Copaxone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Copaxone

Hey there, so I was just diagnosed (after MRI of everything and positive spinal tap and all my symptoms). I KNOW I've had MS for years but no one would listen. My lesions are small (2 in brain and 1 in spine) but my symptoms are many and at times pretty bad. My doc said sometimes he has patience with a ton of lesions and have almost no symptoms and every once in a while (me) he has a patient who has very few lessons but debilitating symptoms.

Anyway, he has prescribed Copaxone...um...it's $2,000 a month! Even when I checked goodrx.com the cheapest was $1900 a month (cash). I guess the good news is my first month would be $2,000 but it automatically throws me in and out of the "donut hole" and straight into catastrophic which means all meds after that is 5% for me (brings it down to $270/month). I still have a crap ton of other meds (migraine, anti nausea, anxiety, muscle relaxers, pain meds - -2 failed back surgeries and neck issues).

So, I guess my question is has anyone tried this drug and if so is it or ? Also, my doc prescribed 40 mg...my friend is on same drug but smaller dosage (she has to take daily, I would take 3 days a week). She has a stock pile in her frig that she has to go thru and throw out because it expires (she had great insurance which sent her 90 day supply every other month so she had stock piled it...now she has insurance that's not as good BUT it only cost her $36/month so she said she would give me her stock pile)....any thoughts? thanks, looking forward to your answers...first time on forum!

** Moderator's note - Post broken into paragraphs for easier reading. Many people with MS have visual difficulties that prevent them from reading large blocks of print. **

I take Copaxone

Sorry you have gotten your official diagnosis...it really stinks to say the least.

I was diagnosed almost a year ago and started taking the Copaxone 40mg 3x per week at that time. So far, for me, it has worked. On my first 6 month MRI, I had no new brain lesions and only one small "nonreactive" new spinal lesion. My neuro firmly believes that lesion was from when I was in a very active state of disease, before the medication kicked in. It does take Copaxone a good 6 months to become fully effective. For me it is working, but I would not hesitate for a minute to switch drugs if I thought it wasn't. Just remember Copaxone is one of many drugs - if it doesn't work for you there are a lot of other options.

Before you pay, speak to Shared Solutions about assistance. For me, they pay for my copays so the cost of this medication is covered 100%. I believe they give even greater assistance - could be up to $500 per month. Just check with them.

Good luck!
    Diagnosed RRMS 4/7/15, symptoms for 8 months prior. Copaxone 4/27/15

Comment

thanks for the feedback

Originally posted by Boymom123 View Post
      Sorry you have gotten your official diagnosis...it really stinks to say the least.

I was diagnosed almost a year ago and started taking the Copaxone 40mg 3x per week at that time. So far, for me, it has worked. On my first 6 month MRI, I had no new brain lesions and only one small "nonreactive" new spinal lesion. My neuro firmly believes that lesion was from when I was in a very active state of disease, before the medication kicked in. It does take Copaxone a good 6 months to become fully effective. For me it is working, but I would not hesitate for a minute to switch drugs if I thought it wasn't. Just remember Copaxone is one of many drugs - if it doesn't work for you there are a lot of other options.

Before you pay, speak to Shared Solutions about assistance. For me, they pay for my copays so the cost of this medication is covered 100%. I believe they give even greater assistance - could be up to $500 per month. Just check with them.

Good luck!
      I did call Shared Solutions and all the funding is gone...it's a waiting game right now...
      thanks for the info...

Comment

Working...
      X