Member Topic for the Month of May

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Member Topic for the Month of May

Your Member topic for the month of May is here!
    You made suggestions and we listened!

Thanks to all who participated in April's Member Topic of the Month!

For the month of May, your topic will be on the creative outlets you use to stay positive/ happy.

Please join us in this important conversation on ways you do this, despite living with Multiple Sclerosis. Your thoughts and concerns on this topic are always welcomed.

Thank you all for your participation and stay tuned for more topics from your suggestions in the months to come! We appreciate all your thoughtful ideas and hope to hear more from you! You can add more suggestions here: http://www.msworld.org/forum/showthr...the-Month-quot
    Last edited by Kimba22; 05-06-2016, 12:10 AM. Reason: fixed url link
    Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Water Aerobics

I'm not quite sure where we are supposed to put this for the topic of the month, so I hope replying was correct! One thing that has helped me stay positive is going to a water aerobics class every day during my lunch hour. We have a hospital that offers a health and fitness academy. One part of it is to offer a water aerobics class for 45 minutes Mon.-Friday in a nice warm pool! There are members who have had knee/hip replacements, those who are obese, arthritis patients, and me with MS.

It is an activity I look forward to every day because the people there are friendly, the teacher is caring, and we work really hard. The pool was shut down for 6 weeks last fall, and I sorely missed it. I have even gotten my older sister to attend who is having troubles with a sore back. Even though she is probably 80 lbs. lighter, hikes and bikes still, she is amazed how good I move in the pool! It is great to be somewhere I run faster than others, jump up on benches, sweat, and just feel active.

I move a bit slow for a couple of hours after getting out of the pool, but it has been such a boost to my physical body that it keeps me going and able to work 40 hours a week. I'm grateful that I have a job that allows me to do this in the middle of the day. I am blessed!
    Brenda
    Adversity gives you two choices in life: either let it make you bitter, or let it make you better! I choose the latter.

Comment

Having Trouble With This

This is a great topic. For me, right now, I have been having a terrible time dealing with MS. I have been doing mindfulness meditation, have been to a therapist, try to keep going even when I have no enthusiasm for anything. I will be grateful to hear of how others are keeping happy. My therapists have told me I am not depressed but it feels that way.

Comment

Family

Spending time with my wife and 5 year-old little girl really help keep me positive. I used to work a lot and now that I'm working far less, I'm seeing my family a lot more.

I also do pool PT twice per week which is taxing and yet I find it enjoyable.

Comment

Gardening!

I have been a gardener for well over 40 years now. I've had to make major changes for making this happen, but it brings me so much pleasure and joy! It's a place that I can forget all my troubles and just zone in to the veggies, flowers, fruits and dirt. I love getting dirt on my hands.

It's one of my meditative practices as it brings me peace of mind. Yoga practice does that too

I also love to knit even though my fingers are numb. I have had a lot of practice lately as we're having 3 more grandbabies within the next 3 months. Grandchildren keep me feeling positive and happy as well as being around our family.
          1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
          Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Hi everyone its funny isn't it we are all very similar "as a species" but we are all so different when it comes to what we like to eat, drink and what we enjoy, for me I meet with a bunch of guys once a week (when I can get there) for a motorcycle ride for 1/2 hour have a coffee then a beer then ride home all up it takes about 3 hours I have been doing this for the past 7 years and really look forward to it. I love being with my wife of 25 years and 4 adult children and now our granddaughter she is 20 months old talking her head off and running everywhere, my wife and I have her through the day for 3 days a week, you know how old you are getting when chasing after grand kids, I also enjoy gardening but even that is becoming an issue of late, I have had enough of this MS it is really getting me down, this past 12 months have been really tough but my granddaughter makes me smile she really melts this old guys heart Craig

Comment

I enjoy my grandkids, who take my mind completely off of myself. They are therapeutic to me.....most of the time. lol

Also, doing something to be helpful to someone else, especially things with short term commitment, that have positive benefits for someone and allows me to walk away when its done.

I really enjoy things that I am able to do when I'm feeling healthy enough, but have no responsibility or guilt when I'm not able to.

It allows me to feel useful, I can use my intellect when its working and not screw up something when its not.

Comment

one of the ways in which I like to stay positive is to watch my bird feeders. I find that it gi even more pleasurable feeling of peacefulness. it is even more pleasurable when I can enjoy activities outside.
                hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
                volunteer
                MS World
                hunterd@msworld.org
                PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

The simple things seem to bring us the most joy and this is how life should be enjoyed Craig

Comment

great answers!

i want to say 'ditto' to everything, but if i had to say just one thing that keeps me positive would be my grandchild. when i'm with her, anything is possible.

she was here for a couple of weeks at papa and grandma's resort! it was a hoot having her to ourselves. she got me back out walking again. i'd forgotten how much fun and relaxing just a slow walk around to the neighborhood lake could be. picking out birds, trees and flowers.

creatively, you'll find a crochet hook in my hand every day! she's 3 1/2 and wanted to learn how to crochet! i gave her a small ball of yarn and a plastic hook and you'd have thought i'd given her a $100! she was thrilled to crochet with me.

i've read where crocheting is therapeutic. it definitely helps me with stress. i like to keep my hands busy. i had a doctor friend tell me a long time ago to never quit crocheting, it was one of the best things i could do for my arthritic hands.

that's medicine i love to take!

especially when i have another grand on the way this fall. seasha! congrats, 3 more on the way! how wonderful!

plus reading, reading a book called ' One Thousand Gifts' by Ann Voscamp. a book about how to live fully. i'm really enjoying it and it's helping a lot on how i view life while on this earth.

thinking of heaven and knowing i won't always feel like this makes me happy, but you gotta survive living here first!

great topic!

thanks for it and God bless ya'll!
                    "All things are possible for those who believe." Jesus

Comment

What helps me to stay happy

Listening to my favorite music always helps...🙂

Comment

Happiness will happen in New Ways

When I am tired, have a headache or just feeling down, yoga helps every time. There are different ways to do yoga (beginner, meditative or active) and each one is so very calming and mood lifting. My activity I will never give up.

When one door of happiness closes, another opens, but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one that has been opened for us.
                        Helen Keller

Comment

After not being able to continue working, I had to keep busy.... my nature is to be productive, helping someone with something I had a great career and had been a single mom for 20 years, so to suddenly find myself with limitations was pretty hard to handle.

But, my outlet was volunteering! I have become very involved with a parrot rescue, its a win all around. I am able to use my business management background and feel like I'm making a difference in some way to someone (even if those someone's now have feathers!). But more important, getting involved with the shelter I found a new wonderful friend who is the sister I never had, the MS does not phase her and she is incredibly supportive of the dietary restrictions I am forced to live with. And on top of all that, I have a new 'baby'... he's 27, but totally a momma's boy and he keeps me busy and much like a child, he's a reason I have to get up and keep moving! He's a gorgeous blue and gold macaw that decided I was his new mom (I never wanted a big parrot, but there was no telling Max he couldn't come home, we joked he would have stolen my car keys and stowed away in the trunk).

I don't think I can post pics, but I believe I updated my profile pic to be a pic of me and Max.

Comment

First, my faith in God keeps me positive and my husband, he encourages me to get up and out. I just went on an Alaskan cruise, I resisted going for many years but finally decided to go. I had my challenges but my scooter and I made it and had the best time ever.

So doing something you think you can't do is so exuberant.
                            God Bless Us All

Comment

I don't know how anyone stays positive

I have no positive left in me, and I wish I did. MS has the upper hand, it's stolen most of me and I wonder how people find the light in a situation like this. I see MS people at the doctor, some walking around in heels, or just walking, and I'm jealous.

Comment

Working...
                              X