Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

pseudo-flare more than 24 hrs?

Hello,

Can a pseudo-flare last more than 24 hrs? I've read a pseudo-flare lasts 24 hrs or less but I don't believe I'm have an actual flare. I've been having it about 3 days now. I started having fatigue/weakness/dizziness 3 days ago that I believe was brought on by exercise (didn't workout that long, just 15 minutes) but started feeling fatigue/weakness/dizziness the next day. It was pretty bad on day 2 going to my part-time job. I did NOT feel safe getting behind the wheel to drive myself into work.

Seems like I'm having these pseudo-flare more often since last April after a really bad head cold. I get pseudo-flares whenever I'm sick or have inadvertently overexerted myself physically but usually they last more than 24 hours..they can last a few days to a couple of weeks.

I have no new lesions in the past 2+ years.

Anyone else experience pseudo-flares lasting more than a day?

Yep. Having it now. For a week. Saw neuro and did MRI and it showed no activity and no changes so it's just pseudo. I'm guessing I'm fighting some virus that's not giving me any symptoms other than ms fatigue and numbness
    Carrie

Comment

I've had more / stronger than usual fatigue for a week now. I'm not sure if this is a real relapse or a pseudo one. Most days during this past week I've had to lie down for a couple of hours and even sleep. During this I'm so exhausted that I can't move. But afterwards I feel ok, until the next day...

I've made some changes in my diet from the beginning of the year (stopped eating sugar and white flour except on Saturdays). Maybe this change has been stressful for my body and caused a pseudo flare-up, I don't know...

Comment

Definitely. I never know if I'm having a pseudo flare or just some bad days or a relapse unless the relapse is very disabling. I know there are criteria but still not ever sure when it comes to feeling worse for a few days or steadily feeling worse.

Everyday is something these days. I feel like it's disease progression without real extreme changes just decline with some days being worse. Steroids haven't helped last three times I had them. New spinal lesions on MRIs no flares though over last year. Who knows? I know that wasn't real helpful. a difficult confusing disease we have

Comment

I guess my response is different than the others.

I think, if you're symptoms are lasting more than 24 hours, that it is an MS flare, not just a pseudo-flare.

Being sick and other things that trigger pseudo-flares can trigger real flares too. My first onset was triggered by dental pain while awaiting a root canal.

It doesn't mean you need to change anything. If you get over them on their own, even a flare doesn't necessarily need to be treated.
          ~ Faith
          MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
          (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
          - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
          - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
          - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

I believe a pseudo-flare can last for a long time based on the circumstances. Until the psuedo-flare stimulus is removed the symptoms may not abate and may still not represent a real flare up.

Examples:
            1. You get an UTI or other infection. Until the infection resolves it could be possible to have increased symptoms without actually being in a flare.
            2. We have over 100+ days with possible 100+ degree temperatures. This entire time I have increased symptoms related to Uhthoff's, but not in an active flare.
            3. Allergy season may bring increased symptoms and not be the onset of a real flare up.

It also seems like you have noticed a pattern and that information should be relayed to your neurologist. Just my 2 cents and probably worth about 1/4 cent.

Comment

Originally posted by Marco View Post
              I believe a pseudo-flare can last for a long time based on the circumstances. Until the psuedo-flare stimulus is removed the symptoms may not abate and may still not represent a real flare up.

Examples:
              1. You get an UTI or other infection. Until the infection resolves it could be possible to have increased symptoms without actually being in a flare.
              2. We have over 100+ days with possible 100+ degree temperatures. This entire time I have increased symptoms related to Uhthoff's, but not in an active flare.
              3. Allergy season may bring increased symptoms and not be the onset of a real flare up.
              Yes, this has been my experience - increased symptoms from an infection/virus.

Last fall I had a virus (sore throat, earache, laryngitis, cough) and I had MS symptoms that came on suddenly and with a vengeance, even some things that I had never experienced before.

I have PPMS, and never had a relapse in the 18 years of MS. But I really thought that I was having one due to the severity and sudden onset.

Turns out that it was a pseudo-flare from the virus. It lasted over a week, but then my body returned completely back to the physical state that it was in before I got sick, thank goodness.

Take Care
              PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
              ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Working...
              X