Back on Avonex

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Back on Avonex

Just like the title says, I'm back on Avonex again, after taking Tecfidera for almost 3 years. My reason for going back to Avonex is because I had shingles back in September and never really got back to feeling well again.
    My neuro gave me the choice of going back on Tefidera (after stopping it when I had shingles) or trying a different dmd. I agreed to try Tysabri. Unfortunately, JCV blood test came back positive.
    I had been on Avonex before Tecfidera. I only switched because I got sick of giving myself shots. Before Avonex I had been on Betaseron for so long I can't remember when I started.
    Now that I am back on Avonex I hope to get back some of the functionality I had before the shingles happened.
    Thanks for reading my post.

If you an get by any side effects giving yourself the shots should become little more than a minor inconvecience.
    Been taking Avonex since June 96
    For me Interferon therapy is essential in slowing MS down.
    Will continue with the weekly injections and take my disease one day at a time...

Comment

Week 2

Took Avonex on Friday. Left arm this time. Only 1/2 dose because of titration. Flu-like symptoms started in about an hour. Lasted until Sunday morning. Glad I do this shot on Friday or else I wouldn't have been able to go to work. Hopefully my body will get used to the Avonex so I don't have side-effects.

Comment

If you are still having side effects for as long as you said in your post.....which is way too long IMO, ask your doc to prescribe 10 mg. prednisone. Taken 6 hours before injecting, will diminish those side effects considerably. I would never have been able to keep on Avonex without that weekly prednisone. Most people can give it up after a month or two as your body gets back used to the meds. Hope you are experiencing less side effects in general without adding more meds, but wanted to suggest it.

Comment

Working...
        X