Itching & burning out of control!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Itching & burning out of control!!!!

Good Morning ~Firstly ...DANGER..if your having a wonderful day~don't read post!!!
    I want to praise every person with MS,we all try everyday to be positive&proactive in our journeys with this condition,and primarily I'm on the train of could be worse,embrace this day

Today not so much...I'm amazed that my stomach can handle the amount of medication I have thrown in to it today for the severe itching & the patches of burning I'm dealing with...I have a lump in my throat that is ready at any moment to be released when I burst into tears out of sheer frustration.Come on really~WHERE IS THE DARN CURE!!!

Geez I would throw a huge pity party for myself today,if not for the hilarious look I'm sporting...a purple washcloth that is half frozen on my head to relieve some & I mean some of the itching...(for whatever reason if I keep my head cool...it relieves the itch?????)

To summarize~I just want to say a huge" YOUR DOING FABULOUS DAHLING!!!" To all who muster the courage,fight the symptoms everyday.....you are all my heroes!!

Candice
    candice

Candice,

Sorry to hear about your itching/burning.

I know you said you are already swallowing a lot of meds, but I thought I would share my experience.

Prior to my MS Dx I had been diagnosed with diabetic neuropathy in my leg. So I have been taking gabapentin for a couple of years due to the paresthesia in my leg. It didn't help my numbness at all.

Then last summer I developed paresthesia in my right arm from finger tips to just above the elbow. PCP thought it was more diabetic neuropathy (even though my A1C was well under control).

Along with numbness I got itching that drove me up the wall. Couldn't sleep, couldn't think, wanted to scream. Mind you, I was taking gabapentin before this started. So, on a whim I took a dose of Benadryl (aka diphenhydramine). It stopped the itching for a while, and put me to sleep (diphenhydramine is the sleep aid in Excedrin PM).

First contact with my neuro regarding this symptom garnered a knowing uh-huh when I told her this stopped the itch. Kind of like she expected it even though we were looking for diabetic neuropathy or a pinched nerve at that time.

You may want to give it a try. Worst case is it helps you sleep.

Best wishes
    Bill C

Comment

I also suffer from severe itching to my head, it is onlyto my head. I have tried all kinds of different lotions, witch hazel, and many other remedies, but nothing has seemed to work. I will have to try benadryl. I will report my findings.
      hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
      volunteer
      MS World
      hunterd@msworld.org
      PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

OmG, I thought I was the only one with an itchy tummy. I finally switched to oral meds, just ten days ago. No more injections. My stomach is so red, blotchy, and itchy!

I use vaseoline. I apply it with a cotton round in a thin layer on my tummy. I also find sitting, at home obviously, in a long nightgown with no underwear on. Just to kind of help the stomach area breath without clothing containing it. Ten days after stopping injections, I am still itchy. Oh I also use a anti itch spray. It has a cooling effect.

Comment

Itching/stinging

Years ago and I mean, years ago, I developed and itching and stinging sensation that was not relieved by scratching, rubbing, etc. No anti itch meds worked what so ever, neither topically or oral.

At that time, it was my upper back, chest, and both arms. I had scabs all over from scratching all the skin off, even though it didn't help...I couldn't not scratch.

I used ice packs of some sort, every night (though it wasn't just at night) on those parts of my body, alternating places until numb. The Dr put me on a med, and it actually worked. He said (it would just calm the nervous system down) and it has helped for years.

That is, until recently, for several weeks now it's been both of my arms, left more than right. I'm back to using ice packs off/on throughout the day and night.

I've had a really bad month, and maybe this will ease up soon, I mean it has to right? It can be unbearable and make you crazy, and unless you've experienced what I have and am, no one will ever understand how bad it can be.

Kind of like, yeah it's just itch....ohhhh no it's not.

Comment

Hi TexasBlue:

Have you been back to your doctor to see if an adjustment can be made to your meds? Sometimes a simple adjustment or a change of meds is all it takes to take care of a new problem.

Comment

Originally posted by jreagan70 View Post
              Hi TexasBlue:

Have you been back to your doctor to see if an adjustment can be made to your meds? Sometimes a simple adjustment or a change of meds is all it takes to take care of a new problem.
              I should proably give him a call and get it changed back to 3x day. That's what it was years ago. But kept missing middle dose and asked him to decrease, I did alright with it. Thanks

Comment

Is it MS?

I was dx about a year ago with MS. Burning in my right leg and a family history sent me to the neurologist. However, 18 months prior to that, I scratched both shins beyond recognition. I simply could not stop scratching, even when it started to hurt. My mom has had MS diagnosed for 20+ years and was an RN. I have scars on one leg from this, so I asked her about it. She told me itching isn't a symptom!

It never happened again, so I let it go for awhile. Now, the itching is back and again I find my self scratching without even realizing I am. I also have very dry skin and plenty of history of skin conditions. how do you tell the difference? I have a neuro appt next week, MRIs this week. I will bring it up then but I was curious if anyone had thoughts on whether or not this is my MS or something else.

Comment

A very different itch

Hi Jessica, the itching from MS, is unlike any other typical itch. It is generally bilateral, as in both arms, instead of left arm left leg. It does not go away with scratching, like the occasional mosquito bite, it doesn't respond to topical creams, or oral allergy meds....and it is a miserable stinging itch.

However, it is possible to find a med (usually) through your neurologist, that works with the nervous system itself. This bout was initially only my left arm, but after a few weeks, was both. I've been on my current medication for yearsss, and it is probably time for a change.

Hope that gives you a little insight of the different types of itching. Oh, ice packs, are a life safer. They numb the area, and it kind of confuses the nervous system even more, I think. Even with ice packs, I will still have end up with scabs on my skin from scratching. I try to keep packs close, but not always ideal.

Comment

Thanks!

Last time I had this itching was non stop, both legs, but my right was worse. I had to be careful even in my sleep. So far this time, its been just been my right. I am going to try OTC cream to see if that helps. Thanks again for the info.

Comment

Originally posted by jumangi View Post
                      Candice,

Sorry to hear about your itching/burning.

I know you said you are already swallowing a lot of meds, but I thought I would share my experience.

Prior to my MS Dx I had been diagnosed with diabetic neuropathy in my leg. So I have been taking gabapentin for a couple of years due to the paresthesia in my leg. It didn't help my numbness at all.

Then last summer I developed paresthesia in my right arm from finger tips to just above the elbow. PCP thought it was more diabetic neuropathy (even though my A1C was well under control).

Along with numbness I got itching that drove me up the wall. Couldn't sleep, couldn't think, wanted to scream. Mind you, I was taking gabapentin before this started. So, on a whim I took a dose of Benadryl (aka diphenhydramine). It stopped the itching for a while, and put me to sleep (diphenhydramine is the sleep aid in Excedrin PM).

First contact with my neuro regarding this symptom garnered a knowing uh-huh when I told her this stopped the itch. Kind of like she expected it even though we were looking for diabetic neuropathy or a pinched nerve at that time.

You may want to give it a try. Worst case is it helps you sleep.

Best wishes
                      Bill C
                      Thanks Bill~My computer went down so unable to reply earlier..thanks so much for your support!
                      candice

Comment

Update on mine

Just an update on my itching. I finally went in to see my Neuro, and was excited (sort of lol) to hear that I was on a low dose of what I use to control it. So we just increased what I was already taking and hoping that it will do the trick.

After knowing I could just increase, I was so mad at myself for not going months ago. Pure stubbornness, that's all. I hate change meds, having to be weaned, wondering if it will even work.

I have got to get over some of that geez, it just makes my problems last longer. I hope all on here are itch free.

Best wishes and may God bless

Comment

Working...
                        X