Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help advice with Optic Neuritis!

Good Evening everyone~

After 7 years this is my first experience with ON,although some discomfort that I would say feels deep in my eye is nothing compared with the disturbing visual effects!!

Has anyone else experienced this~ While looking at anyone I see like a shoe tread mark to the left of their face..that also shoots purple&blue colors around it,along with a wavy pattern with it!!!!!! Wow,I have a renewed sympathy for ppl suffering with this symptom,more than I have.

This flare I was about 2 weeks in when I had my first experience,and it hid for quite a bit but after getting overheated from from doing some much needed vacuuming it came back!!!Once I cooled down it disappeared other than the bit of pressure/pain in my eyeball itself.

Anyone else had a similar situation,I really appreciate ANY input that you might have to help me understand this new symptom.
    thanks
    Candice
    candice

Hi Candice:

Originally posted by candice View Post
    Has anyone else experienced this~
    Yes! Consider it a lesson in the science of how the visual system works. The patterns you're seeing represent which nerves going through your optic nerve were affected by your ON, causing parts of your vision to drop out. The shooting colors represent that some retinal cells' signals aren't getting to the brain through the optic nerve and some glare from the nerve damage.

After repeated episodes of ON affecting both eyes, I have a constant moire pattern in both eyes, and glare can obliterate my vision completely. In addition to large areas where my vision never came back, I also have tiny Swiss-cheese holes in my vision. That's how my optic nerve damage shows up.

The effects of ON can be quite spectacular sometimes. But that's just how the eyes and brain work.

Originally posted by candice View Post
    This flare I was about 2 weeks in when I had my first experience,and it hid for quite a bit but after getting overheated from from doing some much needed vacuuming it came back!!!Once I cooled down it disappeared other than the bit of pressure/pain in my eyeball itself.
    That's an episode of Uhthoff's phenomenon -- a worsening of symptoms caused by overheating of demyelinated nerves. (You can google it for a detailed explanation.) If your visual (or any MS) symptoms get worse with exertion, overheating or fever/illness, they'll get better when you cool back down and the electrical signals are flowing smoothly again.

What you've described is pretty typical for MS.

Comment

Optic Neurits

Thanks jreagan70 that was so informative...Sorry for the delay in my reply...rough few days~however much improved,eyes as well!
      I was just reading about Uhtopphs(sp) syndrome & your right with time & cooling it did disappear..

Thanks again,
      Candice
      candice

Comment

Optic Neuritis

Wanted to add this to my last reply~ jreagan70..that's horrible that your vision is that detiorated...it must make you a bit nauseous&off balance ..It certainly would be challenging for you

Take care and thanks again for your reply
        Candice
        candice

Comment

I always say living with ON is like living an optical illusion. Things are the wrong colour, shape, size, even seeing where something is located is affected. My left eye never recouperated from ON in 2005. The pupil is non-responsive but the tiny bit of vision I have in it messes up what the right eye sees. If I close the left eye, which happens automatically, the right sees perfectly. I"m 50 and have never needed glasses, the right eye is 20/20 and I can read the eye chart to the second last line.... if the left eye is closed. If it's open, I can barely make out the first letter.

I hope it clears up for you soon, it's so frustrating to live with. Good luck.

Jen
          RRMS 2005, Copaxone since 2007
          "I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am."

Comment

Vison issuea as well

I was diagnosed in 2006. I was doing well with minor MS issues. I continued to work full time as a nurse until this past October. I woke up to blurred vision in my right eye ( like a camera that is out of focus). I continued to work for about 3 days after the onset. I started with double vision in my "good" eye. I tried so hard to ignore it but my deph perception was effected. I started to trip, fall down and up stairs and jump at imaginary objects that were no where close to me. I work on a computer all day documenting. I took a week off work hoping it would subside, 3 months later after steroid infusions, rest, several trips and eye tests and focal tests ( which were all ok). I am still suffering. I had to leave my job because my FMLA ended. This is one of the most irritating aspects of MS for me. Physically I feel great, I am healthy overall. I cannot safely return to work as a nurse and I have no idea when if ever this will go away!!!!!! I am also noticing a lot more tremors when at rest that I ever have before, MRI showed no new lesions.
            Diagnosed 2006, RRMS.

Comment

Working...
            X