Vitamin D Article Trying to Bring Balance to the Debate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vitamin D Article Trying to Bring Balance to the Debate

In the popular press, vitamin D is hyped as a panacea for everything from overall health and well-being to protecting the brain from disease. With nearly 3,000 articles in the medical literature, it's also a compelling research topic.

Amid the hype, however, experts such as David S. Knopman, MD, FAAN, a professor of neurology at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, MN, caution that the rush to embrace vitamin D has outpaced available evidence, especially regarding the vitamin's role in neurologic conditions.To find the middle ground, we spoke to researchers about what the evidence says about vitamin D and brain health—and how much vitamin D is enough.

http://journals.lww.com/neurologynow/Fulltext/2016/12020/Vitamin_D_Download__Long_known_for_promoting_bone. 21.aspx

It is good to note that Vitamin D is a fat soluble vitamin, so is able to build up in the body. It needs to be taken with knowledge of how much YOU (as an individual) need. Your Dr can monitor your levels with a simple blood test. PLEASE TALK to your physician before and DURING self administration of Vitamin D.
    Peace to all,
    LM
    RRMS 11/11/2005, SPMS 20011 (guess I 'graduated')

Comment

Although I wish it were so easy, I don't believe Vitamin D is the end-all-be-all for those of us with MS.

While I do think maintaining an appropriate level is worthwhile for everyone I also have to wonder that if everyone's level is deficient, which seems to be very common, perhaps the recommended lab levels aren't accurate.
      He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
      Anonymous

Comment

Working...
      X