going in to have operation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

going in to have operation

Hi Guys Im due to have my right clavicle operated on shortly but the surgeon is a bit worried about infection because I'm on tysabri, he stated he just doesn't know enough about it or how it affects my immune system, I can understand this as hospitals are the bugs breeding grounds, I talked this over with my neurologist and he said this won't be a problem. Does anyone have any thoughts on this I'm using my arms a lot now my leg is causing me some grief so I really need this fixed Craig

Good luck with your operation. I am surprised that there is no communication between your doctors! Aren't you ? Does your neurologist know your surgeon?

Comment

Hi Craig,

Sorry to hear you need to have surgery. I'm not a doctor and I don't play one on TV. However, since your neurologist gave you and/or the surgeon clearance for the procedure, it *should* be good to go. I guess I think the most important thing is whether or not YOU are comfortable getting the procedure done and accepting the risk no matter how small. If this is something I needed to function or to function better, personally I would go forward with it. But, that's just me.

That said, sending positive vibes your way!

Comment

Two different DR's talking to each other, now wouldn't that make things easier, I will suggest this at my next app. I need to have this done so will go ahead with app thanks for your messages Craig

Comment

Good luck, dastardly.

My neurologist once told me that I shouldn't need to worry about surgeries or other medical treatment and that Tysabri mainly affects immunity in the brain and in the digestive system. It was a casual comment made when I asked if there was any reason I couldn't do something like LASIK someday, not a specific question about a specific type of surgery.

Definitely have your hand doc consult with your neurologist. Frankly, that should have been his plan all along. That understanding and knowledge is on HIM, not on you.

Comment

Having Surgerya

Since my MS diagnosis I have had surgery on my right shoulder and right knee as well as several surgeries as a result of breast cancer. The neurologist had no real concerns about the surgeries as they related to my immune system. He did speak to the orthopedic surgeon and the general surgeon just to let them know I was also under his care. The single most important physician to inform of your MS diagnosis is the anesthesiologist. Some people with MS have airway problems and it is up to the anesthesiologist to maintain the airway. In my experience, the anesthesiologist has called me the night before the surgery to get some basic info and that is when I let him know about my MS. If you don't hear from him the night before then you certainly will prior to the surgery in Pre-Surgical Admitting.

Most importantly, relax and don't make yourself crazy over this. Although I realize everyone reacts differently, I never had any issues during or after surgery due to MS. You can do it.

Comment

Hi everyone good point jessiesmom about talking to anesthesiologist before operation, I have had quiet a few operations since my MS I was more worried about the Tysabri shutting off my immune system and after charmagique's message I remember my neurologist saying something about how TY only shuts immune system off in the brain, dam this "brain fog" see my neurologist for an hour and it takes 3 months to remember what he said thanks guys Craig

Comment

Don't be so hard on yourself. There is a lot to keep track of! And if a non-neuro doc felt nervous about performing an operation on me, it would make me temporarily confused and nervous myself. Totally normal on your part.

Comment

but I wanted to wish you , but I wanted to wish you the best! Please keep us up to date! from what your doctor said, you'll have nothing in your way.
                  hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
                  volunteer
                  MS World
                  hunterd@msworld.org
                  PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

Working...
                  X