Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AFO with a skirt and stockings (you don't have to have one to help me with ideas)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AFO with a skirt and stockings (you don't have to have one to help me with ideas)

I've started wearing an AFO on one leg for dropfoot. I wear mostly skirts. My AFO is very light colored white (almost clear) up my leg. I don't mind wearing it with sandals (I'm light skinned so you see it but it doesn't "shout" out - I'm not trying to hide it). Under boots it's all gone.

Now my problem - I don't want to wear it on top of dark stockings. That would be just plain ugly looking -maybe if I was brown skinned I would have gotten a brown AFO - maybe ladies buy different colors to match their outfit and tights .

If you're reading this and don't have an AFO, you put the AFO into the shoe first and then you slide your foot in. So there's no way to put it inside a stocking.

I found part of a solution - In the winter when I want thick tights, and when I wear short boots (with tall the AFO doesn't show), I put on socks and I wear leggings (tights that only come to your ankle). I pull the leg of the legging up to my knee, put my foot into the AFO that's in the booty and then before I zip the boot I pull down the legging over my foot and AFO to my ankle. Perfect!!

So here's the problem with that great "solution" -

1- How do I wear shoes? My ankle where the legging and sock meet won't be hidden? (I don't want those leg warmers around my ankles)

2 -And the bigger problem -- leggings are thick like tights. In the spring I want to wear stockings on top of the AFO just like I do with the leggings There aren't, stocking leggings, are there?

Anyone have a suggestion?
    Dx 1/86 at age 23
    Copaxone 1993 - 2011 (except when I was pregnant or nursing)
    Tysabri - 2011 - present

I think the Spanx brand of stockings has footless stockings and tights?
    RRMS 2011, Copaxone 2011-2013, Tecfidera 2013-current

Comment

Smartknit makes an AFO liner that comes in white, black, and tan. It's a sock for just the AFO, so it covers the plastic. I used to wear one when I wore sandals to absorb moisture and keep it from chafing my leg.

You could possibly use the tan to match your hose. Thinking along that line, what about putting a knee-high on the AFO? Or a knee sock? I don't know how you'd make the top work. The smartknit one has a foldover that allows the strap to work.

Comment

Thanks for the ideas (I forgot about this thread since I'm still wearing sandals here and I wear the AFO straight - no sock). I'm probably crazy that I don't care about how it looks with no stockings but worry about how it looks over a stocking. I'm more concerned about the back than the band in front - I wear skirts long enough to mostly cover the band.

Sticking the AFO into a matching Knee High might do the trick. - Maybe I can make my own from an old matching stocking since you can have more for folding over in back to keep it up... This is going to be a big project .
        Dx 1/86 at age 23
        Copaxone 1993 - 2011 (except when I was pregnant or nursing)
        Tysabri - 2011 - present

Comment

Working...
        X