Divorce and MS Diagnosis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Divorce and MS Diagnosis

Unfortunately my husband of 33 years will not be able to continue on this journey with me and I believe it is time now to start researching and preparing myself for divorce. Does anyone have any suggestions or resources they could direct me to on how to protect my best interests in divorce? I see there are attorneys for divorce when a family has special needs children. I haven't found anything specific for a partner who has a chronic illness.
    Thank you.

Tough Advice

So sorry to hear of the divorce decision. The best advice is look out for yourself. Being the length of your marriage and disabled status you are entitled to provisions for your care and well being in the future. Save yourself from a nasty court case - go thru arbitration. Whichever lawyer you choose should suggest this and also set up a daily living trust to protect your proceeds from the divorce. Good Luck to you, stay strong. God Bless and guide you through this difficult time. marol

Comment

Originally posted by marol View Post
      So sorry to hear of the divorce decision. The best advice is look out for yourself. Being the length of your marriage and disabled status you are entitled to provisions for your care and well being in the future. Save yourself from a nasty court case - go thru arbitration. Whichever lawyer you choose should suggest this and also set up a daily living trust to protect your proceeds from the divorce. Good Luck to you, stay strong. God Bless and guide you through this difficult time. marol
      Thank you Marol. That is always good advice. With the reality that MS is here to stay and what that means for both of us long term, I really have to mitigate the damage to my body, mind and spirit by limiting as much stress in my life as possible. Living with someone who does not want to accept it and cannot be emotionally supportive is difficult. I just cannot hide the effects of this disease and my symptoms like I have been for 20 years. I believe that if God has brought me to it he will bring me through it. It's not a decision I ever wanted but it seems inevitable at this point.

I'm not sure what you mean by disabled status. Is that the term used when one has been approved for Disability? I have not gone through that process yet. I'm not sure what my future will look like and what I may need. That's why I thought that there may be an advocacy group or professional group that works with people in my situation to be sure they have what they need for the long haul.

Thanks again.

Comment

Hi solaceseeker and welcome~

I'm sorry to hear of your circumstances. My suggestion would be to call the National MS Society 1-800-344-4867 and ask for help in contacting your local chapter. Local chapter might have suggestions and/or a MS navigator who you can talk with.

I wish you luck with this process. I'm sure it must be hard on you.
        1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
        Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Disability Status

[QUOTE=solaceseeker;1488250]
          I'm not sure what you mean by disabled status. Is that the term used when one has been approved for Disability? I have not gone through that process yet. I'm not sure what my future will look like and what I may need. That's why I thought that there may be an advocacy group or professional group that works with people in my situation to be sure they have what they need for the long haul.

Thanks again.[/QUOTE

What I meant is have you been formally diagnosed by a professional? Also have you claimed disability status on your yearly state income taxes?
          From your post it sounds like your MS hasn't progressed much. Do as Seasha suggested reach out to NMSS they can steer you in the right direction.GoodLuck Marol

Comment

Thank you

Thank you for the welcome and the suggestions.
            I will call NMSS next.
            Fortunately for me, the MS symptoms were bearable for 18 years without medication. I've recently started on medication and accepting that this disease is here to stay. I'm not able to work at this time but I hope to again. Time will tell. Trying to remain positive and strong.

Comment

How are you doing

I was wondering how you are doing?

Comment

Working...
              X