JCV in a dormant state and pose no risk.

Comment

You are probably correct

Originally posted by Marco View Post
        I believe the JCV mutations are confined and limited to the patient. A normal immune system will still keep the JCV in a dormant state and pose no risk.
        I did some more internet searching for JCV and found that there are already several geographic specific strains. It appears that only a compromised immune system is susceptible to it, so that should apply to the mutation cited in the article.

Comment

I wish I could understand this.i used to be smart. Now are this goes oer my head..

Comment

Working...
          X