X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spasticity versus spasms

I have both.

i am used to the tightness and it is a part of my "current normal."

The spasms are difficult. I have a Charlie Horse movement, thankfully without extreme pain, every 20 seconds that can go on for hours. These spasms can wake me from sleep and disrupt my night.

Most often the spasms begin in the evening hours or when reading in bed before attempting to sleep.

i take baclofen and smoke pot.

Does anyone have suggestions for me? Another medication or routine? Stretching does not help and the leg muscles fatigue from exercise to the point where I cannot crawl into bed after stretching.

Oh my goodness! I have Both!! Spasticity in my calf muscles and muscles around my knee often and at other times most of my leg, especially on the right side.

I also get charlie horse spasms that are so painful! In fact, twice I went to the emergency room. I never knew that a spasm could hurt so bad. I have a high pain tolerance and had natural childbirth (at least I knew I was getting a baby out of that) these spasms were so bad, I thought that something major and pretty damaging was going on.

I take baclofen, Keppre, and just started flexirel (sp)

I hope that someone has found that perfect combination to help us get this under control. Good luck!

Comment

Hi Aarcyn,
      Hi have mostly spasticity but do occasionally cramp like spasms that are very painful . Mostly in feet legs n back. I have tried some different meds to control these but have narrowed it down to a combo of valium and polaramine this helps me sleep and relaxes some of the tightness too. Mine isn't severe enough yet to warrant something like a baclofen pump etc. Though i'm not sure this would suit me anyway as my main prob with oral baclofen was the increased tiredness.

I have found that fatigue is my main cause of exacerbation so if i get a good sleep it keeps things manageable.

Another thing i have found beneficial is localised heat treatment.

Body heat especially around the head and spine usually makes me feel worse in general- as with most ms patients, however i find a hot pack applied to my calf or thigh muscle for example helps the muscle relax. My chiropractor/masseuse has been using heat in this way for quite a while now because he just can't get the muscles to soften without it. It took me a bit to convince him (he kept recommending cold packs)but now he's converted- with me at least. It lessens the pain of a massage a lot too.

Comment

Hi Aarcyn,

As far as I know muscle spasms are within the category of spasticity.

Have you tried Massage Therapy? I had been in PT and they also did massage therapy --- massage therapy helped so much. I was shown how to alleviate spasms and stiffness by using a tennis ball and rolling pin.
        Diagnosed 1984
        “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Originally posted by SNOOPY View Post
          Hi Aarcyn,

As far as I know muscle spasms are within the category of spasticity.

Have you tried Massage Therapy? I had been in PT and they also did massage therapy --- massage therapy helped so much. I was shown how to alleviate spasms and stiffness by using a tennis ball and rolling pin.
          I agree with massaging the tight muscle, if you are able.

Recently I had a very painful (almost to the point of panic) muscle spasm on the front thigh muscle. I sort of "kneaded" the area (yep, like bread dough) for a few minutes, and the spasm subsided, thank goodness.

I then followed with gentle stretches of my leg as best as I could to further relax it. It never came back.

Take Care
          PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
          ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Thank you for the sympathy, empathy and suggestions. I will try a few of them.

how I would love a massage! My daughter has tried to still the spasms with massage, she took massage therapy before deciding she likes to receive them and not give them (!). My spasms actually go into overdrive rather than calm down.

i will speak with my neurologist about trying something other than Baclefen.

spasms were so persistent last night that I had to also take Aleve for pain that woke me at 3am.

Comment

Aarcyn

Apart from the MS being a cause of muscle spasms, statin medications can sometimes cause them too.

Also, a deficiency of magnesium or potassium can contribute to them.

In any case, good luck and hope you find relief soon!

Take care
              PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
              ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Hi,
                Yeah your phrase about going into over drive was also my experience till i worked out the knack of massaging correctly for spasticity. A bad massage can increase tightness and especially intensify pain and sensitivity.

It can be difficult to find someone with this skill.
                I have found the slowly increasing the pressure or squeeze applied to a knotted muscle in combo with heat pack the best option for me.

You could test this for yourself by identifying a spasmed muscle and placing an object reasonably weighty and heated across this muscle for a period ( until it begins to soften).
                Sometimes i use the weight of my own leg over a heat pad , over the foot of my bed to ease the back of my thigh.

All the best

Comment

Originally posted by Aarcyn View Post
                  I have both.

i am used to the tightness and it is a part of my "current normal."

The spasms are difficult. I have a Charlie Horse movement, thankfully without extreme pain, every 20 seconds that can go on for hours. These spasms can wake me from sleep and disrupt my night.

Most often the spasms begin in the evening hours or when reading in bed before attempting to sleep.

i take baclofen and smoke pot.

Does anyone have suggestions for me? Another medication or routine? Stretching does not help and the leg muscles fatigue from exercise to the point where I cannot crawl into bed after stretching.
                  We are all so different, but I have found that a deep muscle relief essential oil helps relieve the pain from charlie horses as well as some arthritic pain. I just apply a small amount of oil to the affected area and receive relief within 5 minutes. Good Luck!

Comment

Working...
                  X