VA & AMPYRA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VA & AMPYRA

I saw my Neuro this past Friday and she gave me a RX for AMPYRA. However she told it had to be approved by the VA before it could be filled because it's so expensive. Seems odd to me because I doubt it's more expensive than the Avonex they supply me with.

Has anybody heard of this?
    Has anybody had their RX denied?
    Dx'd 4/1/11. First symptoms in 2001. Avonex 4/11, Copaxone 5/12, Tecfidera 4/13 Gilenya 4/14-10/14 Currently on no DMT's, Started Aubagio 9/21/15. Back on Avonex 10/15

It's hard to beat a person that never gives up.
    Babe Ruth

Originally posted by Waydwnsouth1 View Post
    I saw my Neuro this past Friday and she gave me a RX for AMPYRA. However she told it had to be approved by the VA before it could be filled because it's so expensive. Seems odd to me because I doubt it's more expensive than the Avonex they supply me with.

Has anybody heard of this?
    Has anybody had their RX denied?
    The neurologist probably cannot prescribe the medication without a review. The VA will automatically deny the prescription and send it for review. The reviewing medical professional will then approve or deny the script. I see the Chief of Neurology at the largest outpatient clinic in the entire VA and he cannot prescribe a DMT without review.

If the medication actually gets denied you can appeal the decision.
    You can also see your local Patient Advocate for help.
    If you haven't joined the PVA you should. If you run into problems they can advocate on your behalf.

Comment

Marco

Thank you for your response. I have read some of your posts and you are well learned. Now, I hate to sound so ignorant but what does PVA mean? If they deny the medication I would like all the help I can get to receive the medicine because I am have some real issues walking.

What is really baffling is I was prescribed Avonex and received that right away no questions asked.
      Dx'd 4/1/11. First symptoms in 2001. Avonex 4/11, Copaxone 5/12, Tecfidera 4/13 Gilenya 4/14-10/14 Currently on no DMT's, Started Aubagio 9/21/15. Back on Avonex 10/15

Babe Ruth

Comment

Originally posted by Waydwnsouth1 View Post
        Now, I hate to sound so ignorant but what does PVA mean?
        PVA = Paralyzed Veterans of America

PVA is accustomed to dealing with more complex injuries and ailments than most veterans groups. As a MS patient you qualify for membership and their advocacy programs. They frequently help veterans overcome VA roadblocks from claims problems to problems with treatment.

The VA probably considers Avonex an appropriate started medication that does not require any additional screening or secondary approval. When the VA wanted to start Tecfidera I had to provide proof that I had failed other medications and still required secondary approval. Ampyra probably requires a 2nd level of scrutiny -- God forbid they trust their doctors!

Comment

Marco

I like the "God forbid they trust their doctors" statement.

I really appreciate your help and advice. I am relative new to the VA system so I'm still learning all the little in's and outs of their system.

I'll look for my local PVA chapter ASAP.

Thanks again!!

Babe Ruth

Comment

Working...
          X