Not officially diagnosed...yet!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not officially diagnosed...yet!

Things really stareted off in May 15 with odd skin sensations on my left side that eventually has turned into a "muted" skin senation from hip to ankle. On a trip in June, my feet were on fire. I had trouble walking around San Antonio sight-seeing. I had a couple falls...one in May, one in June, one in September, one last weekend at my mom's. My balance is shot...I've only started feeling dizzy since November.

At first, I thought it was from my bad back. Had laminectomy in 05. Have 2 bulging disks now. After seeing my general neurologist for the back, and pain clinic for spinal injections, I asked for a brain MRI on the off chance something more was going on.

MRI showed white matter disease consistent with MS. Evoked potentials was difficult to interpret...eyes and ears fine, but with deficits in arms and sorta in legs. I say sorta because we know I have nerve damage from 10 years ago. Also he couldn't get a good reading on right leg because when they did the left, they set off my back pain. Next was LP. Let me just say, the spinal tap headache is no joke. I ended up in the ER on Christmas to get a blood patch. Anyways, LP came back with 4 o-bands positive for MS, but the neuro thinks it was a false positive due to blood in the fluid? So now I'm being referred to KU Med's MS clinic. Which is fine by me, just wish it was sooner than March. That's my story for now!

Welcome to MSWorld ladycaralaw! I am sorry your problems led you here, but you've turned to the right place for questions answered and lots of support. Sorry too you ended up in the hospital on Christmas! No fun

It was smart and proactive of you to ask for a brain MRI to find out what else was going on. I hope your appt in March goes well for you. You might ask to be put on a cancellation list to get in sooner.

Take care
    1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
    Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Thank you for the welcome!

Thank you Seasha. I was put on the cancellation list when they made the appointment. Although I know my symptoms could be caused by having 2 bulging disks pressing on nerves, it just felt "off" if you know what I mean. I've dealt with back issues for years and this just didn't feel the same.

Comment

Thank you for the welcome!

Thank you Seasha. I was put on the cancellation list when they made the appointment. Although I know my symptoms could be caused by having 2 bulging disks pressing on nerves, it just felt "off" if you know what I mean. I've dealt with back issues for years and this just didn't feel the same.

Comment

Update to my introduction!

So, I finally saw the MS neuro! The news is...I definately have MS and have probably had it for easily 10 years. She didn't label the type of MS as she wants an MRI of c & t spine (the one test I didn't have). She ordered more blood work which I got all but JCV done (my lab (Army) doesn't do that one). Got the vitamins and varicella titer. To me, it sounds like she is considering the higher powered meds.

In the meantime, I'm back to work as normal. As normal as I can considering my balance and mobility issues lol. I will update again with next appointment! Take care everyone!

Comment

Thanks for the update! It's always better to know than to second guess and wonder what's going on, but nevertheless, I'm sorry to hear.

You take care going forward
            1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
            Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

better late than never, WELCOME TO MS WORLD! What a lousy Christmas present you got. I am glad you at least finally got a definite answer, even though it is not something you want to hear! Like was already said, it is better not to constantly second-guess everything.
              Take your time deciding on a DMD , ddo your research and remember that the choice is all yours and no one else's. I wish you only the best of luck!
              hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
              volunteer
              MS World
              hunterd@msworld.org
              PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

I had the blood patch too.
                Keep us posted on what meds you get put on. I'm sure you're in good hands!

Comment

Working...
                X