first and only

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

first and only

are there others out there like myself that are the only ones in their immediate family' (brothers, sisters, moms and dads) that has ms. i am doing some personel research and need help. thanks

Hi and welcome! Count me in as the first and only with MS, but there are other autoimmune diseases in the family at large. (Grandma and aunt.)
    1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
    Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Hello hendrixmw and welcome to MSWorld.

Through quite a bit of research through my family history --- I am the first and only one with MS.
      Diagnosed 1984
      “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

I'm the only one in my family with MS, thankfully.
        However, my granddaughter battles a different autoimmune disease. We're the only 2.
        "Hope for the best and plan for the worst. That way, all your surprises will be pleasant."
        Verin Mathwin, The Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan

Comment

Hi hendrixmw:

For what it's worth, I'm the only one in my family with MS.

You know, it isn't uncommon for someone new to MS to think that, because they're new and don't know the answer to something, that the question must be new to everyone else, too, and that no one else knows the answer.

Whatever it is you're looking for regarding causes of MS and inheritance, the research has already been done and valid statistics already exist that you can apply to your own case. There isn't anything new or valid that you're going to uncover on your own from asking random questions on the Internet. Are you sure you aren't trying to reinvent the wheel here?

Comment

I think that you are going on an interesting journey ! I can tell you that I looked at my family tree for signs of autoimmune disorders in any close relatives . I found out that one of my aunts (mothers sister) had Lupus for many years. I found that one of my first cousins was suffering from MG. but no one, of my closest relatives, has MS. Who knows when or where this nasty, miserable MS will 'pop up'! Good luck

Comment

My first cousin has MS FWIW. My parents and brother and sister are all fine.

Lisa
              Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
              SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
              Tysabri

Comment

I am the only one to have MS, but my paternal grandmother, her daughter, and my sister had/have RA. My niece flirts with lupus.

Comment

I am the only one in my immediate family but do have a cousin with it. Also one of my daughters has hashimoto thyroid disease which is autoimmune too. What is weird is that my next door neighbor, a neighbor two houses down, and the woman that lived in my house before me all have MS. In fact, a lot of MS in my community.

Comment

Supposedly I am the only one in our family from as far back as anyone can remember who has been diagnosed with an autoimmune disease. And mine had to be MS! Lucky me!

Comment

First and only

Yes; in immediate family. I was told, recently, that my grandfather's sister had it.

I do have a lot of other auto-immune diseases in my immediate family (sister, brother and nephew with Type I diabetes; sister, brother and niece with thyroid, daughter with eczema). But no one else with MS. My parents didn't have any of the above.

Counting my MS, that's 8 auto-immune diseases between 8 immediate family members (myself and two siblings plus the 5 children that the 3 of us have altogether).
                      ~ Faith
                      MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
                      (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
                      - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
                      - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
                      - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

I think other members brought up an important point about family members with autoimmune disorders too. I kind of lump them all together and think family history, not just immediate family, of autoimmune disorders is significant.

The other things to consider are years ago being disabled was something that often was swept under the carpet and lack of diagnostic tools. Not too long ago there wasn't access to MRIs so we might have had relatives with strange neuro symptoms, for example Aunt XYZ who couldn't walk good or was in a wheel chair, with no explainable reason. Perhaps there was undiagnosed MS?

Our family history is really only relevant going forward for those with of any type of familial disorders that they are enlightened enough to consider before making the choice to have bio children, imo.
                        He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
                        Anonymous

Comment

count me in

I am the first and only as far as I know. There is a history of neuropathy (Type 2 diabetes related) and some question of CMT, but no MS.

Interesting to note that of my immediate family, I am also the only one born in Minnesota. My family comes from the Detroit-MI area. No clue if that means diddly, but I guess something to note.

Thus far, several nieces and nephews later (all MN-born) I am the only one. I really hope to keep it that way!

Cheryl
                          Cranial VIth Nerve Palsy (2008, 2014); Partial Myelitis (9/2015); RRMS Dx (11/18/2015); Plegridy (2/2016)

Comment

inoculated for oversea by chance

Originally posted by Wonderdog lady View Post
                            Supposedly I am the only one in our family from as far back as anyone can remember who has been diagnosed with an autoimmune disease. And mine had to be MS! Lucky me!
                            Thank you for responding. I was trying to find former milatary that were inoculated for oversea deployment back in '69 but your background may be similar. By chance, were you inoculated in anticipation of heading out of country? My inoculation was Type 1 Trial 7 and my first indication of ms came about 30 years later. Does any of this sound familiar in your situation?

Comment

minor correction

Originally posted by hendrixmw View Post
                              Thank you for responding. I was trying to find former milatary that were inoculated for oversea deployment back in '69 but your background may be similar. By chance, were you inoculated in anticipation of heading out of country? My inoculation was Type 1 Trial 7 and my first indication of ms came about 30 years later. Does any of this sound familiar in your situation?
                              I accidentally reversed the inoculations which should be Trial 1, Type 7. I'm still trying to find/reconnect with other former army males that entered the service in Arizona in '69 that now have ms. This was a few months back but I don't remember what media I had used (don't think it was msworld though). Any help would be appreceated.

Comment

Working...
                              X