Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MS Fatigue: Is it independent of workloads, exercises-loads and amount of stress?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MS Fatigue: Is it independent of workloads, exercises-loads and amount of stress?

Hi, I am a Norwegian MS patient. I have been wondering about this for years, and I would be very thankful for answers from you "co-paients:" Do my "fatigue-attacks" come independently of workloads, exercise and normal life-stress, or is there in fact a "pattern?" As far as now, it is difficult for me to see a clear pattern; I feel it is "thrown in my face" without any pattern. Usually, it lasts 1-3 days, and therefore I need to take a sick-leave from work for 1-3 days.

(Short facts about me: Male, 53 y old. Diagnosed in 2009, on Betfaron (Betaseron)-injections since then. Have a few lesions in my brain (haven't had any new lesions in several years), but is 100% symptom-free from MS, except from the fatigue-problem. Married, in fulltime job as a salesrep. Have been exercising all my life, and is still exercising 4 times a week.)

"Do my "fatigue-attacks" come independently of workloads, exercise and normal life-stress, or is there in fact a ttern?""

this is a very interesting question, it is also a very difficult question. I never had a "pattern". But I can say that in times that I increased my physical activities that resulted in an increase in body temperature I did in fact experience fatigue. I used to describe it to everyone as "hitting a brick wall". There was no set pattern or timeframe in which this occurred, but I can say that fatigue was quicker to occur with the more activity that I did that would result in an increase in body temperature. And naturally, the warmer the temperatures the quicker fatigue is to set in.
    I hope you get this all sorted out. I have never been able to figure it out precisely but I have figured out some general possibilities. I wish you the best of luck in this
    hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
    volunteer
    MS World
    hunterd@msworld.org
    PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

A pattern to fatigue

Since I am Secondary Progressive now, I am never really symptom-free, but I notice that sometimes fatigue is far greater than at other times.

I agree with Dave that heat is the most consistent trigger. I exercise vigorously every day, but I do it in a cool pool so I don't get overheated. Even a short walk outdoors on a hot day, however, can zap my endurance for quite a while. A period of stress is also apt to be a period of greater fatigue, but sometimes the stress seems trivial yet it still exacerbates symptoms. So the end result makes it all seem random.

In general, however, I tend to concentrate on what are the common characteristics of periods when I have fewer symptoms of my MS rather than to try puzzling out what might be common factors in periods of more symptoms. So I cultivate good habits - keeping cool, frequent short rests, healthy eating, and intentional stress management.

Good luck. It's a quest.
      Mermaid
      "Life is short, and we have but little time to gladden the hearts of those who travel with us; so let us be swift to love, and make haste to be kind."

-Henri Amiel

Comment

Your question is very intriguing.
        It made me reflect on my exercise habits & occurrences of fatigue.
        I realized I'm hit with a more intense fatigue after exercise that raises my core body temp. If I get hot, I get wiped out. If the exercise is more "relaxed" and I don't "heat up", I don't get the fatigue.
        It's hard for me to accept that, but for me anyway, there it is.
        "Hope for the best and plan for the worst. That way, all your surprises will be pleasant."
        Verin Mathwin, The Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan

Comment

Originally posted by hunterd View Post
          "Do my "fatigue-attacks" come independently of workloads, exercise and normal life-stress, or is there in fact a ttern?""

this is a very interesting question, it is also a very difficult question. I never had a "pattern". But I can say that in times that I increased my physical activities that resulted in an increase in body temperature I did in fact experience fatigue. I used to describe it to everyone as "hitting a brick wall". There was no set pattern or timeframe in which this occurred, but I can say that fatigue was quicker to occur with the more activity that I did that would result in an increase in body temperature. And naturally, the warmer the temperatures the quicker fatigue is to set in.
          I hope you get this all sorted out. I have never been able to figure it out precisely but I have figured out some general possibilities. I wish you the best of luck in this
          Thank you so much for your answer. Yes. I feel that the body temperature is the key word for me, too. Often, I ask my wife to touch my forehead, and I ask her if she can feel a raised temperature on my forehead. The 2 other responses I received here (by May 15) also mention raised body temp. I have "googled" MS and raised body temp., and some of the theories seems to be the following: Our already injured axons have a decreased ability to forward nerve impulses, especially high frequency impulses. This ability seems to be further decreased when the body temperature increases. This is information which could be important to know about, especially if you are an exercising MS person. Sometimes , I would like to to interval-running, with some high intensity sessions, but instead, I should maybe go for more low-intensity programs, since this prpbably raise body temp. less...?? I have a good example from today: I did my 4 miles and 600 yeards jogging session today. It was sunny, but a cold northern wind outside, and the temp. outdoor was 53,6 Farenheit. I thought I would not lower my body temp more than necessary. So I went jogging only in shorts and a T shirt. It felt a little chilly, but it went OK. When I came home, I hade a cool down period on the floor. And my shower afterwards was with a temperature a little lower than usual. Now, it is only a few hours after, but so far so good! I have learbned from this: I this exercise and stress can rise the body temp., and we have to take that into account , in order to TRY to prevent excess of MS fatigue! Someone who wants to comment on me or who have some good additional advices/info?

Comment

Originally posted by Mermaid Susan View Post
            Since I am Secondary Progressive now, I am never really symptom-free, but I notice that sometimes fatigue is far greater than at other times.

I agree with Dave that heat is the most consistent trigger. I exercise vigorously every day, but I do it in a cool pool so I don't get overheated. Even a short walk outdoors on a hot day, however, can zap my endurance for quite a while. A period of stress is also apt to be a period of greater fatigue, but sometimes the stress seems trivial yet it still exacerbates symptoms. So the end result makes it all seem random.

In general, however, I tend to concentrate on what are the common characteristics of periods when I have fewer symptoms of my MS rather than to try puzzling out what might be common factors in periods of more symptoms. So I cultivate good habits - keeping cool, frequent short rests, healthy eating, and intentional stress management.

Good luck. It's a quest.
            Mermaid
            Hi Mermaid. Thanks for your answer. Yes, I think body temp is a key word here. Please see my response to "hunterd" in this thread. Good luck with you!

Comment

Originally posted by TinaP303 View Post
              Your question is very intriguing.
              It made me reflect on my exercise habits & occurrences of fatigue.
              I realized I'm hit with a more intense fatigue after exercise that raises my core body temp. If I get hot, I get wiped out. If the exercise is more "relaxed" and I don't "heat up", I don't get the fatigue.
              It's hard for me to accept that, but for me anyway, there it is.
              Hi TinaP303. Thanks for your answer. Yes, I think body temp is a key word here. Please see my response to "hunterd" in this thread. Good luck with you!

Comment

Fatigue

MS fatigue also has to do with weather.

If you live in an area with rapid climate changes (like South Central Wisconsin as I do)...

Temperature changes of 30 degrees or more can wreak havoc on your life.

Weakness, muscle spasms, muscle fatigue, fatigue, mood changes as well as insomnia.

For example; the day before yesterday (Friday May 13) the temp was 70. Yesterday the temp at it's highest was 50 but dropped throughout the day. By 4pm the temp as 40 and by 2am the temp dropped to 20.

Huge temp change.

Oddly enough on Friday I could barely stay awake all day. I woke and napped all day. Wake for about an hour and sleep for 2. All day and night. Couldn't figure out what the heck was wrong with me.

I didn't realize exactly how cold it got last night until I went outside and learned that my hose sprung a leak due to the freezing temps as well as my plants (even those that were covered) are now dead.

Barometric pressure is an MS medical phenomenon. Depending on where in the world you are and what time of the year it is where you live.

There is also a difference between a flare and an actual exacerbation. A flare will last 12-24 hours where an exerbation will last beyond 72.

Tis Spring here in Central Wisconsin. I am getting away without an exacerbation...thus far.

Meanwhile back at the ranch I have issues...minor ones...thank GOD!

Fatigue seems to be the course this Spring. I was also fired from my job in Feb 2016. Looking for work, paying bills on minimal income, ex-husband murdered my mother 27 yrs ago he is on his second parole hearing (trying to keep him locked up)...I have a lot of stress mixed in with the season and temp changes...

What do I know? Survive. That is all one can do.

Take what's good and take what's bad and there you have the facts of life.

Live today like there is no tomorrow. Pray a lot for someone other than yourself and mean it. Do something nice for someone; especially when you don't have it in you to do it. Today is your tomorrow and tomorrow is your yesterday.

If it hurts use it. MS pain is nuerological pain. The less you move the less you will be able to. Remember....it aint broke....it works - just work it. Yes, your pain is real. Don't give in. Don't give up!

Comment

Originally posted by kmathis View Post
                  MS fatigue also has to do with weather.

If you live in an area with rapid climate changes (like South Central Wisconsin as I do)...

Temperature changes of 30 degrees or more can wreak havoc on your life.

Weakness, muscle spasms, muscle fatigue, fatigue, mood changes as well as insomnia.

For example; the day before yesterday (Friday May 13) the temp was 70. Yesterday the temp at it's highest was 50 but dropped throughout the day. By 4pm the temp as 40 and by 2am the temp dropped to 20.

Huge temp change.

Oddly enough on Friday I could barely stay awake all day. I woke and napped all day. Wake for about an hour and sleep for 2. All day and night. Couldn't figure out what the heck was wrong with me.

I didn't realize exactly how cold it got last night until I went outside and learned that my hose sprung a leak due to the freezing temps as well as my plants (even those that were covered) are now dead.

Barometric pressure is an MS medical phenomenon. Depending on where in the world you are and what time of the year it is where you live.

There is also a difference between a flare and an actual exacerbation. A flare will last 12-24 hours where an exerbation will last beyond 72.

Tis Spring here in Central Wisconsin. I am getting away without an exacerbation...thus far.

Meanwhile back at the ranch I have issues...minor ones...thank GOD!

Fatigue seems to be the course this Spring. I was also fired from my job in Feb 2016. Looking for work, paying bills on minimal income, ex-husband murdered my mother 27 yrs ago he is on his second parole hearing (trying to keep him locked up)...I have a lot of stress mixed in with the season and temp changes...

What do I know? Survive. That is all one can do.

Take what's good and take what's bad and there you have the facts of life.

Live today like there is no tomorrow. Pray a lot for someone other than yourself and mean it. Do something nice for someone; especially when you don't have it in you to do it. Today is your tomorrow and tomorrow is your yesterday.

If it hurts use it. MS pain is nuerological pain. The less you move the less you will be able to. Remember....it aint broke....it works - just work it. Yes, your pain is real. Don't give in. Don't give up!
                  Hi KMATHIS.
                  Thanks for your response.
                  Temperatur/weather changes is a new one to me when it comes to MS. I thought this connection was more typical for rheumatic illnesses. So far , I have not felt any influence from outside temperatur changes, but I will see what happens next time. Sorry to hear about your heavy life stress. Probably NOT positive for your MS.
                  Best regards from sirili62.

Comment

Working...
                  X