Anyone have a WalkAid?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone have a WalkAid?

I have had MS for (officially) 12 years -- unofficially approximately 29. Anyway, my balance, leg strength and foot drop on the right is worsening, so started PT again this week. The therapist introduced me to an assistive device to counteract my foot drop (Bioness Brand). It seems very helpful, but I want to hear from those of you that have one, or have used one, to get the real scoop on it! Does the electrode stim become less effective over time? Does it become uncomfortable/annoying after a while? Did you pay for it or did insurance cover some of it?

So far my experience with it is minimal but I'm impressed that it helps me walk more fluidly. Any feedback you can provide would be much appreciated!

I'm not sure what you mean. I had a brace - plastic form that was made to support my foot that went up to my calf. I hated it. It hurt my ankle and was hard to wear. That being said, I wish I could have and wish there was something to help me now.

~Tricia

Comment

I have a Walkaid...

Hi!

I have had a WalkAid for 3 years this Feb. I have been diagnosed for 30 years (I'm 56). I have foot drop on my left side. The WalkAid has really helped. I wear it almost every day from about 9am to 6pm. I don't have to work so hard to bring that foot up so I don't trip. That helps with my fatigue.

I also went to PT and do my stretching, balance board and stationary bike daily. Some days less than others but I always try and do some. The electrical stim does bother me later in the day when I am more tired. After I remove the WalkAid there seems to be some muscle memory that lasts for about a day.

It's recommended to change the electrodes every 2 weeks. They are expensive ($600 for a years supply). I have tried to stretch the 2 weeks into 4 but then I had to turn up the intensity of the stim and that caused some irritation/burning. So now I change then every 2-3 weeks.

I paid for it out of pocket. It was a little over $5000 and if I remember correctly it came with a years supply of eclectrodes. I just received my 2nd replacement set.

I haven't had any trouble to speak of wearing it under my clothes, jeans, leggings etc. I found a brand of knee boots that have an extra zipper for wide legs and they work great. Most people don't even realize that I am wearing it. In the summer I wear capris and the WalkAid is visible. Most people think that it is a tens unit.

I know that it doesn't work for everyone but for me it's really been helpful. Maybe you can arrange for a trial period. The WalkAid only helps with foot drop and not the hip flexor which the Bioness helps. That may be in my future.

I use a cane or trekking poles. I take Gilenya and Ampyra. Every little bit that helps keep me active and mobile is so worth it to me.

I hope it works for you as well as it has for me.

Take care and Good Luck!

Comment

good to know, thanks!

Thank you for replying with your experience using the WalkAid. My weakness is ln my right side, and hsving had a right hip replacement 5 yrs ago further compounded it. Ugh. But, up side is no more hip pain!

Since this technology is all new to me knowing of the recurring cost for the electrodes is helpful. At any rate, the device does seem promising! Thanks again!

Comment

I have no knowledge about Walkaids, but here's an older post with some more feedback that you might be interested in - http://www.msworld.org/forum/showthr...hlight=walkaid

If you decide to get one, I hope it helps you!
          1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
          Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Trixi,
            If you receive any of the MS Society magazines they usually contain an ad about the WalkAid. I believe what you have is an AFO which is a brace that is fixed, so it doesn'5 allow the foot to bend...it holds it rigidly in a dlexed position. I have one that is metal and while it serves the purpose of not allowng my foot to drag, it is miserable to manage getting in/out of the car, accelerating is awkward....not at all a perfect appliance in many situations! Plus it's weighty.

There are sev r ral MS'ers I know who wear what you described as having. They wear some sort of protective (longer) hose underneath it to prevent rubbing.

Personally, I think nothing is perfect, just an improvement if fitted properly...we all need a great Orthotist on our team!

Comment

I use a Walkaide after trying the Bioness

Originally posted by mgb4ms View Post
              I have had MS for (officially) 12 years -- unofficially approximately 29. Anyway, my balance, leg strength and foot drop on the right is worsening, so started PT again this week. The therapist introduced me to an assistive device to counteract my foot drop (Bioness Brand). It seems very helpful, but I want to hear from those of you that have one, or have used one, to get the real scoop on it! Does the electrode stim become less effective over time? Does it become uncomfortable/annoying after a while? Did you pay for it or did insurance cover some of it?

So far my experience with it is minimal but I'm impressed that it helps me walk more fluidly. Any feedback you can provide would be much appreciated!
              I've had a Walkaide for about 4 years, I chose it after trying the Bioness.

Aside from the Bioness folks being ill prepared, my main objection to the Bioness L300 is that a sensor pad needs to be placed under your heel, a small unit strapped to your ankle, another below your knee, and another device is usually worn on your arm. Way too complicated!

The Walkaide is a single unit worn just under your knee. My guess is that Walkaide patented their approach and Bioness has to go another route.

When I wear the Walkaide and have it properly set - it can be fussy, I should return to UCSF and have it reprogrammed - it works very well for me. BTW forty pads can be bought on line for about $340 delivered.

On other posts I've written about my success in relearning how to walk these last few months; w/o a doubt the W has been a part of this.

PS - If you have foot drop you probably need a cane; if your balance is as bad as mine I suggest a pair of forearm canes aka European crutches. If you use crutches you can buy inexpensive sets on Amazon, but if walking easily is a matter of concern find a pair with really good handles. The ones I bought late last year are made in British Columbia by a small firm - sidestix - the difference between using them and my previous ones is enormous but they are EXPENSIVE. I doubt that Medicare or my secondary carrier will cover a small fraction. The ones I have are heavy but work well enough that I'm not aware of the weight when using them, I haven't tried Thomas Fetterman, it seems he makes lightweight good ones.

Comment

Thanks for the response!

Been using the Bioness at PT the past few weeks. I am impressed with it but was wondering how the controller was used while wearing the leg cuff. Was told it has to be programmed, then a controller is worn around the neck. The WalkAid carries the controller within the cuff. Will definitely attempt to get one on trial before deciding anything. My therapist sees an improvementin my gait / stride, I feel more confident walking when wearing it. I'd be truly happy if it allows me to walk futher - esp. Without a cane! Probably not realistic, but....maybe?!

Comment

I have used the Bioness L300 for years. It has absolutely helped my foot drop. I paid for it, no insurance help, but I did buy a reconditioned one.

I tried Walkaide, it did not work well for me.

Good luck!
                  Linda

Comment

I use the Bioness

I have had a Bioness for several years. I find it very helpful. I use it for about 8 hours a day. There is some irritation from the cuff, but that can be easily mitigated with mole skin. The advantage of the Bioness over the WalkAid is that a second cuff to stimulate the knee to lift can be added to the Bioness and the two cuffs work together. The Bioness is expensive and my Medicare insurance would not cover it. When I use the Bioness for several days, it appears that my nerves are trained and I don't need it. I have to start using it again a few days later as the effect does not last. Good luck with your decision Irene

Comment

I have used the Walkaid for 3 years and it has worked well for me. Unlike others I buy square pads online from Amazon and they are nowhere near as expensive as the official pads. My PT figured that one out. My neuro showed me that I can use an alcohol prep pad to clean the skin under the electrode pads and also extend the life of the pads (one set lasts me a month). Also I went to a tattoo artist and had him tattoo the electrode positions on my leg (nothing fancy), no magic marker for me. Hope this is helpful.

Comment

Working...
                      X