New Arrival

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Arrival

Hi folks, just found this site by accident over the weekend desperately looking for some understanding & supportive people.
    MS came as a shock to me although I knew something was wrong with all the nerve issues, double-vision and fatigue. Still find it hard to accept though. Diagnosed approx 18mths ago and prior to that given the gorgeous "clinically isolated syndrome" title. Trips off the tongue so easily

So, being rather disbelieving, straight after diagnosis I bought myself a new puppy. Beautiful cocker spaniel from working lines that has all the energy I never seem to have these days. He demands I get off my bum and take him out for a walk. I have two elderly springer spaniels too but they will quite happily curl up and snore these days. I'm training the new boy and will start competing with him in dog agility next month. I'm very fortunate that I still have reasonable mobility most days. Hell, if the worst happens, he can be trained to be my assistance dog instead.

Avonex was my choice of drug and seemed reasonable. Coupled with Vit D I've had nearly 18mths of zero colds or any of those annoying winter bugs that go around. Much more healthy than the 2-3yrs prior. I can inject others (used to be in medical profession) but me... struggle with that! However I managed relatively well for most of a year until I started hitting the wall. It starting hurting a lot and I had a couple of problematic weeks (needle came off, eep! & pen jammed). Now moved to Plegridy but that's not going so well although I love the pen. Easy to use, quick to do, no fiddling involved. Shame about the side-effects.

I'm still managing to work full-time hours but on a very flexible basis. Whatever time of day I can work is fine by my boss so I work around the bad days. Colleagues at work try to be understanding but it's hard for them to understand what they cannot see.

My personal aim is to keep doing what I love for as long as possible. Just need to find a way to cope better on the bad fatigue days.

Hi and welcome! I'm a big animal lover also and can't imagine trying to navigate this world without my critters.
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
    Anonymous

Comment

Hi you sound like me. When I was first diagnosed I had trouble with stuttering and just plain not being able to communicate with people. I just told myself if I can't communicate with people maybe I could communicate with Dogs. It worked and has lead to my training my own dogs as home help and service dogs. Who would have known dogs could have changed my life and hopefully lives of other people and dogs through peer assistance training. I don't think I would ever have found my love of dogs if I had not had MS diagnosis. I was a cat person for over 50 years!

Comment

Working...
      X