Hair loss. Yes or No?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hair loss. Yes or No?

Hello everyone. Please chime in on your experience with hair loss. Is it really only 15% who experience this? If you are on Aubagio and have NOT had hair loss as a side effect, I'd really love to hear your story!! (If you have lost hair, it'd be great to know about your experience, too.) Sort of anxious and scared. Anything I can do to lessen the chance?
    Thanks.

Not on Abagio

I use Copaxone 40.

No hair loss here.
    ~ Faith
    MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
    - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
    - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
    - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

I've been on Aubagio since Dec 2014. About 4 or 5 months after starting I started having more hair in my brush than normal, about triple the usual amount. It lasted around 5 or 6 weeks, and to be honest it concerned me, but nobody else noticed. Nobody. My hair has all grown back in and has never "thinned out" again.
      Everyone's hair grows & falls out on a regular cycle. You usually see a few hairs in your brush, right? It's no big deal. It's my understanding that Aubagio (if this happens) merely "jump starts" your body's natural hair loss & regrowth cycle. Once things level out, all is well. For a side effect, I feel it's pretty tame.
      Taking Boitin (find in any vitamin aisle) will help with regrowth of your hair IF you end up having that side effect. It's measured in mcg (micrograms). I was told to take 5000 mcg daily.(beware, you'll end up needing to shave far more often too!) Happily it does help nail growth too.
      Good luck, I hope this helps.
      "Hope for the best and plan for the worst. That way, all your surprises will be pleasant."
      Verin Mathwin, The Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan

Comment

No hair loss. But I only have been on Aubagio 14 mg for two months

Comment

My MS Neuro said Yes

Hi
          I have been on Aubagio for less than 2 months and have not yet experienced hair loss.

My MS Neuro said that all his patients that are on Aubagio (approx 700) experienced some degree of hair loss. Some were very very minor but 2 of his patients (female) had it very severe where you could see their scalp. The good thing is that it is supposed to how back!

Good luck!

Comment

Moderate hair loss here

I've been on Abagio since May and i started noticing hair on my hands when i barely push my hair away from my face a few weeks ago. I can see my scalp pretty well but my fam tells me it's not that bad. They want to make me feel better... I just cut about 12 inches off my hair to try and ease the pressure. I'm really emotional about it. Glad to read other's stories. Thank you all!

Comment

recently stopped Aubagio because of hair loss and GI issues

Until about a month ago, I had been on Aubagio for 2.5 years. My hair thinned some the first 6 months or so then grew back. It did grow back curly and frizzy and my hair was always stick thin before. Anyway jump ahead to about 2 months ago and 80% of my hair fell out within 2 weeks. I have huge bald spots in several places and what I do have is very little.

Comment

I've had hair loss with every MS med except Tecfidera. Unfortunately, I did not tolerate Tecfidera. I've been on all the oral meds and am now am on Plegridy. The hair loss was all over though (more in front) and not in patches. I do have a LOT of hair loss if I attempt to place permanent hair color on my hair while on MS meds. So much so, that I will no longer use permanent hair color.

My neuro suggested Rogaine and I tried it. It did help a little. I also tried Biotin which seemed to help.

Tjfl, I hope you find a solution to your hair loss. It would seriously upset me experience hair loss like you described. Please keep us updated if you find out what caused it.

Comment

Will be starting Aubagio soon

My doctor is getting everything rolling for me to start Aubagio. I already have very fine, thin hair, and you can see my scalp easily. I can't imagine what even a small hair loss will do! I've been taking Biotin for about 7 months, and it has made my hair grow faster, but not necessarily more of it.

I hate to seem so vain about it, but hair loss is a huge concern of mine.
                  Donna K: dx RRMS 12/07. Rebif 2/08 - 3/09, Tysabri 3/09 - 7/12, ended due to JCV+. Betasaron 8/12 - present
                  Filed for SSDI 8/12. Approved 11/12
                  dx PPMS 7/13. Added Metotrexate 2.5 mgx3 to Beteseron. Stopped all meds 3/14 to quality for ibudilast clinical trial for PPMS

Comment

Been on Aubagio for 9-10 months. No hair loss, no side effects.
                    Good luck

Comment

My Neuro told me only about 13% of all his patients has had hair loss/thinning. I was one of the unfortunate ones. But it is only one growth cycle and it is growing back. So worth it. I couldn't take the Beta shots anymore and I had no other side effect from the Aubagio. I was lucky in a sense that my hair is curly and coarse so only my close friends and family noticed that I had lost half the amount of hair on my head. You could see my scalp in front. I will be happy when it is back to normal. I have been on it a little over a year.

Comment

Hi,been on adagio about 1 year no hair loss.

Comment

Mild hair loss

Was on Tecfidera for 4 yrs, last year started noticing lots of hair in the shower. Then switched to Aubagio which hair loss continued. Due to poor labs, now on Ocrevus. Happy to say labs better, hair great!

Comment

Originally posted by carrie1429 View Post
                            My Neuro told me only about 13% of all his patients has had hair loss/thinning. I was one of the unfortunate ones. But it is only one growth cycle and it is growing back. So worth it. I couldn't take the Beta shots anymore and I had no other side effect from the Aubagio. I was lucky in a sense that my hair is curly and coarse so only my close friends and family noticed that I had lost half the amount of hair on my head. You could see my scalp in front. I will be happy when it is back to normal. I have been on it a little over a year.

How is long was the one hair growth you mention? I am debating stopping the Aubagio because I have been losing hair and it doesn’t seem to be stopping.

Comment

When I take niacinamide (a B vitamin) my hair loss decreases dramatically in a short period of time. Both Gilenya and Ocrevus make me lose hair and for both, niacinamide brings it back. I go by the fact that the shower walls are not coated with lose hair and the drain is no longer covered, in fact, it´s hardly covered at all.

Comment

Working...
                              X