Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Optic Neuritis with no symptoms?

Hi,
    Just got hold of some MRIs results that were done in 2013.

The radiologist said that one of my optic nerves was thinner than the other suggesting a prior bout of optic neuritis . My neuro didn't tell me!

I asked my neuro two days ago if a person can have optic neuritis without symptoms and she said yes.
    Anyone have optic neuritis via MRI, but no symptoms?
    10/2005 AFP/ MS?later:TN
    later:ADEM/MS,
    5/08 MS IVSM, Copaxone

These are the exact words, and 2011 not 2013.
    " The left optic nerve is asymmetrically smaller, without abnormal
    enhancement. The findings likely reflect sequela of prior optic
    neuritis".
    5/08 MS IVSM, Copaxone

Comment

Hi, I never thought I had optic neuritis either. I was referred to a neuro ophthalmologist because at a routine eye exam I was found to have some changes suggesting glaucoma. She did some tests (OCT and some others) and said no glaucoma but I probably had optic neuritis before. She also said new research has shown that this OCT test( optic coherence tomography) is a new method of tracking progression in MS by looking at retinal changes. It's a simple very brief test, much easier than MRI.
      Anyway, I've had some visual symptoms like trouble night driving but none of the typical ON symptoms. She said its possible to have had ON without knowing. I didn't think that was possible either, was shocked really.

Comment

Originally posted by AriD View Post
        Hi, I never thought I had optic neuritis either. I was referred to a neuro ophthalmologist because at a routine eye exam I was found to have some changes suggesting glaucoma. She did some tests (OCT and some others) and said no glaucoma but I probably had optic neuritis before. She also said new research has shown that this OCT test( optic coherence tomography) is a new method of tracking progression in MS by looking at retinal changes. It's a simple very brief test, much easier than MRI.
        Anyway, I've had some visual symptoms like trouble night driving but none of the typical ON symptoms. She said its possible to have had ON without knowing. I didn't think that was possible either, was shocked really.
        Hi Arid,

Thanks for your reply. Do you know if the nerve goes back to looking normal afterwards? Subsequent MRIs did not discuss the condition of my optic nerves.

I also have trouble night driving- but never heard that is a sign of optic neuritis. I have heard color perception, and blurry vision are. And that pain in the eye can also happen- which I have had but always thought was caused by sinus trouble.

hmmm
        5/08 MS IVSM, Copaxone

Comment

Hi dawlfin

I don't think nerve damage gets better but symptoms can. I also don't know when or what symptoms may have signified an episode of optic neuritis for me. The night vision, eye pain, and blurred vision I've had but no blurred vision like described for ON, no tunnel vision or color changes either. I guess I'm lucky not to have had a bad episode. Not so lucky with other symptoms😟 Take care.

Comment

Working...
          X