EARLIEST SIGN

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EARLIEST SIGN

I've been asked a question I can't answer/remember. I've been asked what my early signs before being diagnosed were. The only neuroligical 'problem' I remember was always being sleepy and having to pull over to take a nap when driving which was frequent. I can't count how often I would have to watch movies repeatedly before I saw the whole show. I also had trouble remembering names of people/things which has gotten worse with age. What were some early signs for others? I personally tend to purposely forget negative experiences and move on. Any help would be appreciated.

My first sign: on a walk on a really hot day was a left leg limp which never happened before. This then started my journey to find out why as it became more frequent which ended up as a dx of MS.

Noticed this is in the Military Veterans forum - I'm not but thought I'd answer this general question. Found it under NEW POSTS.

Comment

Same Story

Originally posted by pb909 View Post
      My first sign: on a walk on a really hot day was a left leg limp which never happened before. This then started my journey to find out why as it became more frequent which ended up as a dx of MS.

Noticed this is in the Military Veterans forum - I'm not but thought I'd answer this general question. Found it under NEW POSTS.
      I similarly progressed. I'm attempting to relate my MS to my Army inoculation Trial 7 back in '69 which I'm finding others from Phoenix with the same stories! Oh well, onward and hopefully upward.

Comment

In the months following prep for sea/foreign duty, I started having several issues. I had a bout of pancreatitis, reverse slope hearing loss (Meniere's), falling down almost weekly and double double vision, (had horizontal plus vertical aspect). I was transferred to IMA, Intermediate Maint Avionics), where it was always A/C clean, quiet, & no climbing. Actually there was a documented MS Sx (recognized by NIH as such) about 1/2 yr before. in my STR (Navy med rec). That was my magic bullet to get SC'd for my MS. The law as passed by congress, is, IF, you had a documented MS Sx while on active duty, you ARE Sc'd.

I went into my hearing (in-person) at the DRO armed with a copy of the law, from the congressional record, NIH documentation of my documented Sx, a copy of my Navy Med-Rec (STR) and the RRMS was actually diagnosed by the same VA that sent me to their SHRINKS for complaining too much, something else was wrong. I battled for DECADES before a non-VA doc picked up on the vision RED FLAG for (ALS, MS etc) CNS issue.

When you are done fighting FOR your country, you may spend the rest of your life fighting your country. That's just the way it has been for me.

Comment

About 18 months after discharge I noticed I was tired a lot, not regular tired, MS tired. I was falling asleep at movies and on the sofa at relatives houses' during the holidays. I continued to push through until other symptoms manifested before I went to the ER. Had no idea the tiredness was my new buddy introducing itself to me until after I learned more about it.
          The future depends on what you do today.- Gandhi

Comment

Working...
          X