Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

triggers for spasticity

Hi Everyone,
    I have lower extremity spasticity and PLMD (similar to restless leg syndrome. I have been doing very well on Bacolofen 10 mg every morning, 20mg at bedtime and clonazapam 1 mg at bedtime.

Recently I have had a return of painful spasticity, for no apparent reason.

Can anyone tell me what might trigger spasticity?

Thank you!
    Karen

TRIGGERS

Hello KarenNP, spasticity is quite bothersome. I have found exercise helps, if just simple stretches. Also I've found saturated fats intake needs to be lowered. I know it's hard to do without butter, fried foods, cheese to name a few, but minimize.
    Good Luck Feel Better
    marol

Comment

Hi Karen,

From the NMSS -

Spasticity may be aggravated by sudden movements or position changes, extremes of temperature, humidity or infections, and can even be triggered by tight clothing.
      Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

Originally posted by Kimba22 View Post
        Spasticity may be aggravated by sudden movements or position changes, extremes of temperature, humidity or infections, and can even be triggered by tight clothing.
        To add to Kimba's list of spasticity triggers:

Bladder retention, constipation, pain, and pressure sores.

http://www.nationalmssociety.org/For...ent/Spasticity

Take Care
        PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
        ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Ditto to all.
          And would like to add- doing one thing for a period of time.
          ie: something as insignificant as using a computer mouse to over doing walking stretching etc.
          Stretches should only be held for brief times otherwise your just trying to pull against the spastic tightening of the muscle and the attached tendons and fibres.
          Brief stretches combined with pressure or squeezing/compression of the muscles to soften the knot and localised heat applied, helps me more than anything.

If you have been over doing things or if you are having a relapse? Could make it worse.

Comment

spasm trigger

This might add a bit of humor to your day.

My grandson has a conure who like to bite my toes. Whenever the bird does this, and he seems to prefer to bite my right great toe, it puts my right leg into a spasm.

I think it is irritating my reflexes. This bird does it on purpose. He looks me in the eye and then looks at my toe. Although it is annoying, it is rather funny.

A rather unusual trigger.

Comment

Originally posted by Lyndagail View Post

My grandson has a conure who like to bite my toes. Whenever the bird does this, and he seems to prefer to bite my right great toe, it puts my right leg into a spasm.

I think it is irritating my reflexes. This bird does it on purpose. He looks me in the eye and then looks at my toe. Although it is annoying, it is rather funny.

Thanks for the laugh!

With my hyperactive reflexes (my leg kicks briskly when tapped), I'd be afraid for the bird if he pecked at my toe!
              PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
              ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Originally posted by Lyndagail View Post

I could just imagine the bird looking you in the eye then at your toe sounds like my 18mth grand daughter just learnt to tickle and you can see her looking at your toes and then her fingers "try" to tickle. with trigers if I stretch my legs out especially in the morning when I'm half asleep, bang all my leg muscles tension up and feel like they are vibrating Craig

Comment

stretching works for me

Thank you to all that responded to my initial question about triggers for spasticity.

More recently, the majority of my spasticity occurs while I am in the pool, doing mild exercises. If I do a few gentle stretch of the affected muscles, I am better!
                  I never would have found the solution on my own. Your comments helped me to document my symptoms and to learn more about stretching.

Many thanks!

Comment

Exercising in a pool is awesome! It's great to be weightless and not worry about hurting myself when I fall.

That being said, I do know if the water is too chilly, my legs will spasm horrifically, and will continue to do that off and on into the next day.

It's hard to balance the water temperature to be cool enough to not get over-heated, and yet warm enough to not cause spasms. But I so enjoy my time in the water!
                    Echo
                    DX 2007 Started Ocrevus on 2/14/2018

"Some where over the rainbow...."

Comment

Working...
                    X