Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anyone had a good experience with Plegridy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has anyone had a good experience with Plegridy?

I was taking Tecfidera and had to stop because of stomach problems.
    Went to my new neuro last week and he wants me to start Plegridy as soon as insurance approves it.
    All these MS meds scare me to be honest. I've done pretty good not being on meds for the last year.
    I HATE shots!! And I'm not looking forward to having flu like symptoms because I've got 2 kids, and my husband was just diagnosed with a rare brain tumor called a colloid cyst. So, I can't afford to be down too long.
    My neuro said this might help with the fatigue, he seems to think that me being off meds makes it worse. I disagree but will give it a try.
    So, has anyone had any good experiences with this med? Or mild side effects?
    I want to know about any bad side effects also, mild or major. Thanks!!

I was also on tecfidera but had to stop because of stomach issues.
    I have taken 3 doses of Plegridy. My doctor had me get 2 starter kits so I have done 2 at the lowest dose and 1 a the medium dose.
    I chose to do them on Saturday morning. I felt fine the rest of Saturday. Sunday and Monday I had sore muscles but not much more than that.
    So, overall my experience has been very good.
    The injection did not hurt at all. The needle is so small.

Kylie

Comment

I'm about 2.5 months in

Hi,

Plegridy is my first DMD. I started with the lower doses in early February and will take my 3rd full dose on Friday night.

The first shot was really rough on me. I will say, though, that each one has gotten progressively easier. My biggest side effects are extreme body aches, chills, fatigue, and nausea. I am managing the aches and pains pretty well with Aleve (every 10 hours starting 4 or so hours before I inject) and lots of water plus extra rest. The needle really doesn't hurt to me.

I also have 2 kids and work full time outside of the house. Plus my husband has been traveling a lot for work. So I understand the "I don't have time for this" feeling. However, I think you should be prepared to give it some time. If may take 3-4 months before you fully adjust.

Just my $0.02. Good luck with your decision!

Cheryl
      Cranial VIth Nerve Palsy (2008, 2014); Partial Myelitis (9/2015); RRMS Dx (11/18/2015); Plegridy (2/2016)

Comment

I have been on Plegridy for over a year now. Prior to that I was on Rebif, and originally I was on Copaxone.

I Have been tolerating the Plegridy very well. I do not know if that is because I was on Rebif prior so my body was used to this interferon.

I do do not experience the body aches, fever and chills like I did on the Rebif. My only issue is that it gives me a terrible headache. We have been managing it with prescription strength Aleve every 12 hours, starting 1 hour prior to injection and for 2 days after. This does work as long as I remember to take it.

For the injection itself, I really do not find it painful at all. I thought both Rebif and Copaxone were more uncomfortable. I do notice that I end up with a fairly large reddened area at my injection site. It doesn't hurt or anything, it just doesn't look pretty. It seems to last a few weeks. But if it is keeping me healthy I am OK with the red blotches. Unfortunate because of the Copaxone I have a lot of lipoatrophy and can only inject into my legs. I have no other areas available any longer.

I wish you luck!
        Wendy

Comment

What is your OTC Plegridy regime?

Originally posted by ky2435 View Post
          I have taken 3 doses of Plegridy. My doctor had me get 2 starter kits so I have done 2 at the lowest dose and 1 a the medium dose.
          I chose to do them on Saturday morning. I felt fine the rest of Saturday. Sunday and Monday I had sore muscles but not much more than that.

Kylie
          HI I see you have been on Plegridy now for a while, I'm trying to get down an OTC regime before I start, and aleve doesn't work for me for even regular headaches. I was thinking of two ibuprofen about an hour before the shot, and then two acetaminophen after the shot and every four to six hours for the next 24 hours post the shot. Do you have a regime you can share?

Comment

I do not take anything. I have had very little side effects. Just sore muscles for a couple days afterwards. Good luck to you!

Comment

Some notes on my situation.
              In January 2015 I went to the doctor, loss of strength in my right leg and hand, pins and needles feelings while taking a shower. These symptoms luckily cleared up after 2 weeks.
              After a number of tests in May 2015 I was diagnosed with MS.
              October 2015 started to use Plegridy.

I hate needles, however it is actually quite easy to use.
              Alternatively every 2 weeks left and right legs, front and back on the upper thigh.
              Keep plegridy in the fridge, removing 30 minutes before use.
              Cool where I inject for 10-20 seconds with ice.
              Cool after injection for another 10-20 seconds with ice.
              Sometimes it pricks and I see some blood. Just a little.
              Administer Tuesday mornings at 8am, try to move during the day, if later (5-6 hours) in the day I get a headache, take a slow release pain killer. Gets me through the rest of the day.
              About 1 week later the leg can get rather itchy and red. A little uncomfortable but not that bad.
              I do notice the times when it is red and itchy generally feel tired.

Comment

Originally posted by ky2435 View Post

Kylie
                Thanks for this post- you're the second one I've heard say the needle is super small 💉😃. I'll be switching in the next few months to Plegridy.
                I've been on Copaxone for nine plus years and soooo happy with it because zero side effects, I mean zilch! And that needle is a small subq one too a evidently Plegridy is even smaller so yay.

But I need to switch because all of a sudden I have numerous, new active lesions- not fun. I've been getting annual MRI's and although relapses over the years, the scans showed none to little new growth til now. Our bodies change and so does this disease progression, so time for a new sheriff in town.

I'm happy for this thread because like any DMT, there are negative experiences from people and since we are all different, I do want to hear the positive also. Then I'll have a report soon enough too.
                Blessings to all 🎗🎗🎗
                There is always a rainbow!

Comment

I have been on Plegridy for a year. The first 8 months I had terrible side effects like chills, muscle pain, insomnia etc. These would last for up to 72 hours after injecting. Post that first few months though I have no side effects at all. Never need to take a Combiflam or Advil (used to take 4 or 5 earlier) and totally comfortable after the injection. Your body gets used to it which is what makes it such a great drug.

Comment

Front and back of upper thigh injections?

I am on plegridy for the past 2 years. I have injected in the hip but have never known anyone to inject in the back of the upper thigh. Is it similar to the front of the thigh? Just curious. I hate needles and I do better if I am not looking when I get my shot. My husband thankfully has done my shots for me since 2003 when I was diagnosed.

Comment

No side effects

I was just dx in summer of 2017. Was planning on Rebif or Copaxone. My neuro said he would take Plegridy if insurance covered it for the ease of every 2 week subcutaneous injections.

I researched it and it sounded great to me. I wanted an injection that I could take less frequently and live life without thinking about MS.

My routine is every other Friday night. Do some exercise, bring syringe to room temp, take 2 Advil and 2 Tylenol PM. Then either myself or my 12 yo or 9 yo daughter give the shot and I go to bed. It's a good learning experience for them. I'm still waiting for my 7 yo to give it.

I have had no side effects other than a little redness at injection site for a week. No itching or pain. I feel normal the next day.

I know everyone of us is different, just wanted to give my good experience. Time will tell if it prevents relapses for me.

Comment

Working...
                      X