No announcement yet.

Excellent review of the role of inflammation in disease processes in general:

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Excellent review of the role of inflammation in disease processes in general:

I would love to hear from those more knowledgable about nutrition than I am. I'm just learning about all of this and am completely overwhelmed:

http://thedoctorweighsin.com/what-ca...mation-part-2/

When I read that article, I am also overwhelmed.

A few things that I do know about nutrition, related to inflammation:
    1. Choose:
      • whole grains
      • colorful vegetables (dark leafy greens, sweet potatoes, peppers, etc)
      • nuts (especially almonds and walnuts)
      • berries
      • fatty fish
      • low-fat dairy
      • ginger, turmeric
      • garlic, onions
      • coconut oil

2. Avoid or limit:
      • Foods high in sugar
      • Refined grains -- such as white rice, pastas, etc
      • Common cooking oils (safflower, soy, corn, sunflower)
      • trans fats or hydrogenated oil -- often found in processed products such as snacks foods, baked goods, crackers, etc
      • Artificial food additives
    ~ Faith
    MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
    - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
    - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
    - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Finding reliable information

I am beginning to search for reliable information about the role of diet in MS. This is not easy. There is very little research in this area. By research, I mean that a group of people were assigned to a specific diet and others with no change in diet, and over time, the expected effect was measured. In my search I have initially found that nutritional, medical and scientific communities have not done this research and do no have any conclusive answers.

On person's assumptions, such as MS is an inflammatory disease and therefore a diet low in inflammatory food is going to make a substantial difference in MS, does not mean that it works. We need well designed research to show proof that diet changes make a substantial difference.

I must admit that I have trouble adhering to diet changes, so possibly effective diets are not attractive. However, I do want to know what has worked for others.

I will continue to look information about the role of diet and MS and share this search with you.

Karen

Comment

Good advice

Originally posted by Mamabug View Post
        When I read that article, I am also overwhelmed.

A few things that I do know about nutrition, related to inflammation:
        1. Choose:
          • whole grains
          • colorful vegetables (dark leafy greens, sweet potatoes, peppers, etc)
          • nuts (especially almonds and walnuts)
          • berries
          • fatty fish
          • low-fat dairy
          • ginger, turmeric
          • garlic, onions
          • coconut oil

2. Avoid or limit:
          • Foods high in sugar
          • Refined grains -- such as white rice, pastas, etc
          • Common cooking oils (safflower, soy, corn, sunflower)
          • trans fats or hydrogenated oil -- often found in processed products such as snacks foods, baked goods, crackers, etc
          • Artificial food additives
        I just reviewed that MS Society Paper on Diets (http://www.nationalmssociety.org/Nat...a-06-26-15.pdf

To sum it up, your list are good. There is no evidence that any diet is helpful for MS, but it is possible that a healthy diet (such as what you have listed) could be helpful for MS and definitely is a good diet overall.

Comment

Working...
        X