Unsure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unsure

Hello, my name is Angeles and I live in Chicago IL. I'm 20 years old and I haven't been diagnosed with MS but I've been seeing my neurologist for about 1 year. I had to go see him cause I was experiencing dizziness with slurred speech. My first MRI of my brain showed lesions. He said it could be possible MS. He wanted to see 6 months later to get another MRI of my brain, he did and it was the same. No new changes.

After that a couple of months later I went to the ER for numbness (pins and needles) with trouble speaking as well. I had another MRI of my cervical spine and brain. Nothing came back that wasn't there before. I followed up with him and he told me to come back in a year for another MRI that appointment will be in December.

Recently though I been experiencing pins and needles on both my feet it goes all the way to my knee. It's like a numbness. I called and if he said if it wasn't gone in a week or two to schedule a MRI of my thoracic spine. It hasn't gone away and I'm really considering getting the scan done. I just have a question of what that will let us know?

My previews medical history is awful. I got really sick 3 years ago and I saw so many doctors. infectious, hematologist, rheumatologist, endocrinologist not in that order but still that's a lot of doctors and a lot of tests they ran, expensive tests.. I'm a 20 year and I'm so much in debt due to my medical issues. After every doctor passing me along to doctor after doctor they just said to see my primary. They couldn't tell me why my white cell count was so elevated. My primary doctor said I evolved this way. I accepted that. Now I'm dealing with this.

I have no one to ask about MS. I would like anyone's input on how they were diagnosed with MS, what symptoms they have etc. Anything to help me. Please. Thanks

** Moderator's note - Post broken into paragraphs for easier reading. Many people with MS have visual difficulties that prevent them from reading large blocks of print.**

Hi Angeles, and welcome to MS world! Everyone's MS is different, so everyone will have a different story. MS commonly causes parasthesias (numbness and tingling) that you feel in your legs. It also causes weakness which can be seen in slurred speech.

Just because you have the parasthesias doesn't mean your MRI has changed. I would skip it and wait for the year one unless you feel weakness anywhere then call your neurologist immediately as you may have a change in your MRI.

I will say this about slurred speech, it often comes from a brainstem lesion, and they can be tiny and hide in between MRI slices.

If you have lesions you may want to ask for a lumbar puncture to determine if you have o-banding. This is supportive of an MS diagnosis, but you can have no bands and still have MS.

Good luck and hang around, there is an entire place for you in limbo landers, but you don't have to box yourself in, you can hang out anywhere.

Take care
    Lisa
    Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
    SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
    Tysabri

Comment

Working...
    X