Frustrated

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Frustrated

I see a lot advocating for exercise. The problem is when I do try to be active (relative term), it knocks me down for several days. Come 4:00-5:00PM, my body stops cooperating and moving becomes a chore.

Throw in a learning experience where I had a cold and took a shower. Afterwards, I almost had to crawl back to my room and meds. It took several hours for functionality to return.

The frustrating part is not being able to exercise without sacrificing several days to recover. When I do move around more during the day, I really pay for it that night. Is this common?

Hi Skidder,

When you took your shower was it quite warm (nice and warm and steamy?) If so that's part of the problem. Many of us with MS are heat intolerant and a warmer to hot bath or shower can cause excessive fatigue and weakness. Try taking a little cooler shower or alternate between warmer and cooler during the shower. With practice you will start to learn what water temperature works best for you.

A cold/virus, the flu, an infection, heat, cold, anything that increases your core body temperature can cause a temporary increase of your MS symptoms. Once your core temperature cools or the infection, flu, cold/virus resolves your MS symptoms should go back to what is normal for you.

Exercise ---

What and how you exercised before MS will more than likely not work now. Lets say you have been a couch potato for 20 years and decide it's time to get in shape. Well, you can't go full speed into exercise because your body isn't capable doing so after sitting for 20 years. You have to start out very slow and slowly build up.

This is how it is with MS and exercising. Very, very, slow and building up very, very, slow. Don't expect your body to respond or work like it used to. Exercise needs to based on a person's individual limitations and disabilities.

When I was diagnosed I had all but lost my mobility. My Neurologist told me the best thing I could do is walk. I looked at him and he told me "I know you can barely walk but trying to walk will be beneficial." He was right. I have had to go through the process of regaining my mobility more than once. It is a very frustrating process but has been well worth it. Through the years I have used many different types of exercise and equipment.

On a very personal note --- had I not continued to walk and exercise I would have most definitely been in a wheelchair very early on.

Not everyone will have the outcome I have with exercise but I refuse to stop. I currently use an Elliptical and a 4 station weight machine. My preference is my weight machine. I also do exercises I learned in Physical Therapy(PT). I do not do all of my exercises in one shot, they are spread out throughout the day based on my schedule on any given day.

A Physical Therapist is a good starting point when starting out as they can help you develop an exercise routine best suited for you.

Another good source is Active MSers:
    http://www.activemsers.org/exercises...ingwithms.html

Hope that gave you a little bit of insight into this topic.
    Diagnosed 1984
    “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

tks

Originally posted by SNOOPY View Post
      Hi Skidder,

When you took your shower was it quite warm (nice and warm and steamy?) If so that's part of the problem. Many of us with MS are heat intolerant and a warmer to hot bath or shower can cause excessive fatigue and weakness. Try taking a little cooler shower or alternate between warmer and cooler during the shower. With practice you will start to learn what water temperature works best for you.

A cold/virus, the flu, an infection, heat, cold, anything that increases your core body temperature can cause a temporary increase of your MS symptoms. Once your core temperature cools or the infection, flu, cold/virus resolves your MS symptoms should go back to what is normal for you.

Exercise ---

What and how you exercised before MS will more than likely not work now. Lets say you have been a couch potato for 20 years and decide it's time to get in shape. Well, you can't go full speed into exercise because your body isn't capable doing so after sitting for 20 years. You have to start out very slow and slowly build up.

This is how it is with MS and exercising. Very, very, slow and building up very, very, slow. Don't expect your body to respond or work like it used to. Exercise needs to based on a person's individual limitations and disabilities.

When I was diagnosed I had all but lost my mobility. My Neurologist told me the best thing I could do is walk. I looked at him and he told me "I know you can barely walk but trying to walk will be beneficial." He was right. I have had to go through the process of regaining my mobility more than once. It is a very frustrating process but has been well worth it. Through the years I have used many different types of exercise and equipment.

On a very personal note --- had I not continued to walk and exercise I would have most definitely been in a wheelchair very early on.

Not everyone will have the outcome I have with exercise but I refuse to stop. I currently use an Elliptical and a 4 station weight machine. My preference is my weight machine. I also do exercises I learned in Physical Therapy(PT). I do not do all of my exercises in one shot, they are spread out throughout the day based on my schedule on any given day.

A Physical Therapist is a good starting point when starting out as they can help you develop an exercise routine best suited for you.

Another good source is Active MSers:
      http://www.activemsers.org/exercises...ingwithms.html

Hope that gave you a little bit of insight into this topic.
      I played soccer for almost 30 years at a competitive level. I also broke and trained horses. Exercise, even simply walking around, is enough to do me in. For example, trying to stand and walk around the shop. I get to where I don't know if I can walk 20 feet to put something away or need a 30 minute break. Normal activity. If I push too hard, I'm done for several days. A good example. I worked in the office. I got home and it took 4 hours to take my shirt off. I sit most of the day at work, but do have to walk more. Another MS surprise.

The shower and heat never has been an issue. It has been more of one lately and I backed off the temp. That was the first issue.

Comment

Hi skidder, snoopy is right that PT is a good place to start. Their evaluation will help design a program that you can hopefully cope with. I've been through PT several times and each time I have started at a different level of exercise dependent on my condition and slowly been able to tolerate more. Ive started at anything from simple isotonic exercises to being on the bike right away ( low level) and doing more strenuous exercises. I've always found whatever the level, it has helped and I've made at least some progress.

Comment

Yes.......I play tennis, and i pay for it....

I play competitive doubles tennis. Most all of my matches are in the morning. I'm usually fatigued, brain fogged, and light headed the first set, until my adrenaline kicks in, and then I feel better during the 2nd and 3rd sets. Meanwhile, the other 3 people on the court have no idea how horrible I'm feeling.

Afterwards, when I come home, I can barely move, and it's a huge effort not to fall asleep by 8:00, which presents another problem. I'm supposed to captain a team this season, whose matches start at 8. LOL!!!!

I need to try some kind of drug, but I can't afford any more dizziness, or light headedness. Any suggestions????

Comment

Working...
          X