Vitamix v. Regular Blender

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vitamix v. Regular Blender

I'm working on getting all veggies and fruits via green smoothies. My Waring blender just can't get the fruits to puree well so I get lumpy smoothies. A friend has recommended a Vitamix but MAN they are expensive? Thoughts? Thanks so much.

Hi thisiswater,

My Waring blender just can't get the fruits to puree well so I get lumpy smoothies.
    What Waring Blender do you have?

I have a Waring Pro Blender, it's very basic (Hi, low, off). It's their Beehive design with a stainless steel base. It purees beautifully --- in my opinion.

I have done fruit smoothies for many years and wore out/broke more blenders than I can remember. The Waring I have has lasted longer than any other blender I have tried.

Having said that, I have never tried a Vitamix or any high end blender.
    Diagnosed 1984
    “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

I have a Kitchen Aid, which is also a high-end blender, and, yes -- also expensive. I requested for Christmas a few years ago, also because I wanted to do green smoothies.

My husband managed to find a refurbished one online somewhere, so it was somewhat more affordable.

I haven't been doing the smoothies regularly for awhile, but I did 2-4x per week, for a lot time. Works very well. I can actually put whole fruits in there -- whole apples, whole oranges with the peel, etc. Of course, for bananas, you take off the peel, and for peaches or whatever, you take out the pits. It blends up the greens really well too; I usually prefer either broccoli (which I also don't peel) or spinach, or kale is my favorite.

I use different combinations of fruits and vegetables, and I usually always add a whole lemon and some flax seed from my health food store. One blender full lasts me more than one meal; and I don't need to add anything else. Is a good breakfast or lunch when no one else is home.
      ~ Faith
      MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
      (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
      - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
      - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
      - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

How to Make Smoothies

In my household we have both a standard blender and a Vitamix blender. My husband swears by the Vitamix but I fail to see how it is worth its price. If you already own a food processor then that may be a good alternative for you. They usually have strong motors and a multitude of blades that will purée fruits and veggies. Happy juicing.

Comment

I have a Vitamix that I bought at Costco about 4 years ago. It's awesome. It did cost about $400.00, but I think it is worth the price. I have a good blender and a real pricey food processor, like the TV chefs have. Nothing compares to the Vitamix. There is a machine made by Blendtec that seems to be a good substitute but I don't know about it first hand. Good luck on your search.

Comment

I bought the vitamix as a birthday present to myself. It is the only blender I´ve found that pulverizing the blueberry skins enough to make them disappear and blueberries are good for the brain. For me, that was the selling point that put me over the edge.

Comment

Hi, went through the same thing, decided on an Omniblend due to noise, performance and price. I bought it for £250 in the uk

A good we site for info

Hope this helps

**URL removed by Moderator in compliance with MSWorld Guidelines. This may be put in your Profile for all registered, logged-in members to see. Go to your Username on black bar running across top of page > My Settings > Edit Profile**
              Last edited by Kimba22; 03-14-2016, 11:37 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X