HORRIBLE COPAXONE REACTION

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

20 mg vs 40 mg

I've had two full blown IPIR's. One was on 20mg and the second, three years later, was on 40mg. I didn't notice a difference in severity; they were equally awful. Obviously I'm a sample size of one, so your experience could be different.
    dx: RRMS 8/2010; rx: Tecfidera 2/2016; Copaxone 8/2010

Comment

Copaxone reaction.

I have been using the 40 mg for about 2 years. I have had about 6 reactions as you experienced, tight chest, sweating, flushing and SOB. I am about to stop this medication because I am having more MS symptoms that are not going away. I just saw my neuro today.
      Diagnosed 2006, RRMS.

Comment

I have heard of this and have experienced it. It is an IPIR, immediate post injection reaction. I was taking the daily injection and once a month I would have a reaction. The first one was very mild, a little bit of flushing and heart palpitation, lasting under 1 minute. Each subsequent one grew in severity until the final injection. This one caused severe backache, cold sweat, vomiting, racing heart, and finally blacking out. With this reaction I was advised by both my doctor and Shared Solutions to discontinue using this drug immediatly since I had developed an allergic reaction to it.

Comment

Hi all

I have been using Copaxone for over 19 years...July 30 will be 4 years on Copaxone 40. I have had 2 IPIR's. One happened about a year after I started Copaxone and the next one happened a year later.
          I knew what was going on so I just relaxed for 15 minutes after the injection and I was fine...I had the chest tightening and shortness of breath.

Take Care, Bob

Comment

laheisey,

A few weeks ago I experienced Shortness of breath, chest pain, rapid heart rate and lower back pain that dropped me to the floor 2 minutes after injecting. I know how scared you must have felt, as I was VERY frightened. This IPIR is something that happens. After things calmed down a bit my partner got on the internet and found that there were OTHERS who experienced this, but when I called Shared Solutions the next morning they had only heard of Shortness of breath and chest pain.

Everyone is different with their reactions and Shared Sols needs to inform their nurses of this. I really like Shared Sols nurses and think they are GREAT but they do not know everything about this drug and, while they are very caring and helpful, seem to not be trained on updated info regarding this drug.

I hope you have had better experience with subsequent injections.
            Peace to all,
            LM
            RRMS 11/11/2005, SPMS 20011 (guess I 'graduated')

Comment

Greetings, all.

6-6-2018

I took my Copaxone injection as I have been for the last 3 months.
              15 seconds later:
              - My face was on fire, swelling up
              - My vision was blurred
              - My head was pounding
              - I couldn't breath, couldn't walk
              - If "flushing" has something to do with using the bathroom, I tried to do that but fell out on the floor of my bathroom

My fiancée, a nurse of 30 years couldn't help me other than watch me gasp on the floor for breath and curse at the top of my garbled lungs.

I made it up to my feet finally and stumbled to our bedroom where I lied on my bed, couldn't move as my entire body was sore.

Lying down, I could breath better but then as I lied and just tried to calm myself, the chills started.
              3 hrs later, my body felt like an entire over stretched muscle (no bragging, I'm a muscular guy despite MS) and I couldn't move. We debated the hospital and I tried to get mobile again...

Crashed down on the living room floor.

I said enough, back to bed, hobbled my way there after taking a Tylenol 3 and said if I didn't feel any better by morning, hospital bound was I.

Coming morning, I was up and feeling LESS achy. Went to my internist and told him, he said "allergic reaction to the medicine that's been building up" - STOP TAKING IT, TALK TO YOU NEUROLOGIST

He didn't have tell me what I already decided, but it was good to hear. My neurologist said "Oh it's just an allergic reaction, you probably hit a vein"

I won't use foul language in such close company but that guy is A) out of his mind B) full of something C) no longer my neurologist D) was the one who directed me to Copaxone

I don't do fear but gang, I was scared. For my fiancée, for me.
              I am in search of a new neurologist, trying to get some of this Ocrevus stuff and I'm just doing everything else right to stay okay.

I won't got back to the floor. Not unless it's my own clumsiness.
              Definitely not due to Copaxone.

- Fighting is not a negative when your life is on the line. Stand for the ones that you love, protect yourself against that which will harm you, lead with a right of determination, jab with that left of hope and when all else fails, uppercut with hope. We all have many rounds left, my friends. We can all win. - Reverse Flash

REVERSE FLASH--> Zoom?

Comment

I had the dreaded IPIR a few years ago on Copaxone and I tried to continue but ended up quitting because I was afraid of it happening again. So that is on me. I had no problems, no side
                effects till that day.

But I don't believe the % they report that is happens so infrequently to people. Plus I also had SEVERE chills after the IPIR.

Between being told they don't know what causes the reaction still after all this time and the lack of knowledge regarding the reaction, I think the drug company needs to update their data and look into the reaction more.

Comment

I have been taking the 40mg glatopa for the last 6 or 7 months after having been on 20 mg glatopa and copaxone for years. I seem to have 2 or 3 reactions per year, chills, achy, etc but last night I had the absolute worse reaction I have ever had! I was freezing cold and shivering even though it was hot and I also got a bad headache and was very weak and sore all day. I wonder if the reaction is worse with the 40mg? I do like only having to take 3 shots a week but if I could avoid having such bad reactions I would go back to a nightly shot.

Comment

Copaxone reaction

Originally posted by MS TOO View Post
                    I have been taking the 40mg glatopa for the last 6 or 7 months after having been on 20 mg glatopa and copaxone for years. I seem to have 2 or 3 reactions per year, chills, achy, etc but last night I had the absolute worse reaction I have ever had! I was freezing cold and shivering even though it was hot and I also got a bad headache and was very weak and sore all day. I wonder if the reaction is worse with the 40mg? I do like only having to take 3 shots a week but if I could avoid having such bad reactions I would go back to a nightly shot.
                    I had a similar reaction after about 3 years on copaxone. I am concerned you may have an infectious process going on? Please see a doctor! These medications can suppress your immune system. You need some bloodwork ASAP, IMHO. I developed hives and got really sick. PLEASE call your doc or go to clinic or ER.

Comment

Working...
                    X