Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Next phase of stem cell trials at Tisch?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Next phase of stem cell trials at Tisch?

So, now that the FDA has recommended that Tisch MS Center should proceed with another 'phase' of the MSC-NP trials, is there anyone on this board that is interested in this ? Other than me?

I have sent them an email and they have replied, but that was a few months ago, and that is the last that I heard from them. I have not even been able to dig up anything that I did not already know. That is all I can tell you, sorry.
    hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
    volunteer
    MS World
    hunterd@msworld.org
    PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

Thanks for the response, hunterd ! I would think that you would crawl on your hands and knees from your home to get to the MS Center at Tisch! I would ! The Tisch MSRC is on the same city block as CBS network headquarters and I have been there many times in my pre-MS life. I hope that they open up the next trial to all of us PPMSer's. Good luck

Comment

Some info about Tisch stem cell trial phase 2

I called Tisch MSRC, yesterday. The automated answering message said that Tisch is still trying to fund the trial and that there will be 40 participants in the trial. The patient pool will be taken from the rolls of the IMSMP at Tisch. So it seems that there is no intention to include anyone from the general PPMS population !

Comment

Jerry below is some info. Note at the bottom they say Phase II is planning a multi centre trial. Also if you do a search on you tube there is an interview with one of the doctors talking about the Phase I trial.

Report on Tisch Centre stem cell trial from Neurology Advisor

Stem cell-derived therapy ‘shows promise’ in progressive MS (20/04/16)
          Intrathecal administration of autologous mesenchymal stem cell-derived neural progenitors (MSC-NPs) was safe and well tolerated as a regenerative multiple sclerosis (MS) therapy, concluded a first-of-its-kind study presented at the 2016 annual meeting of the American Academy of Neurology (AAN).

“In addition, the majority of patients showed improvement in their Expanded Disability Status Scale (EDSS) score, a well-recognized scale that measures disability,” said Saud A. Sadiq, MD, study investigator with the Tisch MS Research Center, New York.

“The majority of patients with bladder dysfunction also noted improvement, both symptomatically and based on urodynamic testing.”

Dr Sadiq explained in an interview with Neurology Advisor that the catalyst for the study was the current lack of a treatment to reverse disability in disabled patients with progressive MS.

“Multiple intrathecal dosing of neural progenitors in an animal model reversed clinical disability,” he said.

“We therefore wanted to establish the safety and tolerability of our approach in the phase 1 trial. Although the trial was not designed to determine efficacy, we measured a number of disability determinants.”

For the study, Dr Sadiq and colleagues administered autologous MSC-NPs, an autologous bone marrow-derived population with regenerative potential, in three doses (spaced three months apart) of up to 10 million cells per injection.

Researchers enrolled 20 patients with MS who met the following criteria: established disability (range, 3.5-8.5); relatively stable disease as demonstrated by less than one-point change in EDSS score in the last year; and stable magnetic resonance imaging disease burden with no enhancing lesions in the previous 6 months.

Adverse event assessments served as the primary safety outcome measure, while EDSS score, timed 25-foot walk, peg test, paced auditory serial addition test, evoked potentials, and urodynamics testing served as secondary efficacy end points.

All 20 patients received intrathecal MSC-NPs, and 13 patients received all three doses and underwent three-month follow-up.

Overall, no patients experienced serious adverse events. Minor adverse events were reported, however, including approximately 65 per cent of patients who experienced transient headache and/or fever.

Following treatment, a subset of patients demonstrated neurologic improvement, including improved EDSS scores and peg tests, as well as better bladder function clinically and on urodynamic assessment.

“Our conclusion thus far is that multiple [intrathecal] dosing of neural progenitors is safe, well tolerated, and appears to be efficacious in reducing disability with progressive MS,” Dr Sadiq said. “The strong efficacy signal is somewhat unexpected and warrants a double-blind study to be performed.”
          Specifically, he said there is a need for well-controlled double-blind studies using autologous stem cells to determine if long-standing disability can be reversed in MS and related neurologic diseases.

“The Tisch Center is currently planning a multicenter, phase two, double-blind trial to determine the efficacy of intrathecal neural progenitor therapy to reverse disability in patients with MS,” Dr Sadiq said. “We hope to commence this trial in the later part of 2016.”

Source: Neurology Advisor Copyright © 2016 Haymarket Media, Inc (20/04/16)

Comment

Thanks AMJ. I have been seriously following the progress of this therapy and I appreciate your input. I have read that the other clinic that will be involved in this trial is Weill-Cornell Medical Center in NYC . I am really hoping that this turns into some relief for all of us progressive MSers !

Comment

I called the Tisch MSRC, today, and the outgoing message said that the phase 2 trial will be populated by patients of the IMSMP, which is the practice attached to the Tisch MS center. They will be enrolling 40 patients. They are trying to find funding for the trial ! It sounds as if they are not interested in getting patients from the general MS community. I guess I will wait for the chance to participate !

Comment

Originally posted by JerryD View Post
                I called the Tisch MSRC, today, and the outgoing message said that the phase 2 trial will be populated by patients of the IMSMP, which is the practice attached to the Tisch MS center. They will be enrolling 40 patients. They are trying to find funding for the trial ! It sounds as if they are not interested in getting patients from the general MS community. I guess I will wait for the chance to participate !
                Thanks for the info, Jerry.

Patience is a virtue I guess (that's what I've heard.)

Hope you're feeling better and improving!

Take Care
                PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
                ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Thanks for responding, KoKo ! Yes, I am clawing my way to improvement. I am in the rehab hospital and expect to be released by Wednesday. Thanks again ! Good luck

Comment

Working...
                  X