Depressed but optimistic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Depressed but optimistic

Hello, all! My name is Kathryn and I am a 49 yo RN of 19 yrs. I am going through the process of diagnosis, serum biomarker positive, symptomatic and awaiting an MRI tomorrow to find out how much damage is done. I have been diagnosed with two handfuls of medical issues and then some throughout my adulthood, none of which were an 'answer' and always ended up back in the psychiatrist office.

I am livid with our health care system and the lack of interest in doctors to keep looking until they get a proper diagnosis. I am VERY fortunate to finally have the answer, as if this went on another 10 yrs, I might be in a wheelchair.

In january of 2015, I had a seizure where I lost consciousness and ended up with an injury. The next day I was in the doctors office and was referred for an EEG. The day after that, I had another episode on the job, held onto consciousness, and was 'let go' the following day. Now unemployed and unemployable, immediately applied for SSDI.... now pending an answer after an appeal hearing.. still waiting after 16 months. I thought, finally, I have epilepsy, that would explain a lot... Absent seizures.

Then my long journey to diagnosis ultimately thru Cleveland Clinic. After a 7 day monitored hospital stay, these 'experts' determined I had psychogenic non-epileptic seizure disorder... NEVER an MRI, which would have clued them in to MS. They said it was all stress and I needed to learn to manage it better and I needed a psychiatrist... again. Back to the drawing board!! I have always known there was something wrong and felt it was coming from my brain, but NOT psych, organic.

Not willing to settle for 'this is a psych issue', I decided to see a holistic practitioner, who actually LISTENED to me and my story. She made a plan of care, but unfortunately I was unable to follow thru with everything until I got my income tax return. One test was a red cell biomarker test ran thru Jonhs-Hopkins and took a month to result. Low and behold, every marker for MS!!

I have had profound fatigue for as long as I can remember... too much stress... Migraine headaches... too much stress... muscle aches and pains... fibromyalgia... psych.... hypochondriac... just wanting attention... memory problems... too much stress... seizures... too much stress... all test negative.

Then, about three weeks ago, I was out in the Florida heat doing yard work. The next day I woke up and could barely walk, every joint in my body hurt and everything puffy. I thought I just overdid it. Three days later went to ER after I started getting bone pain as well. -- all tests negative... go see a rheumatologist. Went to primary and ordered lupus/RA work-up... negative. Then came the special blood test trhu the holistic practitioner, showed the primary, who FINALLY orders an MRI.

Meanwhile, still have the pain, difficulty walking, and debilitating fatigue... was refused pain meds, given cymbalta and mobic. Cymbalta helped with the pins and needles in my feet, but the bone pain remains. I just don't understand why docs won't help with the pain... vicious cycle... the pain increases the fatigue and my quality of life is in the toilet... Someone who rarely sat home, athletic and active, now it is all I can do to get to the couch. I just want some semblance of my life back. At least I'm on the right path, finally.

Hi Kathyrn,

Im sorry your journey has been so difficult. It's frustrating when no one gives you answers or feels like they're not being supportive. Sounds like you had to jump thru a lot of hoops! Hope there's a Doctor that's taking good care of you now.

I totally understand your frustration with going from an active person to someone who can barely get off the couch. That's me now. Just existing feels exhausting. Im glad you feel you're on the right path now and hope all the best for you.
    DX 2005 RRMS. Did 2nd round of Lemtrada Jan 2018. DX SPMS 2019

Comment

Sounds all too familiar

So sad to hear about your difficult journey through the MS maze.

I totally understand going from being an active functioning adult to a fatigued, pained person who can be overwhelmed by almost anything.

I guess optimism keeps me going as I always keep trying and know you will too. I was an RN also. (a late start to the profession) My career was cut short by the disease but I am glad I had the opportunity to learn so much about MS.

My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Comment

Thanks!To

Thank you for the replies. To add insult to jury is our wonderful SSDI process. For someone who paid the bills before they hit the mailbox, no cc debt, a little in an IRA, 3 months worth of bills saved, and only thing financed is my house.... To 6 months behind on mortgage, maxed cc, no savings left at all, selling personal items, and begging friends and family for help.

Tapped out out and on the verge of homelessness because of the time it has taken to go thru the process of applying for SSDI. It really hurts my heart that I know so many are in the same boat. Especially for those who have dedicated their lives to helping other and then when we need help because of an illness, we are no longer useful. That is how I feel... worthless and disposable.

Comment

Hello Bchkat

I decided to see a holistic practitioner, who actually LISTENED to me and my story. She made a plan of care, but unfortunately I was unable to follow thru with everything until I got my income tax return. One test was a red cell biomarker test ran thru Jonhs-Hopkins and took a month to result. Low and behold, every marker for MS!!
          There is no blood test, currently, that that is a bio-marker for MS. Blood work is used to rule in/out other conditions but not for MS. There are many of us who would love to have such an easy way to diagnose this disease or even indicate MS as a possibility, but there isn't.

There is a diagnostic criteria for Multiple Sclerosis, The Revised McDonald Criteria. Blood tests is not part of the diagnostic criteria because as I stated previously, there is no blood test for MS. Part of the diagnostic criteria is to rule out other possible causes for a person's symptoms.

Then came the special blood test trhu the holistic practitioner, showed the primary, who FINALLY orders an MRI.
          Best wishes on your MRI.
          Diagnosed 1984
          “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Hang in there for the SSDI

Originally posted by Bchkat View Post
            Thank you for the replies. To add insult to jury is our wonderful SSDI process. For someone who paid the bills before they hit the mailbox, no cc debt, a little in an IRA, 3 months worth of bills saved, and only thing financed is my house.... To 6 months behind on mortgage, maxed cc, no savings left at all, selling personal items, and begging friends and family for help.

Tapped out out and on the verge of homelessness because of the time it has taken to go thru the process of applying for SSDI. It really hurts my heart that I know so many are in the same boat. Especially for those who have dedicated their lives to helping other and then when we need help because of an illness, we are no longer useful. That is how I feel... worthless and disposable.
            I've had MS for over 30 years now, three grown children, three grandchildren… Guess I'm old… 57 years anyway it took me three tries and going to court before I got my SSDI so don't give up! What helped the most (besides my faith) was going to MS support groups especially in those early years to get encouragement, tips and laughter. Never never never give up this is the first time I've gone to this website and posted but this can be your support group if you're too tired to go out. My husband is my full-time caregiver because I am now quadriplegic.

If Someone told me 30 years ago when I was very athletic that I would be in the state I would want to end it all but it is way way better than when I first began. Don't get me wrong I get depressed frustrated and overwhelmed but then along comes a cute grandbaby or butterfly or even a good show on TV. Don't give up keep on posting there are a lot of people out there that knows exactly what you're going through and are sending up prayers or good thoughts and here are a few positive words as well :-) Dorothy

Comment

Ty, Dorothy... it is difficult going 100 m/hr to a screeching halt. Extremely depressing and every time I turn around I'm fighting the medical and governmental beauracracies with what little energy and resources I have.

Snoopy... the blood test I had run was called a Red Cell Lipid Profile, very expensive $500 ran by Johns-Hopkins University, and there are three specific markers for demyelination included, with a slue of other information. I have all three of these markers. True, it is not diagnostic, but highly indicative of MS and along with my symptoms, it is a pretty sure thing. The MRI is pretty much to determine how much damage has been done. This was the explanation given to me.

When I went in for the MRI, the nurse said, "how long have you had those tremors?".... "What tremors," I said, "I don't have tremors". She went on to describe what she had noticed. I was shocked that no-one else, esp me had noticed. She explained she noticed that with fine motor movement, my fingers would shake... As I put the key in the belonging locker and again as I put my hair behind my ear. I was stunned... just another symptom.

Comment

Working...
              X