X-PostTherapeutic Riding for MS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

X-PostTherapeutic Riding for MS

I'm assembling my arsenal with which to stave off MS and have added therapeutic riding to it. I'm so excited. The technical term for horse therapist is hippotherapy and you can't believe how many barns are now offering this. Here's a clip from one:

MS: Equine Assisted Activities and Therapies: This program consists of a 7 week session of small group mounted and unmounted activities. The natural movement of the horse has been proven to simulate the human walking gait, while stimulating neurons. It can also lead to improvements in body awareness, balance, coordination and muscle control.

Thoughts? Experiences?

Many thanks!

I think hippotherapy is the greatest therapy for MS and other conditions!! I envy you having a place near you to ride a horse. I don't have that where I live.

I owned a horse prior to my diagnosis and she was great therapy for me as I went through a divorce. Unfortunately, all her care (mucking stall, feeding, grooming, etc.) became too much for me and I had to sell her. Just didn't know at the time, MS was the reason it became too much. I miss her and riding so much!

I hope more hippotherapy clinics open up all over and more people will try it! Sorry for rambling and hope you stay with it!

Wishing you the best,
    Marilyn
    Marilyn

Comment

Hippotherapy for MS

I have been doing hippotherapy/therapeutic riding for years, and I love it! For the first four years or so I was learning hippotherapy. I got pretty good at it, and now I am learning therapeutic riding. I have a lesson once a week, one on one with an instructor and Chrissy, an amazingly patient, wise and experienced mare.

I have always loved horses and this is a dream come true. Not only do I take lessons, but I volunteer there once a week. Most important, I realize how very lucky I am, and I count my lucky stars. There aren't a lot of lucky stars when you have MS, but I am grateful for what I do have to be grateful for.

Go for it if you can -

Comment

Hippatherapy

I had a wee chuckle when I read 'hippotherapy'.

I've got two horses of my own and just live for the time I can spend with them. Both are ex racehorses so can be quite a handful at times.

Weather permitting, I ride at least four times a week and have noticed a dramatic improvement in my balance since I've been riding so much. I also have a one on one lesson once per week and hope to compete in dressage next season, if my health permits. I usually hit the wall big time in the spring so am trying to do as much before then as I can so whatever happens is merely a speed bump rather than a life changing event.

Our four legged friends are the greatest therapy a woman (or man) could have.

Comment

My hippotherapists

Shes Outta Redbuck and BF Audrey are great therapists in that I can decide what level I feel like riding. Aggie (Audrey) is my steady girl and Sister is my challenge. I know that they are great for both my MS symptoms and depression.

I hope that everyone that tries hippotherapy will get the great benefits that horses can have on your health.

KC
          All sunsets are beautiful, but the most amazing sunsets have a few clouds.

Comment

Working...
          X