COLONOSCOPY NIGHTMARE!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

COLONOSCOPY NIGHTMARE!

I know this is not the best of topics but if I can spare even one person from the nightmare I went through on Wednesday it's all worth it.

To make this brief I'll cut right to the point. I followed all the instructions of the Prep Pack and drank all the water, plus more, that the instructions called for. You can tell where this is headed. Even after spending what seemed like an eternity in the bathroom I still didn't completely clean out.

So, while in the hospital they gave me a Re-Prep. Well let me tell you, I only thought I had been going to the bathroom a lot. I didn't think it would ever end. I had the test done, arrived back home, and was still going to the bathroom all that night and part of the following day.

Now there are some other parts to this story but I'm leaving anything of importance out. It was determined, while I was in the middle of the Re-Prep that my MS was the cause for my problems. The nurses asked if I had trouble with bowel movements, to which I answered yes. That's how they determined it was my MS. Now, here is where I'll leave out some details but, I'll just say it involves numbing cream and no modesty.

As this nightmare came to an end the nurse comes in with my marching orders and tells me I have to repeat the procedure in 2 years. AND, I'll have a 2 DAY PREP. So, I have that going for me.

Now I have a question. Has anyone else had a problem such as mine when having a colonoscopy? It all made perfect sense so I didn't question anything. I did read some really old posts that referenced this very same problem. Anyway, thank you, if you took the time to read this. Hopefully it will help someone to be better prepared.
    Dx'd 4/1/11. First symptoms in 2001. Avonex 4/11, Copaxone 5/12, Tecfidera 4/13 Gilenya 4/14-10/14 Currently on no DMT's, Started Aubagio 9/21/15. Back on Avonex 10/15

It's hard to beat a person that never gives up.
    Babe Ruth

Me Too

I had a colonoscopy about a year ago. I followed the prep instructions to the letter yet the doctor told me the prep was only partially effective. They did the colonoscopy anyway with no other treatment but I was shocked when the doctor told me that. It must have been the MS in my opinion after reading your post.

Comment

Same experience as loopey for me.
      PPMS
      Dx 07/13

Comment

My first colonoscopy I wasn't completely clean either, but all they did was tell me I needed another in 5 years rather than ten.

My stomach started bloating a year ago,so i went to my family doc with my concerns. He could not hear any stomach sounds, ordered an x-ray, and determined I had blockage. Not that I hadn't always kept going! I just used suppositories to help myself. Well after a cat-scan, and 6 months on Linzess and a quadruple dose daily of Miralax (yes, going all the time!) I had my second colonoscopy. Prep was nothing after 9 months on the above regimen. No problems so I am now on the ten year colonoscopy plan!

But I will probably have to spend the rest of my life on Linzess and the Miralax. I can tell even when I miss one day of the Linzess. My MS is the reason for the slowing. My gastro said it is common with MS, although my neuro didn't necessarily say much about it. I appreciated my family doc taking the initiative to get me into the gastro and follow-up with my digestive concerns!

Linzess is expensive, but it is a digestive need for me!!
        Brenda
        Adversity gives you two choices in life: either let it make you bitter, or let it make you better! I choose the latter.

Comment

I also had an awful experience. The process they put me through actually made me sick. So whatever wasn't coming out one end was coming the other. HORRIBLE! I just sat on toilet with bucket in front onto of me.

I was told to come back every three years. I will really have to be having horrific problems.
          DIAGNOSED=2012
          ISSUES LONG BEFORE
          REBIF 1 YEAR

Comment

WOW!! Well I'm really sorry all of you guys had the problems that you had. As you know, I can relate. I Gastro was really nice and felt really bad for me. But i suspect I was his first MS'er. So in a way, I felt bad for him too.

As if, not being able to walk, inability to find words, numb legs, feet, arms and hands. And a multitude of other symptoms to numerous to mention, the inability to poop, using laxatives akin to a nuclear weapon 😂, is
            is something else we can thank MS for.
            Dx'd 4/1/11. First symptoms in 2001. Avonex 4/11, Copaxone 5/12, Tecfidera 4/13 Gilenya 4/14-10/14 Currently on no DMT's, Started Aubagio 9/21/15. Back on Avonex 10/15

It's hard to beat a person that never gives up.
            Babe Ruth

Comment

Me to. Its been about 10 yrs now due for another one

I get so sick from the stuff you have to drink and I don't empty out all the way. Gastro dr said he had to finish cleaning me out but I was good for another 10 yrs

Shoo
              Shoo

Comment

Yep colonoscopy and gastroscopy. The bowel is stretched and does not clear properly. The had to drain on the table the last test. Its a pain in the **** literally.

Comment

The same thing happened to me, but it was before my diagnosis. Dr. said I didn't have to come back for 10 years. It's 2 years away and I have been dreading it since that day!
                  Carole
                  diagnosed 10/25/11

Comment

Suprep is the newest prep, and isn't nearly as bad as the first prep i took. You have to drink stuff, but not nearly as much. I would suggest to any that have had problems in the past to start a month in advance with the Miralax, so that by the time you do the prep, you have cleared out a lot.
                    Brenda
                    Adversity gives you two choices in life: either let it make you bitter, or let it make you better! I choose the latter.

Comment

New, non-invasive test!

Google "Cologuard" for more info. Covered by Medicare, and some private insurance covers it. I would think that eventually all of them would, as the cost is a little over $600--a lot less than a colonoscopy! Not a solution in all cases, but sounds like a great option for a lot of people. I would pay for it totally out of pocket if I had to, just to avoid the ordeal involved with the conventional method!
                      PPMS
                      Dx 07/13

Comment

Working...
                      X