Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does spasticity affect a whole limb only?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does spasticity affect a whole limb only?

Can it cause patches of cramping and pain?
    My discomfort in my leg can vary.

Sometimes I have stabbing pains and muscle cramps in small areas, then later , the back side of my whole leg will feel like I pulled the muscles there. I try stretching and the feeling is the same.

I have good days, then it comes back.

So far I have not had spinal lesions.

Thanks,
    -dawl
    10/2005 AFP/ MS?later:TN
    later:ADEM/MS,
    5/08 MS IVSM, Copaxone

YES!

Spasticity frequently appears as muscle stiffness, muscle fatigue, muscle spasms (cramping, pulling), lack of coordination, gait problems, and even pain. A number of factors can increase spasticity like: fatigue, stress, heat/cold, illness, position, humidity, etc.
    I tend to compare spasticity like a rope that can be loosened or tightened. Normally, a rope is flexible and you can even tie it into knots, but pulled tight it loses it becomes rigid. If the rope is too loose you don't have enough muscle tone (wet noodle).

Mild spasticity can be tight and may respond well to stretching or warming the area. It's common for MS patients to report to the ER for chest pains or heart attack symptoms to discover they are having a MS hug. This is essentially spasticity of the muscles between the rib cage that can feel like a heart attack. Severe spasticity can immobilize someone with excruciating spasms and loss of function. For example: stroke victims may have a hand balled up due to spasticity.

Spasticity should not be considered "permanent" as many treatment options exist. Reducing your overall stress load can help spasticity, as can breathing exercises, meditation, prayer, etc. Other patients may prefer using heat/cold, massage, TENS units, acupuncture, etc. Physical and occupational therapy can often help develop an exercise program and help with activities of daily living. If spasticity is impacting your speech or swallowing a speech therapist can be a wonderful help. Many neurologists will freely prescribe spasticity medications like oral Baclofen or Tizanidine. Benzodiazepines, Gabapentin and even anxiety drugs may also be used. Several of the oral medications have unwanted side effects, especially in higher doses so keep before and after notes. For chronic spasticity in specific muscles Botox may be used. For more widespread spasticity a mechanical implant or surgery may be considered.

The key point is that spasticity is impacting your quality of life so treating it is important. I would suggest you start with the easier things like stretching before moving to medications. See if your doctor can have a physical therapist evaluate you and create an exercise/stretching program for your needs. As time goes on you may have to use more than one therapy, but spasticity is largely manageable.

Here's the NMSS link to spasticity.

http://www.nationalmssociety.org/Sym...oms/Spasticity

Comment

Thank you!

Originally posted by Marco View Post
      YES!

Spasticity frequently appears as muscle stiffness, muscle fatigue, muscle spasms (cramping, pulling), lack of coordination, gait problems, and even pain. A number of factors can increase spasticity like: fatigue, stress, heat/cold, illness, position, humidity, etc.
      I tend to compare spasticity like a rope that can be loosened or tightened. Normally, a rope is flexible and you can even tie it into knots, but pulled tight it loses it becomes rigid. If the rope is too loose you don't have enough muscle tone (wet noodle).

Mild spasticity can be tight and may respond well to stretching or warming the area. It's common for MS patients to report to the ER for chest pains or heart attack symptoms to discover they are having a MS hug. This is essentially spasticity of the muscles between the rib cage that can feel like a heart attack. Severe spasticity can immobilize someone with excruciating spasms and loss of function. For example: stroke victims may have a hand balled up due to spasticity.

Spasticity should not be considered "permanent" as many treatment options exist. Reducing your overall stress load can help spasticity, as can breathing exercises, meditation, prayer, etc. Other patients may prefer using heat/cold, massage, TENS units, acupuncture, etc. Physical and occupational therapy can often help develop an exercise program and help with activities of daily living. If spasticity is impacting your speech or swallowing a speech therapist can be a wonderful help. Many neurologists will freely prescribe spasticity medications like oral Baclofen or Tizanidine. Benzodiazepines, Gabapentin and even anxiety drugs may also be used. Several of the oral medications have unwanted side effects, especially in higher doses so keep before and after notes. For chronic spasticity in specific muscles Botox may be used. For more widespread spasticity a mechanical implant or surgery may be considered.

The key point is that spasticity is impacting your quality of life so treating it is important. I would suggest you start with the easier things like stretching before moving to medications. See if your doctor can have a physical therapist evaluate you and create an exercise/stretching program for your needs. As time goes on you may have to use more than one therapy, but spasticity is largely manageable.

Here's the NMSS link to spasticity.

http://www.nationalmssociety.org/Sym...oms/Spasticity
      Thanks so much for all your input. I did not think there was milder or spotty symptoms.

I really believe it is time to get back on Copaxone! My knee has given out many times and I fell down the stairs. Things are adding up.
      The doc already put me on baclofen. It helps some but not enough , yet makes me quite tired during the day. I think it is 10mg.

I see the neurologist tomorrow to go over my thoracic spine MRI . I will remember to ask about the things you posted here.

-Dawl
      5/08 MS IVSM, Copaxone

Comment

Hi dawl,

Drowsiness is a common side effect of Baclofen and hopefully, with time, your body will adjust to the medication. Marco gave you great information about spasticity.

Have also learned that weakness is one of the causes of knees giving out. An ankle foot orthotic (AFO) can keep also keep things in alignment to keep your knee stable. A PT can teach you exercises to strengthen your knee, and direct you regarding an AFO.

Hope your appointment goes well!
        Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

Originally posted by Kimba22 View Post
          Hi dawl,

Drowsiness is a common side effect of Baclofen and hopefully, with time, your body will adjust to the medication. Marco gave you great information about spasticity.

Have also learned that weakness is one of the causes of knees giving out. An ankle foot orthotic (AFO) can keep also keep things in alignment to keep your knee stable. A PT can teach you exercises to strengthen your knee, and direct you regarding an AFO.

Hope your appointment goes well!
          Thanks Kimba!
          5/08 MS IVSM, Copaxone

Comment

Working...
          X