MS is my albatross

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MS is my albatross

Hi everyone reading this. I was diagnosed with relapsing-remitting MS on a fateful September's day in 2012. I was 33.

Although I've had MS for a few years now, it still seems so new to me. It's like I wake up every day surprised I still have it. I am still shocked at the symptoms it throws at me. I'm a trigeminal-neuralgia sufferer with major depression to go with it. In 2012, I made an attempt on my life which fortunately for my loved ones did not succeed. I wish I felt as fortunate.

As time has worn on, I've received counselling for my head but I've lost some feeling on the right side of my body and now am experiencing neuropathic pain in my feet and legs. The depression has crept back. The mood swings are unbearable for those close to me and I've damaged personal relationships what seems to be beyond repair.

My doctor told me I need to reach out to those with MS because you'd understand what this burden feels like to carry and how to make it easier. I haven't felt ready until now.

I'm sorry to be such a Debbie Downer but this is my current reality. I don't know what folks do to make things better.

WELCOME TO MS WORLD! I could have written the above myself. Your doctor told you what my doctor told me ( she also suggested I seek counseling). Any time you have any questions look up the topic in the search, and if it does
    come up with anything please start a new discussion (thread). I think many herewill be able to relate to what you are experiencing. Our members here are very helpful and important of
    hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
    volunteer
    MS World
    hunterd@msworld.org
    PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

Originally posted by LiLaLemon View Post
      Hi everyone reading this. I was diagnosed with relapsing-remitting MS on a fateful September's day in 2012. I was 33.

Although I've had MS for a few years now, it still seems so new to me. It's like I wake up every day surprised I still have it. I am still shocked at the symptoms it throws at me. I'm a trigeminal-neuralgia sufferer with major depression to go with it. In 2012, I made an attempt on my life which fortunately for my loved ones did not succeed. I wish I felt as fortunate.

As time has worn on, I've received counselling for my head but I've lost some feeling on the right side of my body and now am experiencing neuropathic pain in my feet and legs. The depression has crept back. The mood swings are unbearable for those close to me and I've damaged personal relationships what seems to be beyond repair.

My doctor told me I need to reach out to those with MS because you'd understand what this burden feels like to carry and how to make it easier. I haven't felt ready until now.

I'm sorry to be such a Debbie Downer but this is my current reality. I don't know what folks do to make things better.
      Hello LiLaLemon

Welcome aboard the MS boat (that no one really wants to journey on).

As you read the various threads and posts, you will learn that you are not alone while dealing with MS, and that others do understand.

There are so many possible symptoms and life circumstances. Everyone doesn't have the exact same ones, but you'll see that most likely there will be someone here who can relate.

I'm very fortunate in that I don't suffer from major depression or trigeminal neuralgia pain as you do, so I can't help much with that. But I know there are others here who do have to deal with those issues.

Hopefully you will feel a little better from sharing what you're going through and knowing you're not alone.

Wishing you some relief.

Take Care
      PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
      ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Depression

I know exactly how you feel with the depression. I as well have attempted to take my life once obviously failed. When I had my first tysabri infusion I got slapped with the depression side effect hard so hard I tried everything but suicide to get rid of it so I cut. I knew once the depression started to fade a bit I had to surround myself with people I truly love and can trust. Never lock self in room and be antisocial because I did that Now I know how I would want to commit suicide and have my will written at 23

Comment

Hi lilamom

I'm sorry that you are suffering from TN. I know this pain and it is not fun at all. Please tell me that it is not constant??

I want to let you know that I've had it pretty bad, but at this moment am completely pain free. I will pray that you get the same relief. Hang in there and I will pray with you. I'm so glad that your here.

I look forward to getting to know you more.

Comment

What does 'ms is my albatross' mean? - that you're once again just another fish in the sea
            ?

Comment

Hello LiLaLemon

I'm so glad you came looking for kinship, for other people who share your experience. Like you, I have a lot of trouble reaching out to others. You are providing me with a good example.

What do other people to cope with pain and/or depression? I favor distraction. If I cannot fix the problem, at least I can think about something else for a little while. Try taking a walk. It will get you out of the house, give you something new to look at. And the exercise will improve the circulation in your legs and feet, helping with the pain. Or, given that you are clearly a literate person, read a book. Not just any book, pick one you can get involved with. There is nothing like being deep in chapter ten, reading frantically to find out if your favorite character is going to survive until chapter eleven, to distract you from your own troubles.

Distraction is not, of course, a panacea. But it can help.

Come back LiLaLemon, and share what coping methods you have found. I'd love to hear.

Comment

Hi there, just saw this and its been a couple months since the post. How are you doing? I understand the depression and the crazy symptoms. Currently I am struggling with a lot as well, an part is just living. Hoping and praying everyday, that God will make me better. You're definitely not alone in this, which can be comforting, and sickening at the same time, knowing there are so many of us around, yet we feel all alone.

Comment

Hey LiLaLemon,
                  I get it. The "what the junk?" feeling is one I had for a really long time after being told I had MS on top of Trigeminal Neuralgia. OK, I still get that feeling, it's just so much crap to have to deal with. Possible disability on top of horrible pain is nobody's idea of a good time and a perfect reason to be depressed. Been there - done that. Is your TN Type 1 (intermittent horrible high level pain) or Type 2 (24/7 lower level pain)?
                  You said you weren't sure what folks do to make things better. I listen to music. Fun, fast paced music that makes me want to move. Or I escape into a book, it takes almost no energy, but the escape into someone else's reality (or total fantasy) for a little while is a fun thing for me. Getting outside helps lift my spirits, fresh air & sunshine just feels better.
                  Let us know how you're doing.
                  hugz
                  Tina
                  "Hope for the best and plan for the worst. That way, all your surprises will be pleasant."
                  Verin Mathwin, The Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan

Comment

Nah, you're not a Debbie Downer. You're someone with MS.

Comment

I agree with Thinkimjob! That's MS ! I wish that I could suggest a fix ! Some MSer's try weed ! Good luck !!!

Comment

Working...
                      X